Thread: Kenai Canoe Trails - Tern Lake??

Default Kenai Canoe Trails - Tern Lake??

I was wondering if anybody has any reports of the trip from the east entrance route from Portage Lake down to Swan Lake and down the Moose River? I did this trip with my father about five years ago and had a great time. My parents are planning the same trip and were concerned about the lake that was mostly mud, I belive it was Tern Lake. On our trip is was a lot of pushing the canoe through mud to get across.

Does anybody know if this lake is better this year with the rainy summer we have had.

Thanks for any info.

Scott

Default mostly Mud

That lake for some reason has been draining very slowly since the 1964 earth quake... I have watched it for the past 20 years slowly go away.
    I just looked it up on Google earth to see if I could see the old edges of the lake, and you can see it used to by pretty good sized lake many years ago.
    I get a kick out of that dock on the lake that sits out there on the edge of Mud.. its like a dock waiting for the tide to come back in..lol
    But,, if you just go to the side of the old boat launch and just write that lake off as a gonner,, its still a fantastic trip..
    The rest of the lakes seem to be holding up fine and the moose river has good water this year.
    nice trip...
    We had a group go down it two days ago and had a huge bull moose come thru camp at midnite.. it was a thrill for a couple from Swizterland to have that event...
    The fellow said they thought it a bear and when he looked outside the tent and saw just big long legs, and then an big set of Antlers,, he was awe struck...
    As you know ,, no fish in the first 4 lakes on the east entrance. the first lake with fish is the biggest lake,, Swan..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Teal lake

Sorry I did not post that, but the lake in question is Teal lake.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com