Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose - How do you pick who shoots first?

Default Moose - How do you pick who shoots first?

Just wondering how you pick who gets to shoot first and what you consider fair.

Scenario 1: When hunting moose together, each rifles.

Scenario 2: When hunting moose together, 1 with rifle and 1 with bow.

Thanks for considering the question, we have our thoughts, but suspect there are some we have not thought of yet.

He who spots the moose- has the choice, continue or pass

Default hunt with friends......

Hunt with a good friend and talk it over ahead of time. Be flexible. If it does not work out exactly as planned don't let it ruin the hunt.

Generally he that spots it first has first choice. That being said, other factors come into play. If I've already taken a nice animal of that species and my friend is newer to hunting, I'm likely to defer to my hunting partner. Meat needs can also be an issue, but we may decide to split any meat before going afield regardless of who pulls the trigger. Additionally, time that one can spend afield can come into play. If I have a few more weekends to hunt but my friend can only go on this one trip, again I'm likely to defer.

Default My turn!

Being I let my buddy shoot first last year (62"er!) it is my turn. There will be no debate on who goes first! Hunt with a good friend and fill the freezer! The trigger pull is the smallest step in the whole process. That 62" bull is just as much mine as his and i didn't shoot him.

I let everyone else shoot first if I can. It is funner that way. I have shot lots (for me) of game myself. I dont find enough game to say I am trying to fill the freezer that is where it will go if I get one but I consider all my hunting to be for sport.

I have had moose that were offered to me when the moose was spotted. Another was decided before the hunt began. The rest I was alone.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I agree with Rmiller. In almost every hunting situation I am hunting with someone who has had no where near the time in the feild or the amount of game taken as myself so I always give up the first animal to them. I take allot more Joy getting them on there animal and seeing them successful even if I go home empty handed. Same goes for fishing.

When the group (4) of us go hunting we usually let the guys that don't have moose drawing tags later in the year shoot first that way they guys with tags still can go hunt, but also get some of the moose that the guy in the general season kills for helping out. If no one draws a tag then its the "he who spots" rule. This year two in camp have tags and two don't so hopefully we'll end up doing some good.

Default Good question and lots of good answers

Each situation will be different. But here's my take and you should discuss with your buddy before you even load the guns or knock an arrow. The meat should always be offered and shared by the shooter with the other hunters in the group. Which ever hunter has the steady aim and a clear view of the vitals shoots first. The other watches for the impact location and verifies the shot placement. If the first shot needs to be followed up, to ensure a quick dispatch of the animal or protect the archer, then the second shooter is there, ready to shoot. In the case of a trophy animal (which all are), say a 70 inch moose, and both hunters want the trophy and can't agree who shot first, then it's a rock, paper, scissors, friendship lost. I will defer to the less experienced hunter or the one with the least opportunity to hunt to shoot first in favor of a great friendship and an even better memory of a successful hunt.

During caribou hunts when more than one bull is present who gets first choice of the bulls? Same answer, the one with less experience and less opportunities to take a trophy. I have got more satisfaction from helping someone else get their bull than from getting mine. Remember to identify which bull each hunter is going to shoot before the shooting starts and often the first one down attracts rather than spooks the rest of the herd, so don't rush an off-hand shot on a running bou.

Rock paper scissors?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default another simple way

All the answers have been good. One other way that works if you are both of the same success and experience level is to filp a coin for the first hunting day and then just rotate the days back and forth that way each has an equal chance.

Default That's easy!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    All the answers have been good. One other way that works if you are both of the same success and experience level is to filp a coin for the first hunting day and then just rotate the days back and forth that way each has an equal chance.
    That's an easy one, Tom-- the client! The client always gets the first shot. Usually.

Heh Heh!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

When hunting with somebody else we decide before we leave the truck, get in the boat, or on the airplane. Usually one of us just says..hey it's your turn this year.

In '06 I took a friend from Indiana on his first moose hunt. Our agreement was simple. If he's less than 50 yards I got to shoot with my bow, beyond 50 yards it was his rifle time. Things didn't work out that way of course because the moose I called in appeared at 35 yards in dense brush in which I didn't have a shot. My friend was mostly in the clear and I gave him the "take 'im " nod. He scored on a nice 63" bull and I was very happy for him.

Being I let my buddy shoot first last year (62"er!) it is my turn. There will be no debate on who goes first! Hunt with a good friend and fill the freezer! The trigger pull is the smallest step in the whole process. That 62" bull is just as much mine as his and i didn't shoot him.
    I feel exactly the same way because I called the moose in and my friend didn't have the slightest clue how to do it. We shared the meat and it was enough for my family when I added the two deer I shot later in the year.

Default Who shoots first?

He does if it's his jetboat.

If ya snooze, ya loose!

Default I guess

I did and my dog didn't complain a bit, he was just happy to be going on that walk with me. just a bonus that bull stood up. Feels very good to have a nice fat bull in the freezer especially if the caribou are as screwwy this year as last.

Good luck to the rest of you this season and may you find a nice fat bull as well.

I prefer alphabetical order(1st name). He who sees it first or flip a coin if both see it at the same time.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

The goal is to get a moose. If you waste too much time being over courteous you may miss your chance, who ever gets the first shot should take it, if your that worried about it hunt alone.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Got to go with ARKY...

that's the best advise on this one.

Default Not worried in the least

We (3 of us) do rock paper scissors for our shooting order. Which rotates daily. This applies to times when we are together and there is time to get into position. If a jump shot or times when alone (like washing the dishes by the river) presents itself, anyone able takes the shot.

Everything is divided equally. This is agreed upon before we even leave town. We share all meat, expenses, gear requirements and fuel. One of us usually makes all the purchases and then at the end we even up.

Last season I gave up my only shot. I was not able to safely take the shot and since a third of the meat is mine anyway I deferred to one of my partners who was able to get the shot off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast