Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions and Ideas

Default Some questions and Ideas

1. Should Emotion have any influence on how Commercial fishing is managed?
    2. Because Grandpa did it this way, should that method continue to be used when better methods have been invented?
    3. If Commercial fishing is only a few generations old, should it be considered a heritage?

I say no to #1
    No to #2
    No to #3
    what do you think?

If Max had the power to pull it off, this is how I would change the commercial fishing in the State of Alaska, and the fish that are from Alaska waters.

First I would take an accounting of a 10 year average of every permit holder in the state. Then I would give each permit holder a number of shares in the amount to reflect the average of their permit catch.
    this would be just like a stock market Share and would and could be bought and sold.
    Then I would pull every permit and outlaw any drift, or set nets in the waters of Alaska.
    I would outlaw the commercial sale of any Salmon caught in a Net in the United states.
    I would then invest in removable weirs for every substantial river system in Alaska. I mean ( every river with any apprecciable runs ).
    Those that want to continue to work in the commercial harvest would then be hired on a hourly basis to operate the weirs.
    Those that want to still drive their boats would now become tenders and be positioned as needed at the weirs that are active with fish.
    Each weir would be operated in this manner.
    Each river would be given a number of desired escapement by the ADF&G and at least one third party company that would also employ fishery scientists to evaluate what would provide a sustained annual harvest.
    In this way every river would have the opportunity to have a run, unhampered by drift fleet or set nets wipping out an entire run of say a small stream like Bishop creek or anyother of the thousands of small streams that get hit by the openers now.
    Those hired to work at the weirs would count escapement and manage the weir, and help in the vacum process of putting fish on the tenders.
    The Fish would be pulled from the weir never using nets so that there would be no damage to the fish in anyway.
    Fish would only be tendered as the processor was able to process them with no more than a few hours between taken from the weir until fish were on the floor of the processor.
    This would mean that at times fish would have to what for a time at the weir before the call would be made that the processor could actually take them.
    The operators of the tenders would then be able to work under contract in the co-op and be paid to tend.
    What would this do to the Commercial fishing industry of Alaska?
    Change it for the better, because it would use common sense rather than the emotions that dictate its operation now.
    The nice thing about the stock holdings would be that a family that wanted to continue to work in the commercial fishing industry could make even more money than ever before, and those that don't want to work in the industry anylonger would still recieve an annual dividend based on the profits of the Co-op.
    this is my take.
    No more fish sitting for hours and sometimes days dead before processed.
    More control of costs.
    Oh yeah,, everybody loves those net marks on fish in the fish case.
    and yes those of you that have worked in the process business know how poor the quality of fish really is due to the time consuming methods now used and the over handling of fish..
    Just walk into any of the processors and take a look at the lack of quality instead of what it could be if it were done in a more efficient manner..
    Why not do it More effiecient than having thousands of people spreading out over beaches and in drift boats using up expensive and polluting boats bobbing around in rough seas trying to fish the line.... taking many hours to fill the boat then the boat ride to the proccessor and the hours to unload etc.....
    To me, the commercial fishing methods here in Alaska would be considered a joke by anyone that would propose a viable business plan for this industry.
    So.. please poke as many holes as you can in these ideas, because from many may come some good ideas rather than the business as usual..
    Aren't you embarrassed that Farmed fish would even have a little of the market share, when wild Pacific Salmon is such a far superior fish?
    The question is then, " Who's fault is it that Atlantic Farmed Salmon have such a huge part of the share?"Its the prehistoric mentality of the emotional folks in the industry. You could easily wipe out the farmed fish industry if you would all really come together and do it right,,, think about it.. My grandpa used to farm with horses, but one day a tractor showed up and kicked his butt. You guys are still trying to farm with horses, because why?
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default bingo

Why the tenders? On the major rivers like the Kenai and Kasilof just put the weir right at the cannery and funnel them babies right up on the cleaning table.

Default A lot of nerve

Alaskacanoe-

You have a lot of nerve!

Lot at all the nasty personal attacks that I have received on this forum for even hinting at changing the "noble" business of commercial fishing to allow for significant fish up the Kenai for the tens thousands of weekend sport fishermen.

Indeed there are a "million fish in the river" - not just scraps - giving all of use weekend fishermen "ample opportunities" to fill our freezers with the fish that escaped the nets.

Indeed an "extra 100,000 fish in the river this year would have lead to a massive "over escapement" , "loss of resources" and the complete collapse of the entire sockeye run in the Kenai.

