Thread: Guide's Nightmare

Default Guide's Nightmare

As some of you know, I've been guiding at Ship Creek this summer. It's been pretty good lately with the silvers, but I had a nightmare last night. It was this: I was fishing with Larry Csonka and his partner Audrey Bradshaw and their cooking host SmokeyJoe Barkoskie. AND WE COULDN"T CATCH FISH!

Except it wasn't a dream. It was real. The North To Alaska (NTA) hosts and their camera crew went out with me yesterday on the outgoing tide at 1pm, and it was dead, dead, dead.

Nothing on eggs, nothing flipping. Very few silvers picked up by the other fishermen. The tide was a super low flood, and the sun knocked the bite off. What a nightmare.

The good side is that they did get a gorgeous day to shoot combat fishing on the creek, and Larry, Audrey and Joe experienced combat fishing for probably the first time. They were great about the lack of fish (they did get to film actual salmon on a stringer - someone else's) and I don't think I came off as too big of an idiot. I will be a short segment of a NTA show next spring on the VERSUS channel on "urban fishing".

We may get another opportunity to go back out and try again in the next week or so. Pray for me....jim

Awsome. Did you get any pictures? Love that show.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Where were you fishing at? I must of just missed it... I got out of there around 130..

Default Good luck, Jim

I believe you have enough fish karma left to get them next time.

I watched the show this morning and was wondering what they have planned for next season. They were catching winter kings at Homer this a.m.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Love that show.
    The show doesn't give you any information. They just plug a business. Why doesn't he ever tell you the outfit they are using, line size, lure, depth in the water.
    Last edited by monello; 08-09-2008 at 11:15. Reason: fixed quote

Default >>>------->

Ya skunked the Zonk!
    No.........!

Default show business...

The moment you pre-mentioned anything to do with the good luck of forthcoming catch, you blew it.

You should have told him you were going to "break his leg"...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    The show doesn't give you any information. They just plug a business. Why doesn't he ever tell you the outfit they are using, line size, lure, depth in the water.
    Agreed, its like a 1/2 hour informercial for the lodge or outfitter thats putting them up for the experience. I am not a hater...good on them to be able to go "North to Alaska" and do all the fishing and hunting they do and make a profit. I personnally quit watching the show, boring. Kinda like my videos on youtube...boring.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    The moment you pre-mentioned anything to do with the good luck of forthcoming catch, you blew it.

You should have told him you were going to "break his leg"...

Rosenberg/Florida
    HAHAHA!

I cant stop laughing.

I imagine myself meeting up with Jim for the first time in June and him saying to me: "We're gonna fish, then Im gonna kick you ass!"

Maybe I would have got my king.

Jim, have fun out there. Id wish you luck but it seems like a bad idea. I hope you break a fishing pole and lose you liscence !
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Agreed, its like a 1/2 hour informercial for the lodge or outfitter thats putting them up for the experience. I am not a hater...good on them to be able to go "North to Alaska" and do all the fishing and hunting they do and make a profit. I personnally quit watching the show, boring. Kinda like my videos on youtube...boring.

TSS

There is not a dang thing boring about your videos. The show is "ok" during a long cold winter. I am tired of hearing about the lodge/guide sponser too. Come fish with me too larry and see the real alaska.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Maaan I just moved to Iowa and got Vs. channel at the same time (I can't wait for playoff hockey). I really like his show, but on his "Real Alaska" theme I think that a good show would be to include that sometimes the fish just aren't there and whatever you do they aren't going to bite. That is just part of what fishing is. Right now I would truly love to be standing smack dab in between two drunks and a jerk at either Ship Creek or the Russian without catching a fish. Rather than just filler on a show I would like to see the footage that they shot when not reeling in fish. More of the...you know?...the...you know?...the...the...that whole...you know?...!

Default The bright side

Well, look at the bright side. You didn't catch any fish, but at least the Coast Guard didn't have to rescue you like what happend to Larry back in 2005.

Eel

Default Thought I'd share this...sorta related

I used to know a guy who was a bass fishing nut in central California. He was a lifelong buddy of Jimmy Houston, the TV fishing guy who wears those shop glasses he sells for fishing.
    Anyway... Jimmy told this guy (Kris) he'd come out there and they'd fish the guy's favorite bass lake and film it for the show. Predictably, they got skunked with a capital S.
    So Jimmy had his crew film him and Kris pretending to fight fish as an assistant tugged on the lines from off camera. They spliced in some shots of bass hitting lures from some canned footage they had of other fishing trips. It made for a hilarious show, since they couldn't do any closeups of them landing any fish. The best part was when Jimmy said he couldn't wait to get back there to fish it again after that great day!

Quote Originally Posted by EelRiverChrome View Post
    Well, look at the bright side. You didn't catch any fish, but at least the Coast Guard didn't have to rescue you like what happend to Larry back in 2005.

Eel
    What is the story??? I have seen clips but never heard the whole story why the CG had to come and pluck them out of the ocean.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    What is the story??? I have seen clips but never heard the whole story why the CG had to come and pluck them out of the ocean.
    The boat they were on lost power and they were at the mercy of the ocean. That's about all I know except for the fact that the crew had him sign a football when they got him on the helo.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    The boat they were on lost power and they were at the mercy of the ocean. That's about all I know except for the fact that the crew had him sign a football when they got him on the helo.
    I think they were off Kodiak
    ...been on a search to top my 30x18 rainbow for 13 years now...I guess it's game time!!!
    13' Aire WildCat, 9' 7wt SAGE RPLXI, 10' 5wt SAGE XP, .300 RUM Zeiss 3x9 when all else fails

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    http://media.www.dailytexanonline.co...s-982911.shtml

Thanks... How did LC contact you in going to Ship Creek?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK