Thread: Fall Migration

Default Fall Migration

Last week I saw a couple of big flocks of geese flying high and heading south, looked like whitefronts. Also saw a lot of small flocks of cacklers this weekend 20 miles north of town out on the coast, guess they will start moving south pretty soon too.
    I have noticed over the years that when the blackberries are getting ripe the geese start moving south, feeding on these berry patches along the way. Almost time to clean the dust off of my old shotgun, break it down and give it a thorough cleaning.

THanks for the up date keep them coming

Default sounds of geese

Woke up this morning to the sound of rain on the roof, looked out my window and the sky was overcast and gray, IMO "perfect waterfowl weather". After I finished my first cup of coffee I went outside to get a cool breath of air, air smelled so fresh and clean. As I looked across the river toward the north I spotted in the distance a flock of geese, as they got closer I could hear them calling to each other repeatedly, they were whitefronts. The geese flew right over me, birds looked healthy and fat and eager to be on their way. Man it was a nice sight to see those geese and hear their morning call. A few minutes later here comes a flock of ducks coming from the same direction, they were a couple dozen pintails. Well guys I am sure there will be a few more heading in your direction throughout the day. The fall migration is underway.

i enjoyed reading your thread. it was awesome to hear them pintails are movin. pintails are usually the first bird to head south. My job has me working outside and i have been looking into the sky more lately but haven't had the pleasure of seeing the birds as of yet

We had our first light snow this past week. Then throughout the day we started seeing flock after flock of geese flying high in the sky heading south. Some villagers even saw snow geese, which got everyone excited. Years ago there used to be alot of snow geese that migrate through, these days they are a rare occurrance. The cooling temps and first snow must have triggered this late season migration, I believe this is the last of the geese flying through, soon the tundra swans will follow, and then it will be the end of the fall migration.