According to the supporters of commercial fishing you are "lazy", a "whinner", "make "poor life choices", and don't even know how to catch fish.

Shame on you for even suggesting any change at all!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Hey Max

Hi Max,

Inre #1, don't think emotion should play a role in ANY mgmt, whether it is commercial, sport, or PU.

Inre #2, ways of the past aren't necessarily what we want to do now (like fishtraps), but doesn't mean all ways of the past are bad.

Inre #3, I'd say that commercial fishing in general is a "tradition" that has fed much of the world; often stocks were over-exploited however, and we've learned from that. As far as a "heritage," and being passed down from generation to generation, that sometimes happens and I see no problem with that happening.

Many have asked that fishtraps be made legal again to do what you are basically saying with weirs. There are several problems with your idea though when we are talking about five different stocks of salmon, some of which enter the rivers at the same time, in the many thousands. Some commercial fisheries utilize gill nets inriver in the interior (when runs allow), and weirs would not be possible. I don't know why you'd want to outlaw that practice really. Weirs are very costly and also would not be practical in all areas.

Overall, I think our fisheries mgmt plans use good science (what you may refer to as "common sense") over emotion. They aren't perfect, but it's a very complex thing trying to manage mixed-stock fisheries for maximum sustained yield (according to our laws), along with attempting to allocate stocks to differing user groups.

As far as being embarrassed about farmed fish having a market share, that is really stretching things Max; why would anyone be embarrassed? People like to eat fish; they tend to want to pay lower prices...it is what it is. Farmed fish market is not going to go away no matter what anyone does imo. Certainly the "quality" of our wild fish could be better in many cases and we have some problems with getting fish to the processors quickly and all that. I think many are starting to realize now how to improve quality and market a higher quality wild salmon.

As to your last about grandpa farming with horses and the analogy of that to current commercial fishing using nets, that doesn't wash in my mind. The vast improvements made to boats, motors, gear etc have really changed how fishing is done, so the fleet in general has already gone to "tractors" as it were. We've fished with gill nets out here inriver on a Yukon tributary for over a quarter century...how would you have us change how we do it?

I respect your points and all, but the irony here for me is that I think much of your post is (subconciously) based on emotion. Not sure if you see that or not. When you talk about "marks" on fish from nets, and outlawing all commercial sale of any salmon caught in a net anywhere in the U.S., those are wholly emotional opinions imo.

Anyway, just my opinion. We have some problems for sure...as I said our mgmt isn't perfect. We can work to solve those problems I think without trying to eliminate commercial fishing with nets.
    Best, (ps, tvf, you posted while I was writing; that kind of response is unwarranted and doesn't serve any good purpose here.)

Default business

I was talking about commercial fishing as a business unit.
    Making Commercial fishing of Alaska Fish better.
    All of these thoughts came years ago when I worked in Kenai 20 years ago and witnessed how horrible the fishing systems really worked.
    Here is the emotion.
    If you personally caught salmon and then left it in a tote for over 24 hrs. uncleaned and un bled. would you serve it to your family?
    ( If so, don't get your feelings hurt If I decline your offer to come over to your house for a fish dinner)
    Why would you think that it is fine to sell such a fish to someone else?
    If you think this is an isolated incident, then you have not been around the proccessors.... Just go down to a proccessor now and ask any young lad working there if he takes fish home for dinner?... He will tell you no way.
    In Dillingham this year, the processors limited 2,000 lbs of fish per fishing permit once every 24 hrs. This was due to the inability of the proccessor to handle the amounts of fish that were waiting to be processed.
    How many fish went to waste that were caught in the nets and then thrown away because they had more than the 2,000 lb limit?
    I was in Dillingham on July 4th and talked to commercial fishermen that were dragging up because it just was not worth it, and if they continued to fish.. were forced into wanton waste of commercially caught Salmon. No where to peddle your over catch of fish,, so toss the dead fish back into the river.....
    Pretty poor business in my opinion and wasting the resource.
    Years ago I used to fly in a plane over to the west side of cook inlet and also on Kalgin Island. these were beach landings and had to be done when the tides allowed. We picked up totes of fish and flew them back to Kenai to be processed,, the stink in the plane was overwhelming and yet the fish were past on to be proccessed and checks were cut to those folks that sent over the fish...
    those fish that were in the totes, were many many many hours over due to be processed properly,, and of course,, no ice etc.
    Waste, and also quality gone... and yet the proccessors packaged and sent them out to unsuspecting folks throughout the world to eat....
    They sent out fish that you and I would not eat unless starvation was the only other option.. and yet,,, it goes on today, like yesterday.. all driven by personel greed, and the inability to change to a system that would actually work to send out fish that are indeed processed in a decent manner. Now,, if you go to the fish counter in New York City and buy a sockeye Salmon, you are taking the chance that it was one of those many fish that sat in the sun and or in a tote or the hold of a boat longer than what would be resonable.
    So yes,, we should be embarrassed... that kind of business dealings is prehistoric, and needless..
    You say that the weirs are expensive?
    Not compared to the amounts of waste in fuel and current infrastructure of the burdensome system we are now using. Think of all the waste in Fuel, over labor and even enforcement... ,,Not even a contest...
    Put a grade A specimen of a Sockeye or King, or Silver in a display case next to a Atlantic Farm raised Salmon and let a knowlegable fish salesman help you pick a fish for your hungry family.... With out the added Red food color enhancements to the Atlantic Salmon, it would seldom be purchased.
    So.. some would say.. " but I want to catch my subsistance fish in a net".
    Knock yourself out,, but don't try and peddle your Net marked up fish commercially..
    Max

