Thread: Gun pack slings

Default Gun pack slings

Does anyone make a good sling or holster to attach you rifle to a external frame pack? If so where can you get one? I am going to be bow hunting for moose this fall but want to also bring my rifle with if possabile for a few reasons.

Default NO

There are companies that claim they have a solution to your problem, and after you decide which one to buy, good old parachute cord will be your best friend. A buddy of mine left a custom rifle on the side of a mountain because it came out of the best pack carrier money can buy while going through the alders and he didn't notice it was missing. Make sure anything and everything on the outside of your pack is tied down securely. If I were going to be carrying a rifle, I would tie down the bow and carry the rifle in my hands. That way when I dropped the pack to put on a stalk, I have the rifle already slung. One other point, make sure you practice shooting your bow with the rifle slung, it can add a whole new level of difficulty.

Joe thanks for the info I have looked at a few and thats why I posted cause they all look like they would be trouble!! Also I never thought of shooting the bow with the gun slinged thanks again!!

Check archives - extensive discussion in the past re: pros and cons of slung vs hand carried as well as the many various models and types avail and why the particular user liked or disliked their selection often with links.

Barney's makes one on several of their pack models, but don't trust it. My father in law lost his in the alders out of Valdez when it got pulled out without him knowing it. The rifle has never been found (as far as we know). He said the alders were pulling on the pack so much that he didn't realize his gun got pulled out somewhere along the way.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I learned from carrying a climbing stand into the woods that sometimes you may get a good shot but need to keep everything on to take it, so I made it a point to practice drawing and shooting with a pack on, a stand hanging on my off hand shoulder, and just about every position from standing to a full crouch, which all helped me figure out how to do it if the need arrose. Try to keep your movements within your silouette, moose can't see too good beyond 30 yards, but bears have sharp eyes and that's why I would recommend having the rifle handier than the bow.

Default Look at this...

Nice stuff and great customer service.

http://www.eberlestock.com/hunting.htm
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I use this with no problems: http://www.kifaru.net/GUNBEAR.HTM
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Rifle Holster

I found about this little gem on this forum. It works great. Since your sling is part of the attachment, you will know if the rifle is pulled off your body. If you use an adjustable sling like the Brownells Lagito sling, you're all set.

http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

I have used this on a couple of hunts and it not only secures the rifle, it frees both hands and transfers as much weight to your hip as you like. I am counting on this rifle holster to help me carry my 10 lb magnum this fall.

Default This is a very nice pack mounted rifle sling

The rifle sling I use attaches to the pack frame at two points, but is accessable within one second just by pulling one strap.

http://www.kifaru.net/FREIGHTR.HTM

This sling hangs below the right armpit, is supported from the rifle butt and a secondary strap from the pack strap. The rifle is really available for a quick access. Rifle rides very secure AND the pack frame carries the weight of the rifle.

The link above displays the system, but I'n not a big fan of the Kifaru pack system, I just like their rifle sling system. I've adapted that system onto my Badlands pack system