Thread: When waxing bow strings?

Default When waxing bow strings?

This might be a dumd question, but is one for thought. Can you over wax?
    Will cold weather affect the wax job? Thanks in advance,,,akpappy

I normally rub on a light coat and run my fingers up and down the string fairly rapidly to melt the wax into the string. I don't think cold would affect it much. Obviously you don't want to use half a tube on a waxing!!

I have been operating under the assumption waxing after you are done shooting, or every other shoot. I always feel the string before I wax. If it no longer feels tacky, I wax.

After I wax, I use my fingers to rub the wax in. The heat from the friction helps the wax to penetrate the string.

I don't wax in the cold. I will shoot in the cold, but after I am done and back in the house or somewhere warm, I will wax with room temperature wax.

i was told to use a booger size wad on your strings,but, don't let it get on the cam. Any left over, toss it.
    it also depends on how often you shoot. I do mine about every 5th time i shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post
    i was told to use a booger size wad on your strings,but, don't let it get on the cam. Any left over, toss it.
    it also depends on how often you shoot. I do mine about every 5th time i shoot.
    Is that a little chick sized boogey or a "12 hours of sanding drywall without a mask" sized BOOGER?

"Is that a little chick sized boogey or a "12 hours of sanding drywall without a mask" sized BOOGER?"

I would go with the first option unless you are waxing your pick-up!

I shoot a bunch. I rarely wax. When I do I apply the wax and work it in by sliding my fingertips up and down the string until it is warm. When that is done I take a piece of serving string (or dental floss)...wrap it arround the string twice leaving 8" tag ends. I grab these ends and pull tight, then slide down the string..removing the excess wax.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I shoot a bunch. I rarely wax. When I do I apply the wax and work it in by sliding my fingertips up and down the string until it is warm. When that is done I take a piece of serving string (or dental floss)...wrap it arround the string twice leaving 8" tag ends. I grab these ends and pull tight, then slide down the string..removing the excess wax.
    I just tried that and think that that is my new way of doing it. I had never done the floss before, but I like it.

There is no need for the excess wax on your string. It just collects dirt

Default nobody else that

uses a small piece of leather to work the wax in??

I do that when I initially build a string (I build my own). Just be careful to not get it too hot, the fibers in a bowstring are really sensitive to excess heat.