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I don't think what you describe really happens still today, Max. Yes, I am aware of the situation this year in Bristol Bay. That was due to poor decisions made on whether to allow additional offshore processing vessels to come into the Bay. The land-based processors assured the state that they had the capacity to handle the catch. They were wrong, and blatantly so. If we increase processing capacity out there, large catches become a non-issue.

As for the rest of the state, much has changed in the past 20 years. Many areas have formed their own marketing organizations and as a part of that have dramatically improved fish handling standards. Salmon in many fisheries are now bled immediately and iced, processed, and preserved in a far shorter time than in the past. Gone are the days of fish sitting uniced and unbled in totes for many long hours. Farmed salmon will always have a niche, as they are inexpensive and thus within the financial reach of some consumers, but it is that very price difference that shows what a difference there currently is between a wild product and farmed salmon. Banning nets is not necessary (nor is it feasible in some river systems), but instead we need to do an even better job of educatint the public on the health, ecological, and culinary superiority of wild fish that are well taken care of (as they indeed are).

Default Cheap Salmon

Why does a Wild Salmon cost more than a farm raised Salmon.?
    Seems to me that Wild Salmon should be cheaper at the store.
    No one had to pay for that feed, and the cages that they were raised in.
    All you gotta do, is wait for them to come back and make sure enough make it up the river they came from so you can get a harvest later.
    So tell me why are they more expensive?
    And why do they need to be?
    Well, I can answer the why do they need to be part,,,
    because the cost of catching them and proccessing them is more, and they are better table fare.
    Now... here is the reason I would commission the coast guard to sink every vessel that got caught with a commercial fishing net, and have the Army drive over every set net site with a tank....
    Because you cannot be for sure where the fish are headed, and Fish run in schools, and because Salmon not only return to their birth stream, they go and lay eggs within feet of where they were born....
    and yet,, you just wiped out Bishop Creeks entire run and did not know it, other than you said to your self as you picked your net,," Hey this bunch of fish look a lot smaller than the ones on the last tide"....
    Congratulations mr Commercial fisherman.. now a 100 fish made it up the little stream rather than the 2,500 that were needed to fulfill proper escapement for Bishop Creek, Silver Creek, and the hundreds and thousands of little streams that could produce enough fish to actually become good enough producers to annually stage a weir and be tended a few times...
    So,, that is why your Set nets and Drift boats need to go..
    it was only a few years ago that claims were made the almost the entire run of Salmon for a certain river were caught near Kodiak Island by commercial boats.....
    Canada claims that many of its rivers fish are also caught in the open sea and River runs ruined in the same way.... Law suits etc... All because you really don't know where the fish you are harvesting are trying to get to.. It may be a big old river like the Nushagak, or the Kenai , or it may be the entire run for No name river,, that can now be officially called No Fish river.
    Max
    So we just need to get you and your nets out of the Salt water, and concentrate on each river systems run and then harvest the overages..

Max- I think I understand where you are coming from. Among other things, you're proposing a better way to process commercially caught salmon because you have seen poor handling of these beautiful fish. As familiar as you are with Cook Inlet, you've probably heard of the Kenai Wild brand. Here is their website http://kenaiwild.org/ . The sole processor of the Kenai Wild brand is Kenai River Seafoods http://kenairiverseafoods.com/ . Dan Thompson is the president of Kenai River seafoods. He is extremely serious about raising the quality of Cook Inlet salmon delivered to customers. I've talked with him many times about what they are doing and he seems passionate about it. They have a prescribed method of handling fish. No dropping, instant bleeding, icing, use of brailer bags, limiting weight per brailer, quick delivery. It's definitely not how things were done even 5 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. You said "Commercial fishing is only a few generations old"; it's older than that, but even if it were only 2 generations, it becomes a part of a family's way of life. I hear what you are suggesting, but I'm for alternative measures (like the Kenai Wild brand and others) that retain the ability for fisherman to get in their boats and catch fish. It seems to me that management does a good job juggling all the different runs, rivers, and users (you probably disagree).
    Last edited by Powderpro; 08-09-2008 at 20:37. Reason: additions

Default I don't disagree

Kenai Wild is what we are talking about.. Great stuff...
    I may have met or seen many of you at last years fish symposium held in Soldotna.
    My grind is that anyone that harvests a fish has a responsibility to that fish to do everything in their power to make it the finest table fare in the world, and to make sure that beautiful strain of fish continues to sustain.
    Those that fish off shore or on shore are not positive that the fish they catch that day did not wipe out a run destined for a certain little stream.
    Its not rocket science, nor does it need to be.
    In 1976 I was excited to see and hear about the advances in heart transplants for humans.
    Many machines were created and all of them failed.
    These heart machines were engineered and designed by the best scientists in the world, and yet, they did not work. Not even long enough to keep a human alive for a few hours while the attempt at tranplanting a donated heart.
    Then came along a young man named Jarvik. He was working @ Utah University and was very interested in the mechanical heart research, because his own father was in need of a transplant.
    He looked at all of the designs, all the moving parts, all the scientists and engineered designs,,, and then realized that they were all over engineered.
    He came up with a very simple design with very few moving parts.
    It was very simple and was put down by the medical science community until it was tested on a cow that survived for a record number of hours. Many many more hours than any of the massive and engineered machines could deliver.
    The Jarvik 7 was born and used.
    Dr. Jarvik has stated many times that over complication is what kills most projects.
    It seems amazing that Dr. Jarvik was not accepted into medical school and had to do the end around in order to finally get where he wanted to do.
    Turned Down by Medical Schools
    But, in the meantime, Jarvik was having some trouble realizing his immediate dreams. After he graduated in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in zoology, his medical plans were thwarted by his grades, which were inadequate for acceptance in an American medical school. By Jarvik's own admission, he was rejected by about 25 different medical schools in the United States.
    http://www.umm.edu/heart/jarvikQA.htm
    I see a similar situation with one of our States greatest resources.
    People that think dealing with Alaskas fish has to be complicated,, are like the losers in the heart machine race. They think that science gives them a bigger voice, but really that is what convolutes it all..
    K.I.S.S.
    Keep it Simple Stupid .. was the driving force in the advancement of Dr. Jarviks inventions.
    Maybe we should not be so intimidated by the science.
    It has its place, but it is not always the correct answer to the problem.

Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 08-09-2008 at 21:31.

Default not quite...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yes, I am aware of the situation this year in Bristol Bay. That was due to poor decisions made on whether to allow additional offshore processing vessels to come into the Bay. The land-based processors assured the state that they had the capacity to handle the catch. They were wrong, and blatantly so. If we increase processing capacity out there, large catches become a non-issue.
    Brian, nothing is stopping any domestic processor (onshore or offshore) from entering the Bristol Bay fishery...and nothing ever has. Under the M-S Act, the Governor has the authority to allow foreign processors in...but the Russian-owned floater that was interested a few years ago didn't even apply for entry this year.

ADFG did a preseason survey of the BB processing capacity and came up with 1.7 million fish/day as the max capacity...but the July 2 catch was 2.5 million fish! And that followed a few days of well over a million fish/day harvest. I can certainly understand the fishermen's frustration with the idle time...but even if you look at the total escapements, there weren't a whole lot of fish that went "unharvested" (above escapement goals).

Yes, more processing capacity in the Bay would be a good thing for years like this. But overall, the Bay had a great year. Perhaps it could have been a little better...but no processor was denied entry.

