Thread: moose decoys

Default moose decoys

Anybody have any experience with using moose decoys? Might sound like a crazy question, but I've heard they work. I've also heard that flashing a couple off-white pillow cases behind the brush as you're raking/calling simulates moose antlers----at least from a moose's perspective. Any ideas on this?

Last year I used a cow moose decoy, it works great. I also made a pair of antlers out of plywood that broke down and fit inside my back pack. I never got a moose to come in, it was not the fault of the fake antler, I could not find a moose that wanted to fight me, they were all lovers.

If the moose is a small legal bull you could scare him away using two big of a pillow. He thinks you are going to beat him up.

Quote Originally Posted by sculpin View Post
    Anybody have any experience with using moose decoys? Might sound like a crazy question, but I've heard they work. I've also heard that flashing a couple off-white pillow cases behind the brush as you're raking/calling simulates moose antlers----at least from a moose's perspective. Any ideas on this?
    They WORK!!!

Default ha

Ya, that pic is great! I've heard of guys making a moose decoy to hide inside-----not sure I'd want to do that. Nothing like mad, horny bulls making a "pass" at you. What type of cow decoy have you used "rutting moose?"

I picked one up this year at www.montanadecoy.com It's a cow decoy and boy does it look real. I set it up with the head poking into the frontroom window and my mother-in-law feeding it and took a pic. Everyone that looks at the pic thinks it's the real deal.

I will be using one this year as well. Had luck in the past with deer.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Talking nice blind

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I will be using one this year as well. Had luck in the past with deer.

Steve
    Have to wonder, was it the decoy or the blind that worked best for ya?

Default montana decs

Been looking at those. How much does it weigh and how packable is it?

Quote Originally Posted by sculpin View Post
    Been looking at those. How much does it weigh and how packable is it?
    I don't know exactly what they weigh, but I'd guess under a pound. The body is just some light weight material with a wire spring to hold it open and then there are 2 stakes/poles to prop it up. Should be no problem packing it.

Default I ordered one

Got one for last year but didn't get to use it. Very packable.

Default Jim Shockey

Uses a cardboard cut out and seams to work for him. I forget who he said made it but it is on his Land of the giants 2 movie and it is cool. I think these things work best the further into the rut you are hunting.
    Will

Well, got to be careful when using decoys, antlers, and things like that. You won't believe the things some people shoot at without first making sure what's behind the fake moose, or what is underneath the antlers. Just about every year somebody gets shot or killed by mistake. We have had people killed when shot in the dark coming back to their tree stand, too. And no, you should not ask your hunting partner to go out there walking with a set of antlers over his head. Something to think about