Thread: 22' Aluminum boats; any recommendations?

Default 22' Aluminum boats; any recommendations?

Okay, been coming to Alaska for 11 yrs and going on halibut charters yearly. Finally to the point of contemplating a 22' boat; aluminum preferred.
    The one most common to me is a 22' Hewescraft; SeaRunner or Ocean Pro; kicked the tires on them the other day at River & Sea. I think I favor the Ocean Pro due to the wider beam, deeper hull, diamond plate deck. Can you get a 22' SR HT ET with a diamond plate deck? My only concern is that the Hewes doesn't seem to be a self-bailing deck.
    I'm open to other brands but have no exposure to them; also the Hewes seems to be the most bang for the buck. There seems to be more used 22' SR's available and in all honesty, we'd be using the boat for maybe a month during the year; not daily either so a regular 22' SR may be a better option.
    On a side note, there's a 22'-25' Raider for sale with twin 90's for 24k on the highway between Soldotna & Sterling; saw it also on Craigslist; not sure why it hasn't sold; anybody look at it? 24k for that rig seems like a bargain???
    Other reasons for the 22' range: easy to trailer and we usually would have 2-4 people fishing; definitely want a hardtop & heat.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by Big Jim; 08-09-2008 at 20:00. Reason: spelling

I had an Ocean Pro and I definitely think the extra room you get in the beam makes the extra $ worth it. I have a friend that had the standard Sea Runner and the difference when you are on the water is noticable for sure.

Good luck, shopping is fun!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default I thought you might reply...

DMan; I was remembering when you were selling your boat. If you don't mind, what did you get for it? Could you mention the accessories you had on it and those you may have wished for? Also, I believe you had the 150 hp Yamaha; were you happy with that motor when the boat was loaded?
    I went fishing out of Homer on Tuesday with a friend who has a 23' Seaswirl walkaround cuddy; he just got a F225 on it, complete with HT8 for a kicker. He loves it already compared to the old 200 hp 2 stroke Johnson it had. That boat lightly loaded (3 guys; fuel)was doing 40 mph @ 5400 rpms. If we ever end up ordering a new rig, I think I'd power it pretty close to the max hp rating; also, can you get the 22' with twins? Maybe twin 75's or 90's?
    Please anyone else chime in!
    Jim

Default I really like my Ocean Pro

The wife wants a galley and a v birth (so did the folks we boaght this from)
    It is a great, reliable boat.
    Rob

leahy, how is yours set up?
    Jim

Default It has an open bow 150 Yamaha

2 captain's hairs and two benches that make into a bed.
    Lots of room on the fishing deck extended transom, 15 horse Honda kicker.
    Its very stable I like the high sides. It handles easily.

http://www.alaskaphotography.com/200.../IMG_0547.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    DMan; I was remembering when you were selling your boat. If you don't mind, what did you get for it? Could you mention the accessories you had on it and those you may have wished for? Also, I believe you had the 150 hp Yamaha; were you happy with that motor when the boat was loaded?
    I went fishing out of Homer on Tuesday with a friend who has a 23' Seaswirl walkaround cuddy; he just got a F225 on it, complete with HT8 for a kicker. He loves it already compared to the old 200 hp 2 stroke Johnson it had. That boat lightly loaded (3 guys; fuel)was doing 40 mph @ 5400 rpms. If we ever end up ordering a new rig, I think I'd power it pretty close to the max hp rating; also, can you get the 22' with twins? Maybe twin 75's or 90's?
    Please anyone else chime in!
    Jim
    I had the 150, it really is minimal for that boat (Some dealers try and put a 115 on it and that is crazy IMO). If I was doing that Boat again I would put a 225 on it in a heartbeat. You can get the 22 with twins but I think you have to order it that way as Dewey's and Sea and Ski don't typically bring them in that way. Twin 90's would be okay but I heard they were thinking of changing the power rating from 225 to 230 so you would do 115's. That would be rockin!

I had a propane heater in mine, with that cabin if you are going to overnight in it I would recommend putting an espar or something in it that will help keep it dry.

I also had fuel mgmt system (a must), amp, speakers, fans, 8HT kicker, rod holders, cup holders, etc. that I added. There is more but my mind is tired right now

Default have I got a deal for you .....

