Thread: Whittier Silvers?

Default Whittier Silvers?

Anyone have a good reports for silvers out of Whittier this weekend? I have an uncle who will be up on Sunday and was thinking about getting him out sometime next week. Last year by this time they were at Pigot but I think they're slow in getting there this year. Maybe Seward would be the best bet. Any help would be appreciated!

Try the east side of Culross and the west side of Perry. We were catching silvers there yesterday. Didn't catch any on the North side of Culross, North side of Perry, or Pigot point/bay. I'm guessing they are still migrating North. Bring some herring for trolling.

I was out there on Wednesday and did not get to see much action from the silvers. We saw some scattered jumpers out and around Pigot, but were unable to hook up with any. We tried a bit of trolling and mooching, both with the same results. Caught a really nice yellow eye off the point once we switched gear though, so all was not lost. Plus, the seas were about 1 ft and the weather was mostly sunny. Not your typical Whittier weather, so it made for a great day.

Default Culross

The east side of the passage or the island? Many thanks for the update!

Tight lines and bloody boats,
    BB

Default Whittier SIlvers

We have limited out every trip for the last two weeks. Head south, look for birds, catch silvers. A few days ago they were crazy thick 35 miles from Whittier, we got 12 in a short time, lost at least that as well.

Side note, anyone else see the giant iceberg down by Main Bay? THat's a first. Note to others - don't climb on iceberg trying to get ice for fish = bad idea.

Is there more to the iceberd story? Did someone find out just how cold the water is?

Steve

Default Iceberg

My friend climbed on it to chop ice off and to say he climbed on an iceberg in PWS. As he was chopping the berg started to roll and about cashed out the boat and him. As he slid down the ice toward the boat I worked over to get him. Only got a wet leg on the dismount from the berg to the boat. Stupid.

Default iceberg

wow what a lucky guy! That is not something you want to screw around with!

Default Ice Cubes

What if a guy had crampons, an ice axe and floaties?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    That's not going to keep it from flipping on you. But you will be able to hold on while it rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    We have limited out every trip for the last two weeks. Head south, look for birds, catch silvers. A few days ago they were crazy thick 35 miles from Whittier, we got 12 in a short time, lost at least that as well.

Side note, anyone else see the giant iceberg down by Main Bay? THat's a first. Note to others - don't climb on iceberg trying to get ice for fish = bad idea.
    If you got 12, I know Frnco wasn't with you. Never seen an iceberg there. I was there this past Tue. Then again it was so foggy and raining.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking

HE SAID FLOATIES! That would be something to see .

According to various radio reports throughout the day on Sunday it sounded like the fish were few and far between

We were on the east side of the passage right off the point.

The east side of the passage or the island? Many thanks for the update!

Tight lines and bloody boats,
    BB

can u snag from beach jus like seward?

I believe you can, just not in the harbor itself.

Default "what Are You Stupid?!"

Is what my mom said when she saw the vid. After I picked him up I nudged the boat into the nook at the bottom of his foot. I got the huge burge moving pretty good, soon after I backed off it split and both pieces rolled, pretty impressive especially on video. Looking back be all agreed it was pretty stupid. But my dad was so persistant and just would not shut up about it until I dropped him off.

I am trying to figure out if I want to go out this weekend after silvers and maybe deer, decisions decisions.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 08-27-2009 at 22:54.

Default I saw a bunch of them off Knight Island

Here is one near Herring Bay and there were more on the way down south further. No I didn't think of climbing on it though, but I wanted to chop some ice off, but MY INSTINCTS TOLD ME IT WOULD BE A BAD IDEA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.