Thread: Primer, Powder Question

Default Primer, Powder Question

Got the reloader(thanks wife), got the bench built(stainning this weekend), will be assymbling loader and starting the factory this week. I have purchased SP, SPM, LP, and LPM CCI primers but am having a problem locating loads with them in the manuals. When the manual says WLP (Winchester Large Pistol) can I substitute the CCI? Next is I have also purchased some Trail Boss (Cowboy Shooting) but am having a tough time finding load data for it. I currently have a 38/357 and 44sp/44mag. Finally does anyone know of a Laser-Cast dealer close to Valdez (other then the Petersburg Gun Club in south east alaska)?

First things first, congrats on the press and bench. I just got my press a few weeks ago and built my bench today, only have some locking cabinets left to build on it. Personally I'm leaving it unstained, but then I'm using it for more then reloading.

I'm new to reloading as well, and reading my reloading manual, Speer #14, It looks like you should be able to substitute other primers if you use the starter load and then work up from that.

The Speer #14 manual also has CAS reloading data for Trail Boss powder.
    Chris Willhoite

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabear99687 View Post
    Got the reloader(thanks wife), got the bench built(stainning this weekend), will be assymbling loader and starting the factory this week. I have purchased SP, SPM, LP, and LPM CCI primers but am having a problem locating loads with them in the manuals. When the manual says WLP (Winchester Large Pistol) can I substitute the CCI? Next is I have also purchased some Trail Boss (Cowboy Shooting) but am having a tough time finding load data for it. I currently have a 38/357 and 44sp/44mag. Finally does anyone know of a Laser-Cast dealer close to Valdez (other then the Petersburg Gun Club in south east alaska)?
    Subbing primers is quite often necessary when all you can get locally is different than what the loads were developed with. And chrisWillh is right about primers or anything else you substitute from original in a load you read about: Start below max and work up. Subbing isn't something to worry about as long as you're careful, and often it's a plus: You may find that a different primer gives better performance in your particular gun.

I haven't tried Trail Boss in either caliber, but the Hodgdon site has lots of data for lots of powders at their Reloading Data Center linked in the site.

Not sure about LaserCast closer to home, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it in Anchorburg.

I know the feeling about not having components readily available. The answer is yes. You can substitute primers provided they are the same type for your particular application. Many reloaders do it all the time to to enhance performance and tailor a load for a particular shooting condition (for example, switching a large rifle primer for a magnum rifle primer to ensure ignition in cold conditions). That said, don't just haphazardly switch primers. What I mean is, if you have a load that you have been using for a while and suddenly can't find primers, don't just switch primers and resume using the same powder charge. You need go back to the starting load and work your way up again. Although the primers are very similar, you can experience pressure differences, especially if you are running close to max.