BTW Brian, nice avatar, congrats.

Thanks for the clarification, MRFISH. I was under the impression that the Russian processors applied again this year, but I guess I was mistaken. One has to wonder if they didn't apply because they were summarily rejected previously, but that's a moot point now.

Thanks for the note on the avatar. Having a little one is nothing but a blessing thus far!

Default Why are we discussing this as reasonable

The proposal is not reasonable for a variety of reasons and I therefore questions why one would even discuss it. Here are a few areas -

It would pay someone not to work - hardly the American way.

It would make the State the harvester of the fish and distributing money - this is more in line with a Russia or socialist country than America.

Fish quality would not improve - fish quality at sea is much better than in rivers. The volume of fish entering the Kenai or Kasilof would not be able to be handled by the processors.

Cost of weirs would not be efficient - the mixed stock and mixed species nature of the UCI fishery is more efficient that a weir based harvest method.

Farmed fish were cheaper because of government funding helping keep production up but in truth Alaska wild salmon are cheaper when that helping hand goes away - which is happening in a number of countries.

What are we fixing? The system is not broken - it is a great management system and this proposal has many more flaws than listed above.

I do not think we should waste anymore time on it.

Default Governments roll

The only Government contribution would be in the form of helping determine the escapement of individual rivers.
    everything else would be free enterprise and loosen the bonds of Government controls.
    The Co-op would be similar to Farming Co-ops in the lower 48 where Farmers come together.
    just trying to get some new and old thoughts
    Max

Max,

I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I agree with you on the waste and quality stuff 100%. Where we can do better with those issues we should strive to do so. I think in future with the genetics studies the Dept is doing now (I'm taking samples here) that we will get a much better handle on things too in terms of determining where salmon caught in the open ocean and mainstems are from, and how to better control any overfishing (inriver and ocean) to ensure stocks make it where they need to go in sufficient numbers.
    Best,

Default genetic studies

I have talked with a few biologists lately and more than one has mentioned we need genetic studies on more than what is being done now, on salmon. Funding is the key!!! Up here in the valley, I am bugging the upper cook inlet task force members to throw more funds at that. Interception and in river totals ( intertwined) might be more spelled out and not so much as a guessing game as it is now. So much finger pointing and fighting over allocation gets old quick and I have been involved for only three years.
    I made it a point this summer by inviting a couple of politicians to go dipnetting with me and once they were in my boat, I had a captive audience!!! You guys should do the same.

Default sorry for the harsh tone

Alaskacanoe - sorry for the harsh tone of my post. I just know we discussed this for a long time just awhile ago. We also had Bob Penney's proposal which was along the same lines discussed at the state level in the late 80's. It was called the Final Solution or Ultimate Solution which caused an uproar because of the terms were used by Hitler to rid the planet of the Jewish peoples.

In any event, the whole purpose of limited entry was to create a number of small businesses that were economically viable and at the same time provide for a managed resource. To just turn those objectives into providing money to limited entry permit holders via a co-op or whatever you call it is against what I believe we should be doing.

However, a bigger picture is just what is the goal of doing this type of radical approach. I mean if we are going to have weirs why not distribute fish to the personal use fishery and sport fishery to avoid the damage they do to the river banks and wetlands at the mouth of the river. The rivers would be cleaner ( Little Sus is in violation of hydrocarbon standards for example) and of course we could just feed all of the State right here from UCI. How would you determine who gets to catch what - since weirs are on rivers above other fisheries does the commercial fishery just get what is left. If not what programs are you going to implement to see that the commercial allocation is reached. It would be a harvested based system since share value is dependent on harvest. The incentive to overharvest goes way up.

What programs should the state fund for a co-op - there is a large cost to running weirs and maintaining management control. Also, what programs would need to be developed to figure out the run size for coho, chum, pink, chinook, and sockeye?

Relative to those other species the coho enter hundreds of streams in UCI. Are you suggesting they all have weirs -

What do you do with the fish if processors do not want them - pink salmon value is in salt water not freshwater as they lose quality very fast. So are you suggesting a poorer quality for pinls or a different type of fishery for them?

I guess in the end I would like to know what problem one is solving with this approach. Your reasons about quality do not hold up when examined for all species and even sockeye in UCI. The idea nets are bad for some reason and should be outlawed speaks to a bias but I am not sure what? The net marks on fish are not a problem if markets are good - for example Cooper River sockeye and UCI reds get good prices.

