Thread: blueberries

Default blueberries

When do you think the blueberries will be ripe for picking this year? I'm wondering if it will be later...due to the cold wet weather we have had here in anchorage. Anyone have tips on where to pick?
    thanks!

Going up to Hatcher's Pass next weekend to do some picking. Will report on what we find, but until then I am not sure. Have not been hearing much about the condition of the berries this year. With all the rain they are either really good or really bad I would guess.

I hear many of the berries Hatchers way are still green......will be late ones this year!

Default Arctic Valley Road blueberries...

... are also still way green. Was up there today and saw several patches with lots of berries, but none were ripe. Mossberries were hit or miss at parts, with lots of them waiting to ripen as well... Did get enough black ones for a couple batches of jelly, though (yum!).

Cheers,
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

Default Been pickin already...

My wife and I have been picking already. We are on the North fork above Anchor Point. The bushes are loaded with fat berries this year. Still quite a few berries that need to ripen some more but definitely good pickin. I think this is the best year in the past four years. Already got 3-4 gallons. All are high bush. The low bush did'nt seem to do anything this year.

Mile post 194 yesterday. The blueberries taste like candy, there that sweet! Parks Hwy.

Plenty of black bear are out picking too.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Got up to Hatcher's Pass rather late in the day, but we managed to pick a quart or so in about 45 minutes. Lots of ripe berries and lots more that will be ready in a week or so.

Default just went on sunday

Perhaps its a matter of taste,but Hatchers berries werent even close for my taste,I like them overipe,takes some freezing weather for that,Id say a few more weeks.

Default arctic valley

Did really well today near the old lift. There were tons of people at the parking lot so glad we didn't head over to that side. Still lots of green berries to be had in the next few weeks!!

Any suggestions on getting all the leaves and twigs out of a batch?

Tony

I was just told that blueberries are ripe at Hatcher's over 1600 ft. Also, Cantwell has already seen snow so you won't want to wait much longer if you are headed up that way. Broad Pass was said to have been ripe a few weeks ago.

We did @ 5 gallons of highbush last week across the bay from Homer.
    A few salmonberries as well. We passed on the currents and highbush cranberries.
    Big blueberries as well. I will post some pictures when we get them on the computer.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Looking for places in Homer/Anchor Point to pick a few quarts of blueberries - read someone got some highbush across the Bay, but I'll be on the Homer side tomorrow/Sunday. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Here is a small sampling of the blueberries we got acroos the bay from Homer.
    There were tons more and my mom and dad made it over there last week for a couple of gallons themselves.
    The berry bush pictured was far from the most loaded ones. That sprig of berry bush in my hand held 13 blueberries and was not the only bush loaded like that. Gueass the highbush at sealevel did better than the lowbush found further north at higher elevations.

blueberry2.jpgberries 2011.jpg

Heres a pic of a pile of berries and one of the 11 year old and his pie.
    He hates berry picking but we made him pick enough for the pie he wanted.
    blueberries.jpgblueberry pie.jpg

BBerries in this area of the mat su are nil this year, evebn the ones here on the property there were lots of unripe ones but as soon as they began to ripen the rain must have beaten them from the stem
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