Thread: not about to buy yet...

Default not about to buy yet...

How many times has this been talked about? im sure a lot but here goes my turn. I'll be buying my first ATV hopfully by Oct. If not, it will have to wait until next spring. I'll mostly be using it for duck hunting and everything else i suppose to enjoy the great pleasures of life amongst trees.... Yamaha, arctic cat, suzuki, polaris, all them brands but are there some features that i need to consider and look for on an ATV when buying? Any pro's and cons about certain models? I know of one thing that it's gonna be in camo.

What is important? Breaks, steering, anything new coming out for '09 that i should know about if I can't buy by November? The most important thing i'll want to do once i buy is to take good care of it and have a lot of fun. Any particular tires that give a nicer ride when packing it in with the black lab on the back?

The Polaris v. Honda v. Arctic Cat v. Suzuki argument will rage on for eternity! I recommend riding the wheelers (especially friends) to see what you like then checking with the dealerships. For what you are looking at every manufacturer makes a wheeler that will get the job done. They all have different rack setups etc. For me when I take the jump and get a new wheeler (instead of borrowing my inlaws all the time) I will look at the dealership service more than anything else. I live in the Valley and Wasilla Arctic Cat has earned my families business! They have sourced parts for my sled that all the other dealers said didn't exist! They have also worked to cut me a better deal than I was able to find in my shopping. I have sent my wife in with a wrong part and no reciept and despite her being nervous about it they exchanged it for the correct part with no questions. My cousin broke a starter and was stranded so they pulled a starter from one of their machines on the floor and sent it with his buddies (he stayed with the machine) back up baldy to install it.
    I don't buy anything from that dive shop in anchorage!! I have heard good things about the dealers out toward Big lake and some of the others off the beaten path I just have been so happy with Wasilla AC that I don't have a reason to drive out of town.

You can gets lots of fair advise here but you really need to decide more of what you want, especially as to engine size and weight. Remember more engine means more required fuel and usually more weight. As to duck hunting how much bogging are you doing to get there? This might mean a lighter weight ATV so it is easier to get unstuck. Think more as to your needs, then think toward your wants. Cost might also be a factor for you to consider. There are capable 4x4 ATV starting around $4500 (new 300 class) right up to over $10,000. I also agree with getting out of Anchorage for the best deal. Big Lake Yamaha and Hatcher Pass Polaris have given me fantastic deals from $600 to $1000 less then Anchorage on machines in the past. Good Luck and have fun.

I love my Arctic Cat 500, but if AC doesn't put power steering on their bikes in the near future I am going to head to Yamaha. The Grizzly with power steering is slick, especially with mud tires.

I don't think I would ever buy a 4 wheeler after spending some time on a 6 wheeler. Ultimately, that's the primary consideration for me. The ability to carry lots of gear without a trailer and the superior performance of 6 wheels when it comes to avoid getting stuck seals the deal.

Default thanks

thanks, for the mentioning of arctic cat dealership here in wasilla and closer to home shops. Im sure I can appreciate it when it comes time to buy. If we're making big money and we can afford both styles, 4 and 6 wheelers then by golly a guy would have both of them parked on his property but maybe some day. 6 wheelers i suppose are great for packing out harvested game and camping etc....

i was in fact wondering about the weight issue. not sure how easy it is to get stuck but i'm not looking to get the biggest beast. I had a chance to pay cash for a new ATV when i first moved to ak in '04 when i had $72,000 cash on me but just didn't think about it. Sure wish i had of.

I know a dealership would tell me this and a down pmt wouldn't be a problem with me but can someone tell me what kind of credit score one usually must have to get financed?