So what is it you are solving with this radical plan that will cost more to implement and the fish will be of less quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One has to wonder if they didn't apply because they were summarily rejected previously, but that's a moot point now.
    That's entirely possible.

Smile My point's

Salmon are attempting to return to a specific place, so why are we going out into the open ocean messing around?
    Why not just wait at the brackish water and collect them in a more efficient manner?
    I have not heard from anyone how bobbing around in the ocean netting fish helps to ensure the escapement of the rivers and streams?
    How accurate is our current methods of determining what a run is going to be?
    Oh,, we all know that answer..... Way off..
    last year the ADF&G said they anticipated over 225,000 kings to make it to the Nushagak region.
    Well,, they were only off over 50%, so thats no so bad. Again this year they were off by only 40% or so..
    and really, does anyone really believe the estimated return numbers that are turned in pre fishing season by the division?
    Honestly,,, I desire with all of my heart ( Emotion) a much closer estimate than the ones we have been getting over the past 20 years..
    The science is just not good enough to validate, and all it does is embarrass.. Thats all it can do because there is no accountability.
    I can reach up and pull a number out of hat and be just about as accurate.
    Then we have the Knee jerk reactions every year with the division as they try to apease the commercial interest and the inter river commercial interest ( Guides ) , and then the sports fisherman and then the dip netters,, All the time trying to hold a straight face ,,, playing and pandering to the different user groups..
    People have a responsibitlity to question authority, especially when the people in the division are forced to play Public relations games, and do stuff like Emergency openers and closers and all that,..
    You could do away with all of that if you just caught the fish at the rivers mouth in brackish water.
    All the user groups would then be given a chance to harvest fish, provide for better science to be practiced, and permit holders to become wealthy as they finally come into the 21st century..
    Pinks in the salt you say?
    Different species of Salmon running at the same time?
    how to handle that?
    Well,, that would be alot easier challenge than the way bycatch is working now...
    You know.. I have been in many industries over my 50 plus years, including building precise sorting machines, and its easy to build and design gap designs for even the smallest deviations of size,, which of course most all of our fish could be sorted without any labor...
    They would not even know they were being sorted...
    Yes, a few jacks and such would be involved in by catch, but not like whats happening in the current situations.
    So I guess we are back to the original questions about how much should emotion be a part of commercial fishing management?
    Seems to me that is the driving force..
    That is why Bob Penny's name comes up so often,, and is spoke of with such emotions.. both good and bad,, but seldom indifferent..lol,,

Max

Default You did not answer question

Max, you did not answer any of my questions which question your assumptions about costs and efficient harvest, quality of product, and the social impacts. You just restated your position.

Quality goes down in freshwater or in the estuarine areas - do you agree or not?

Weirs are very costly - how many systems do you want to harvest from and at what cost? A Kenai River weir would be a multi-million dollar operation.

Processors cannot handle the volume of fish from a weir - how would you distribute the harvest to the various processors or are you putting them out of business except for one or two?

You state that net fisheries are not good for stocks and are a threat to resources. However, the history of Alaska fisheries management is that stocks are healthy and well managed. How do you resolve the conflict between your statements and history of Alaska fisheries management?

You also state that the forecast is way off - who cares? The fisheries are managed on what shows up not what the forecast is. So other than industry that may want precise forecasts who really cares if they are accurate given they will never be accurate enough to manage a fishery on?

Sorting of fish by size or someother criteria while they are swimming upstream - no offense but I would like to see some proof that pink and sockeye and coho and chum can be separated? Getting fish to behave the way one wants is not easy.

I guess I have wasted enough time on this but relative to emotion in commercial fisheries management I have no idea of what you speak. The decisions to open or not open must be defended on the data and are for the most part. Emotion enters everything but in fish management rationale thought usually prevails. What data do you have to suggest otherwise other than the mention of Bob Penny. That indivudual is mentioned because of his statements about fish management in UCI and how those statements are either incorrect or changes the foundation of Alaska fisheries management. That is not emotion just fact.

Thumbs up gonna pull a Mark on you

You did not answer question
    Max, you did not answer any of my questions which question your assumptions about costs and efficient harvest, quality of product, and the social impacts. You just restated your position.

Quality goes down in freshwater or in the estuarine areas - do you agree or not?
    I agree that the quality can go down in an estuary.
    The clock probably starts clicking for a fish when he makes a hard left out of the ocean..
    So it sounds like there could be a demand for floating processors. Many runs of Salmon enter their waters at different times, as well as many at the same time, so along with the current processors, added float-a-processors may be a great boon..

