Thread: Silvers or Pinks Today

Default Silvers or Pinks Today

I recently moved to Anchorage from the interior. Since we finally got some nice weather today I'd like to take my wife out fishing. Anyone have any suggestions for fishing in or around anchorage at about 5-6pm?

Any Silvers in Campbell Creek between Dowling and New Seward yet?

I've never been, but I'd consider driving to Bird Creek. However I'm worried that with high tide being at 3:43pm the fishing would be slow by the time I could get out there.

What sort of gear do I need for silvers? I've been reading that Vibrax are good. What lbs line do I need? Do I need a leader and if so what test?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the area and just trying to get my feet wet

If you're OK with pinks, don't worry about the tides at Bird Creek too much. A size 3 or 4 vibrax will be fine. Go with 15 or 20 lb test on your reels. An additional leader is unnecessary.

Default Campbell?

Quote Originally Posted by neyoung View Post
    I recently moved to Anchorage from the interior. Since we finally got some nice weather today I'd like to take my wife out fishing. Anyone have any suggestions for fishing in or around anchorage at about 5-6pm?

Any Silvers in Campbell Creek between Dowling and New Seward yet?

I've never been, but I'd consider driving to Bird Creek. However I'm worried that with high tide being at 3:43pm the fishing would be slow by the time I could get out there.

What sort of gear do I need for silvers? I've been reading that Vibrax are good. What lbs line do I need? Do I need a leader and if so what test?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the area and just trying to get my feet wet
    Not sure about Campbell Cr. yet - I was there last Sunday afternoon, and didn't do any good. There were a few others there, no one had caught anything. Thought about going back this afternoon, but still haven't decided between fighting mosquitos and bears at Campbell, or fishermen and mud at Ship.

If you're using fly gear, I use a 15lb leader, about 6-8ft long. If you're using spinning/casting gear 15lb should be plenty, no leader necessary. Not sure about lures - I use flies, but think a lot of guys use vibrax or pixies or soak eggs. Good luck!