Thread: Horse Back Hunting, Denali Hwy

Default Horse Back Hunting, Denali Hwy

I have horses and am thinking about hunting moose in the Clearwater Cr. area off the Denali Hwy this year. I have not hunted this portion of unit 13 and have never hunted with horses. Looking for ideas as far as access trails and possibly a hunting partner.

Horses/mules - a great way to go. Gives access to areas not generally available to either "four wheelers" or airplanes. Their use might make an interesting "section" on this forum.
    I've used them a lot in the Brooks Range. E-mail me if I can help.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by granto View Post
    I have horses and am thinking about hunting moose in the Clearwater Cr. area off the Denali Hwy this year. I have not hunted this portion of unit 13 and have never hunted with horses. Looking for ideas as far as access trails and possibly a hunting partner.

Its been a number of years since I hunted clearwater creek. the road that is there forks. one way goes to an airstrip and not sure how far the other fork goes. terrain isnt that bad. we hiked in and it wasnt all that bad. It shouldnt bother horses at all.

I know the troopers use that airstrip. one visited us. she (out of cantwell) told us the nearest legal bull was 7 miles away. I guess she just did an arial scout.

Overall I wouldnt hesitate to bring horses in there.

Default Are you heading

upstream or downstream from the Denali hwy/? Its been some years when I last hunted either side, took a few nice moose/Caribou and a couple good bears. Upstream ( north side of Denali hwy) is the non-motorized area, Upstream would be my choice.