Thread: Helly Hanson Impertech

Default Helly Hanson Impertech

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had problems with their impertech rain gear. All of my velcro has com off and in places the rubber/waterproof coating is coming off. I read so many good things about this stuff but now I think it sucks and I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?

I have heard of it developing pin holes over time under some peoples packs but your problems are new to me. How old is it?

Default Issues

The only issues I have had with Impertech is the occasional broken plastic button and I have a jacket I purchased in 97 or 98 that has some of the coating flaking off on the sleeves. Compared to all the other rain gear I have trashed, the Impertech has held up fairly well.

Default Bug Spray

Not sure about the velcro, but I told when I purchased mine that bug dope will destroy it. Did you possibly get any on it?

How long have you had it?

They are not indestructible, I'm on my 3rd pair of bibs and 2nd jacket. My old jacket just started to flake apart, I've had it since about 97, and the bibs get worn out in the between the legs area from hiking.

Default Sorry...

Sorry for not responding but I actually forgot I started this... I recieved it for Christmas this last year and the first time I wore it the velcro on the right sleave un-attached itself and on the 3rd time the rest of the velcro came off, even on the bibs to hold the chest pocket closed. When I got home I sated looking at the rest of it and the PVC coating or whatever it is has started to come off around the placed the velcro was. I hope this info helps. I was just wanting to see if I dare buy another set. Thanks to those who have responded.

I had the same issue with a jacket i purchased last fall. One goat hunt and the velcro is comming unstiched on both arm. Surface still looks good

Yes I have! This stuff is trash! Period! Best thing to do is throw it away-or give it to a tourist for bear viewing,sitting on the ferry,etc.

Logical next question then is what is the best stuff to get? I have heard a lot of good about Impertech and this is the first I have heard that it has problems. What is the reliable stuff? Ya know the stuff that is worth the money but no so much money that I feel like I need to refinance my house to afford it like with Sitka gear and the like.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Velcro came off mine too. Just glued it back on. No big deal. For light, waterPROOF, stretchy, quiet in the woods and affordable, I can easily put up with some discrepancies.

I did not have any trouble with the coating coming off, the advice about keeping bug dope off of it is good though, that stuff is harsh.

I am going to seriously look into Kool Dri next time around, which is pretty soon. HH

Thumbs down Me too!

Last year the rant and rave was HH Impertech. I put it off as long as possible and gave in. I initially was impressed, however, that faded. My 1st complaint; it was not breathable- I sweated so bad I was soaked underneath (that's venting the jacket too). My 2nd complaint; pin holes and my final complaint; delamination of the seams. The outfit (bibs and jacket) has only been on two fishing trips (day trips), 4 days in PWS for spring bear, and 4 days this past month out sheep hunting. That's a load of crap!

I have considered Sitka gear, and am still not convinced it is any better. They have 3 models, 90%, Nimbus & Celicius. The 90% is treated with DWR finnish (works ok in a light drizzle), the Nimbus is a rain jacket very similar to my Marmot Precip (but I paid less than 1/2 of what they want), and the Celcius, it too has DWR, but far too warm on sheep/bou hunts. Bottom line; too expensive for what you get. Believe me, you will get wet wearing Sitka gear!

Cabelas just released a new system VERY similar to Sitkas gear, Mountain Extreme but, you guessed it, CHEAPER.

On a positive note, I have been working with a couple fabric manufacturers and some retail store vendors to use my design. Nothing has panned out yet and if I can get it to work out, I maybe asking for some testers to run them throught the wringer. After all, if life is tougher in Alsaka, shouldn't the gear we use be equally as tough?
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

If you want a southeast AK tester let me know.

My seams leak somewhat on the jacket after just a few times of use.

I can't even find it on HH's website. Where are you guys getting it?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    For light, waterPROOF, stretchy, quiet in the woods and affordable, I can easily put up with some discrepancies.
    Thats exactly what I wanted to say after my post earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    I can't even find it on HH's website. Where are you guys getting it?
    got pants and jacket for $108 at army/navy store in Anchorage.