Thread: Lights stay on???

Unhappy Lights stay on???

My camper plugs into my truck at the bumper, my boat trailer plugs into its own plug at the bumper also. The problem is that now the lights on the camper and boat trailer just "stay on" with the truck and lights turned off. If I unplug either the camper or the boat trailer from their plugs at the bumper then the lights turn off. This just started about a week or so ago after my latest trip. -HELP, its driving me nuts!!!

I would start by checking all your grounds, especially the one on the trailer and truck plug. Usually on trailer wiring it's the ground especially if it just started.

Actually, ground problems are ususally a "lack of" and result in having no lights at all. If the lights are always on, then you have a short between a constant power source and the positive leg of the lighting circuit. Some plugs, such as the 7-pin RV connectors, have a power feed that is always hot. This is usually an auxilliary or battery charge circuit depending the application it was wired for. Behind the plug on the truck, you may have a short between that circuit and your lights.

What kind of plug is it (shape and number of pins)? Am I reading right that you have separate plugs for the 2 trailers? If so, you probably have a 6 or 7 pin RV that is mounted to the bumper for the camper and a 4 flat hanging on it's own wire for the boat. My guess is that the 4 flat is simply wired right off the main RV connector, so the root of the problem is in that one, not the boat connector.

What lights are always on (e.g. marker lights, stop lights, turn light, all of 'em, etc.)?

When you do turn on the truck lights, do the trailer lights get brighter or no change? Do the stop and turn signals still work?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default portable lights

I have taken all the wiring out of my trailers and used only portable or wireless lights for the last 2-3 years. They have never failed me. It looks a little redneck, but always having them work is better than spending fishing time playing with trailer lights.

The trailer light wiring on my Ford runs through relays in the power distribution box under the hood. Sounds like a relay contact stuck together. Good luck. CN

Quote Originally Posted by CaptNemo View Post
    The trailer light wiring on my Ford runs through relays in the power distribution box under the hood. Sounds like a relay contact stuck together. Good luck. CN

What kind of truck???

I have found chevy 7 pin to be wired a little different then others. If Ford then spot on for a stuck relay. Either way it sounds like you are getting some bleed over from a constant hotwire.

Its a 1999 Ford F250 Superduty diesel. When I had a brake controller installed on the dash, the camper lights stayed on first trip out, without the boat. Also, this is curious, my wipers stay on when they want to and I operated my power windows when the key was out of the truck, just once and hasn't done it again. This truck seems to have some electrical issues. What is this relay and what am I looking for??? -Thanks

The fuses and relay box under the hood is where you can start.

As far as having electrical issues it may actually be a controller problem. These new trucks have two or more computers and just not for engine management anymore.

What's your location? I am in Fairbanks now and will be back to Anchorville here soon.

I currently have two Fords and I am very good with the Ford systems. Also have the ability to pull codes and run on board systems tests with Auto Enginunity. Also real good with aftermarket performance.

I am in Anchorage. I will be around this week and weekend, I'll PM you my phone #.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    I am in Anchorage. I will be around this week and weekend, I'll PM you my phone #.
    We made the semi finals tomorrow. We have been the underdog in this tournament so anything can happen.....so worst case is we will be home Saturday night after finals.