Thread: Winner Creek Trail

Question Winner Creek Trail

Has anyone hiked the Winner Creek trail more than a few miles up from the hotel? I have some questions I'd like to ask if there's anyone that can help me out. Thanks!

-Brian

I've hiked it up to near the headwaters and down past the gorge. Not sure if that helps or not.

I've hiked from the hotel to the road. It's real nice, but it was even better before they started developing the trail. Any questions in particular?

Corn - My question was concerning the portion of the trail that heads up towards the pass that connects with the 20-Mile River valley.

-Brian

Yea, I realized that was what you were probably asking about as soon an I hit the "Submit" button. I haven't been up there personally, but I have friends that have been to the top of the ridge overlooking 20 mile. They're pretty hard core, but it doesn't sound bad. I'm actually formulating a plan to head up that way before too long to check the situation out.

Actually, that's exactly what I was wondering about. I want to know if the trail breaks out of the brush, or if you'd have to bushwhack a lot to reach the ridge short of hiking all the way to the pass. I guess i'll just have to scout it out one of these days.

-Brian

If you look at Imus' map of Chugach State park, I think where you want to go is Berry Pass. There is a FS trail all the way. It took me about 2 hours to hike from the Alyeska Prince through the flats another hour or hour and a half to reach the pass from there. Views on top spectacular on a clear day. Lots of hiking and climbing out of the pass as well. I hope this helps.

Thank you very much! I'm assuming that it's pretty easy to climb up on the ridges from the pass? I've flown over the area a year ago and figured it would be doable, but I haven't been able to scout it on foot yet. Any other info you could give me would be much appreciated.

-Brian

Yes, folks have climbed A1, Mystery, Nagoon and Longspur.

here's a picture of Kelly's Knob and Longspur. Kelly's knob in the foreground is pretty indicative of the terrain you are in at the pass.

Thanks again. I'll definitely check it out - hopefully within the next week or two. I'd love to find some goats on the 20-mile side of that drainage, but I'd be happy with just a great climb.

-Brian

Aren't you into NFS lands (and wide open HUNTING!) when you get over that pass behind the hotel? Could be a nice back door into some good grounds.