Thread: Just the boys, trip to Seward

Default Just the boys, trip to Seward

Spent three days in Seward with my boys (5 & 2 1/2). We were targeting Silvers, but mostly looking for a good time.

Day one (Aug 5) went out to Callisto Head. Pretty rough (the two year old gets sea sick). Then over to Fox with no luck. The search for calmer seas took us back to Caines Head, which yielded two nice Silvers out of half a dozen hook ups. We trolled with the tide, downriggers set at 45' and using herring and flashers. Only able to get the downriggers set and down on the down wind troll due to my crews lack of experience (the up wind troll was impossible with a five year old at the wheel while dad was setting gear). We ended day one at the Army Military Rec camp hotel room watching bow hunting on the outdoor channel.

Day two (Aug 6). Straight out to Caines Head using similar tactics. Different flashers and Pro Troll E lures (fresh bait got left in truck oops) This yielded two more Silvers (pics below)and one small pink. Not as many hookups, but fish where bigger. Ended day two same as before (no bowhunting on tv).

Day three (Aug 7). Same place, same tactics + a little mooching, no luck. Called it quits early for the drive back to Palmer.

A great time was had by all. I haven't had as much fun just hanging out with any other guys. My two buddies are a whole lot of fun and the older one is becoming quite the seaman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pics

A couple more pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That just rocks, Jeff! Thanks for sharing. Looking at my little one (almost 3 months) sitting here sleeping I don't want him to grow up too fast, but I absolutely love stories and pictures like yours and end up getting really excited about taking my boy and his future sibling out fishing. Good stuff!

That's awesome. I love taking out my 5 and 7 year old. It is always fun spending time outdoors with them. You get to answer lots of questions, talk about lots of great things, and make some excellent memories. Catching fish is optional (except for my serious 7 year son who lives to fish).

Default Short crew delivers

That's great, AKJeff. I know the feeling.

A few weeks ago, my crew (8.5 yo boy and 5 yo girl) spent a few days at sea with dad and we were able to land a 90 lb halibut. Talk about chaos. They handle the seas really well since they were both on the boat starting at a few months old. But when that big halibut stated to run, and I told the boy to "let her go!", he let go of the rod. I managed to catch it on the way by and we finally go the harpoon into the fish.

Best part about it is the proud feeling when we get to the dock and he is able to catch a cleat with the line for a smooth tie up at the dock, no chaos there, just a smiling dad.

I know your kids will remember the great times they're having on the water with you. I certainly remember my early days on the water gillnetting starting at 8 years old. Cheers.

My first is 14 months. I'm like Brian. I don't want him to grow too fast but I very much look forward to taking him out on a trip like this. Thanks for sharing.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

AKJEFF
    you have not seen anything yet! It only gets better! One day WAY TO SOON you will on your way driving down to fish and one of your sons will be driving. you will look over from the passenger seat and wonder where the time went. THe key is to fill that time with memories and you are off to a great start!

I remember taking the son fishing now I take his sons fishing and one of them drives. How's that for time sneaking up on ya. God it's great getting old..........

I love having the kids out there with me. Great memories. Thanks for the pics!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!