Weirs are very costly - how many systems do you want to harvest from and at what cost? A Kenai River weir would be a multi-million dollar operation.
    Absolutely expensive. Anything thats worth a darn usually is, so you want to buy it once and buy it right.

Processors cannot handle the volume of fish from a weir - how would you distribute the harvest to the various processors or are you putting them out of business except for one or two?
    The only thing that puts a place out of business is a place that does it better and cheaper. I would hope we are not into keeping a business in business by the prop up methods, We can see the results of prop up economies in this state already.
    If someone can see a way to make a buck with the added demand, just get out of the way and let it happen.

You state that net fisheries are not good for stocks and are a threat to resources. However, the history of Alaska fisheries management is that stocks are healthy and well managed. How do you resolve the conflict between your statements and history of Alaska fisheries management?
    If so well managed, why have salmon runs fallen off at times so far that even subsistance fishing was shut down on the yukon and other rivers. These people actually are in some ways living a subsistance life to a degree and due to lack of even Chum salmon have been told,, "tough luck",, and the Government had to step in and help with delivering fish via plane to some villages.. Some folks even donated fish to be deliverd Via air cargo so they had enough to make it. Does " we are asking the Govenor to declare the closer of subsistance fishing a State of emergency".. ring any bells...

You also state that the forecast is way off - who cares? The fisheries are managed on what shows up not what the forecast is. So other than industry that may want precise forecasts who really cares if they are accurate given they will never be accurate enough to manage a fishery on?
    So why are we spending one measely Dime on divisions of the ADF&G to make and determine forcasts that are so far off and of no value..,, sounds like a house cleaning is in order if It does not matter.. Who the heck sold someone on such an idea as forcasting fish runs?

Sorting of fish by size or someother criteria while they are swimming upstream - no offense but I would like to see some proof that pink and sockeye and coho and chum can be separated? Getting fish to behave the way one wants is not easy.
    Have you ever been involved with size sorting? I have and can sort by size an apple or other items within
    { OD m/m's}
    You don't give them a choice, you start out with big, go smaller and then if needed one size smaller and guess what,, the sized fish are in the respective pen, ready for vacum action.. Its not like using a stretchy old net floating around doing the sorting.. the weir does not give. then one guy says to me.. "what about debri coming down stream".. and I said " ramp debri coming down stream as it is lighter and then pitched off,, just like when we did the same thing to keep debri out of our irrigation system pipes as it came down the canals full of logs, cups, weeds and the same stuff any river gives up.we were able to keep our systems clean enough to use sprinklers. water in a jet less than a 1/4 inch.." And it was not even over engineered... or added by a Government agency..

I guess I have wasted enough time on this but relative to emotion in commercial fisheries management I have no idea of what you speak. The decisions to open or not open must be defended on the data and are for the most part. Emotion enters everything but in fish management rationale thought usually prevails. What data do you have to suggest otherwise other than the mention of Bob Penny. That indivudual is mentioned because of his statements about fish management in UCI and how those statements are either incorrect or changes the foundation of Alaska fisheries management. That is not emotion just fact.
    I can tell that many of us here can't help but have emotions about these subjects.. Brian has voiced his love of being out on the family boat doing there commercial interest for a few days or weeks each year..
    Bob Penny included... What drives Bob? not sure, but his name comes up alot...
    Nerka I would hope you feel you have not wasted your time on my thoughts. You are indeed a respected voice here. You have spent more hours than I could ever dream of working within the sorted fisheries and its management. Its easy for a lay person like me to sit back and arm chair quarterback the methods and means of those that are attempting to make wins for the fish first, and then the user groups... This may put to bed others that have though similar thoughts about this resource...
    Mark, I know you are way up river, and to me that is most important that your little river and every other tributary gets every chance possible to have a strong enough run for you and your neighbors use, and especially the Gravel beds that are waiting for lots of spawning eggs to hide...
    I truly do appreciate what you do here. Your ideas, your commitment and your good overall attitude to folks like me.
    I did not mean to think I have all the answers.
    I did mean though to voice my thoughts.
    If a person does not entertain others thoughts and suggestions then that is their problem.
    For those folks, its like a saying I sometimes use for the pessimist.
    " If there is a will... there is a way OUT... of making it happen".
    Max

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast