Thread: Tazlina Sheep - help

Default Tazlina Sheep - help

I have a friend who got drawn for sheep for him self and his son (first sheep hunt) starting 17 Aug. He flew the area last week and didn't see any sheep. I assured him that there were sheep there but he is really bummed out and wonders if he made a mistake. Does anyone who has successfully hunted the Tazlina Glacier area have any pictures of their success that they would like to share that I might pass on to him for encouragement? Thanx.

Default Tazlina

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I hunted that area last year for 9 days and saw only 2 rams which were only 1/2 curls. I flew in with Meekins, and I believe he told us none of his clients took anything out of there at all.

I hunted the east side of Tazlina last year (late hunt) I did see two nice rams on the next to last day but since I didn't bring mountaineering gear they were impossible to get to.

That area has been pounded in recent years. ADF&G says the ram #s are way below what the habitat can support.

I would say look and hunt as high as you can get. Focus on the clusters of glaciated peaks. The rams I saw were literally at the tippy top of a craggy peak.

Default Tazlina

Hunted near the tazlina in 2006 and we took two sheep. Mine was 9 years old and my partners was 11. The other legal sheep we saw were in some nasty terrain we couldnt get to. I have some pictures of them i will post once I find my thumb drive with all my pics. We flew in with meekins as well. This is the only picture of our rams i have on my CPU right now. Sorry its not a great picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanx for the posts to date.

ward17 - nice sheep, Roger the "nasty stuff"

Hopefully someone else will be able to post some more success stories.

Thanx for the responses to date - I really thought Tazlina was a lot more popular area to hunt sheep!