I just listed my Wooldridge here on the swap and sell section. Hardtop and heat is super nice, but I grew up with a 50hp tiller on a homemade wooden boat. You may want to consider fuel economy with the higher fuel prices. When I ordered my Wooly, I had in mind economy for long distance trips - what I got was; Valdez to Cordova 21 gallons of fuel, Valdez to Whittier 17 gallons of fuel..... Fairbanks to Galena 65 gallons of fuel.... I saw a quote earlier that said if there was a perfect boat we would all have it. I have owned a number of boats and am still searching for the perfect boat, but found that like rifles, every caliber has its purpose. I can't fit my family into one of my old Yukon 800 race boats, and I can't expect my family and dog to live aboard my Wooly year around. However, we have taken home hundreds of pounds of halibut and I have transported 1.5 moose and 200 gallons of fuel plus gear in my Wooly. So after this long winded response, I would invite to to view my swap n sell post. Or- if you want to just talk boats, let me know since I love everything about boats. - Thanks - Mike

Default 22' Sea Raider

I do know the folks who own the 22' Sea Raider parked on the highway, and I have also looked at it. It has everything you would need. Twin 90 Honda 4 stroke with 700+ miles is no big deal. They had it at their seasonal place in Anchor Point and they used it. It has scrapes and scratches but the hardtop with hard doors sure is nice. Dual axel with dual galvanized trailer. If I didn't already own a 22' Raider, I would have that one, especially for that price. Who knows, OBO just might work this time of the year.

Thanks for the reply guys; Mike, I'll check out your post!
    Jtm9, how is your boat set up? Likes/dislikes?? Do you know how long they've had it for sale?
    One more question; I saw on a previous thread comments on some guys not liking the 22' SR or Ocean Pro because of the open bow possibly scooping water; after looking at them on the lot, the open box has a pretty shallow deck, making me think that even if filled, it should drain; the scuppers looked adequate, or could always enlarge them a little?
    Thanks guys,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys; Mike, I'll check out your post!
    Jtm9, how is your boat set up? Likes/dislikes?? Do you know how long they've had it for sale?
    One more question; I saw on a previous thread comments on some guys not liking the 22' SR or Ocean Pro because of the open bow possibly scooping water; after looking at them on the lot, the open box has a pretty shallow deck, making me think that even if filled, it should drain; the scuppers looked adequate, or could always enlarge them a little?
    Thanks guys,
    Jim
    I can say from experiance they do empty quick. Having water hit the windshield is more spooky than the water in the bow. My next boat will not have this issue

Default scupper holes

Big Jim, I thought the same thing about waves over the bow, but I found out in big seas, the sudden addition of water weight keeps the bow down a little too long for comfort. It is better than the alternative. The best use I have found in the self draining bow is it makes a great fish cleaning area to keep the slim stuff out of the boat area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sea Raider

Big Jim,
    My 22' is set up with a hard top, curtain in the back. Yamaha 200hp and 9.9 kicker. I have throttle controls for both up front and connect the outboards while trolling. This boat trailers easily. The guy who owned it before me replaced the flooring with diamond plate and lowered the floor in the cabin about 3-4 " so he could stand without ducking. It has been great and easy to clean.
    I still think that most of the time when you take water over the bow, you are going too fast for the conditions, or you are pitching the bow into the wave in a following sea. Mine drains just fine and have put a canvas cover over the front to keep most water from coming in. It just snaps into place.
    I think the folks selling the one on the highway got a bigger boat and run out of Homer more often now. It is worth a look.

Ya know, while I was up there for 3 WEEKS, I shoulda looked at that boat; drove by it everytime we go to town too. Just wasn't thinking too hard about a big purchase like that and still not sure it's all gonna pan out. It's real easy to get into the "dreaming" stage but a whole 'nother matter to procure the dough!
    My father in law gets the itch every year he's up there with us and he says in a year or two he might spring for a rig & we can split the costs, a lot can change in that timeframe.
    Does ATEC or any other local builders make a 22' hardtop?
    Thanks again guys for all the opinions & info,
    Jim