Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Taxidermy questions

Default Ask Taxidermy questions

I originally started a post entitled free help, however in my lack of thinking, it may have been missed by some because of my error in titling the post. I am reposting my offer to give any advice that I can concerning taxidermy, field care etc. For you other taxidermists reading this feel free to jump in. My end goal here is to help people and get a better product to us to work with. PM me, call me, email me with any questions. HOWEVER, I am planning to go hunting myself, late tonight and I anticipate being home Thursday night. So if I don't respond directly, this is why. I have some tutorials made up on how to split lips turn ears etc. I have sent them to a few other people and they have found them helpful. Feel free to ask!

Happy hunting, be safe,

Tracy
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Default Bear.

Going on a two week moose hunt this fall and I was going to take some salt in case I get a bear and I was wondering how much salt should we take? We are hunting the Dulbi out of a jet boat.
    Will

Default Salt

If you are going to do moose shoulder and bear life size I would take a minimum of 35lbs of salt. 15lbs for moose cape 20 lbs for bear. You're on a boat I would take a lot more, 50 to 60 lbs.

I hope this answers your question. Now I need to go to bed for my hunt in the morning. So if you ask a question I will not be here till friday.

Tracy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I am hunting close to Anchorage and If I am lucky enough to get a sheep I will be able to get to the taxi within 48 hours. I am hiking in and would rather not haul a bunch of weight. If I keep the hide cool can I get away with not salting? I also don't know how to do the head since I usually leave that part of the animal in the field. Is there a simple quick way to get the hide off the skull to lighten the load for the trip out?
    My plan right now is to butcher/bone the meat and bring the cape out with the whole head still attached, I have at least 14 miles and probably more like 20 to get out with that load so anything to lighten it would be a blessing!

LuJon - I'm no taxidermist, but I've done it the same with all of my sheep with good results. All of my sheep have been walk-in hunts similar to what you describe in that I would be home shortly after a harvest. As such, I have never carried salt and have never had a problem with hair slipping. I also don't really trust my own skills when it comes to skinning out a skull, so I've always left the whole skull in. It it heavier, but not by all that much. If you can visit your taxidermist before heading into the field - particularly in the next month while he'll have heads coming in - maybe you can arrange for him to show you how to properly skin out the skull. Splitting it correctly to the horns, skinning the eyes, and turning the ears are the more challenging parts from my understanding. I'll figure it out one of these days, but as for me, I'll be leaving it in if I'm lucky enough to get one in October.

Default Field Taxidermy

Why don't you just buy the video set..... Wilderness Taxidermy from Larry Bartlett

Default Bear Claws

I have the paws from a Black Bear, what does it take to get the claws out, cleaned up and used for key chains, necklace, etc.?????

Default Ttc ???

Whats your take on TTC(Taxidermy Trophy Care) as a replacement for salt on capes???

Just a thought on caping.
    A few years back I caped every animal my family harvested for 2 years. We had no intent to mount any of them. I became familiar with which knives to use and where to be careful. I then salted the capes and waited. I looked for slippage or rotting and got pretty good at the whole caping thing.

Default Eropean mount and velvet

Wondering if you know anyone in Alaska that does this or has tried. I have read online that it can be done but the horns have to be detaches from the skull plate. Then cleaned and treated seperatly, and reatached. I would like to have a caribou done like this.
    Thank you

Default Me thinks

We need a taxidermy forum. Only makes sense you think.

Quote Originally Posted by garrison1012 View Post
    Wondering if you know anyone in Alaska that does this or has tried. I have read online that it can be done but the horns have to be detaches from the skull plate. Then cleaned and treated seperatly, and reatached. I would like to have a caribou done like this.
    Thank you
    neal at the fairbanks fur tannery does this, he does pretty good work also, it a very freaking expensive process though!!!!

Default fairbanks fur

went there today before I read your post to trun in a hide and talked to him and he said he will do it. Yeah it is going to cost about 500 bucks all together, but I think it will be worth it and cool looking! Thanks, does anyone have apicture of one done like that?

garrison I have one done that he did and like you said it is expensive but it was my wifes 1st bou and it cost 500 bucks.If your in the N.P. area pm me and come by the house Ill show ya.Oh! nd a velvet mount is a dust trap

Default Garrison

I was able to put a couple of pictures of that european mount on my profile pages.Look in the Alaska Critters folder and I have two in there.Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...I also don't really trust my own skills when it comes to skinning out a skull, so I've always left the whole skull in. It it heavier, but not by all that much...
    I agree, Brian. My taxi always says he likes to cut rather than sew. We've even taken whole caribou heads out on packs (well my bro packed it out...). I'm sure I could learn, but hey, a little extra exercise never hurt! Once I go on the 'ol 10 day sheep hunt someday, I'm sure I'll be learned up by then.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I agree, Brian. My taxi always says he likes to cut rather than sew. We've even taken whole caribou heads out on packs (well my bro packed it out...). I'm sure I could learn, but hey, a little extra exercise never hurt! Once I go on the 'ol 10 day sheep hunt someday, I'm sure I'll be learned up by then.

Yeah I hope the wife doesn't shoot a hawg in when we got out next week for 'bou because once again I'll be the pack mule with the whole head. A nice little bull would be perfect cause then its just a matter for cutting the antlers off and leaving the head and cape. Oh well, it'd be worth it though once its on the wall if its a monster. Just as long as it ain't as big as any of my 'bou .

Default Looking for a good sheep taxidermist

I recently shot a decent ram. Am looking for a reasonably priced, good taxidermist for a sheep shoulder mount near Wasilla. Thanks,

Default I'm back

Just returned from my hunt, 'sucessful' did not kill anything, but it got me out of the shop before the madness ensued. So, therefore in my mind it was sucessful.....

I have recieved lots of PM's and emails, it will take me some time to respond, but I hope to have eveyone's questions answered by the start of next week.

As always, glad to help,
    Tracy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Default why

Quote Originally Posted by emartens123 View Post
    Why don't you just buy the video set..... Wilderness Taxidermy from Larry Bartlett
    I am offering this for free, and what if when your done with the video you still have questions? But go ahead and get it if you would like, they do have some good info in them.

Tucker
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast