Thread: Considering Alaska move

Default Considering Alaska move

Ok, I have read quite a bit about rural life in Alaska and I understand that even a VERY small mistake, mishap or lapse in judgment would result in death not just inconvenience. I currently live in central Alabama I lived here on very isolated property off the grid for two years. When I moved onto my land I had $16.00 to my name no shelter and no food LOL. Youth and stupidity reigned. I made it but it was not romantic fun or heck even enjoyable at times. BUT I would not hesitate to do it again. The diffrence I know now is in the details. I had the primitive tools required to survive in Alabama AND most importantly there was the opportunity to make money as needed to replace gear, buy needful items ETC. I for the life of me can't figure out what the heck you guys do to replace consumables. I understand hunting but reloading supplies are needed. Fishing well you need lead, hooks and so on. When you are so far out supplies are air dropped what the devil do you do to pay for the air drop and the supplies? I am not trying to be nosy about anyones specific finances I am just curious. Then there are other obvious questions that come to mind. In Alabama if you own 10 to 20 acres there is no issue getting enough firewood for the winter on a sustainable scale. I cant see that happening in your environment on a sustainable scale that is. I have no intention of jumping on a plane this coming summer but I would like to find a plot of land in the next three years. Anyone with experience's or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you do a lot more reserch. This is nothing like Alabama up here. Mistakes mean your life.

Thats actually why I posted here to ask for any advise anyone might be willing to offer. Other than don't do it. For instance here we deal with snakes constantly. I went to get a box of Tea from the larder shelf one night only to glance up first and find a 3 1/2 foot Copper head (very venomous and aggressive) snake wrapped around the tea. It was tasty though. You guys have bears and pissed moose bulls. If we face a threat in Alabama we shoot it then eat it. Whats your answer in Alaska? I have no illusions about living off the land been there done that. Full subsistence living is a commitment not many are capable or willing to undertake. I was simply hoping for some insight from folks that have lived in the interior away from the roads and civilization.

I would suggest that you visist here a few times before moving. Like gunnr said this ain't Alabama. Things are way different herefrom the. I spent a few yrs at Ft Benning so I would suggest you vist here first. Just my hmbo.

Merle

It can be done, but it would be best to ease into it. Not a good idea to move from Alabama to Alaska and expect to live in a remote location immediately.

come on up and take a look. Come up in January and maybe rent a cabin on the edge of Fairbanks somewhere. That will ease you into it. Keep enough money aside for a ticket home just in case.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com