Thread: Running in real cold weather, engine freeze

Default Running in real cold weather, engine freeze

Im planning on running on Kenai lake this september-october. I'm wondering what about if it dips below freezing at night, is my engine going to crack?

If so what do you do about it that doesnt involve winterizing every night?

Default a few ideas

Leave your lower unit down in the water so the water pump won't freeze. Depending on how your air intake is configured, be aware of icing the carbs in cooler weather. With my metal boat, I get a little ice build up on the hull while traveling which adds weight. dress warm !

Like M Gho said - leave your engine down in the water at night to protect the water pump impeller from freezing but you won't even come close to this happening on Kenai lake in Sept or Oct. When I lived on the upper Yetna, I would run the boats until the river was so clogged with running ice that it became impractical to continue. Granted that was running water vs the still water on the Kenai but the temps up there were WAY below freezing at night and never had a problem. As long as the lower unit is in above freezing temp water, you will have no problems - unless this record breaking cold summer makes me a liar but I doubt that .

if you are really worried about it you could cover the motor. It is pretty common knowledge that even just putting a tarp over the cowling on a warm sled in extreme temp will make it easier to start the next morning. You may run it till it's warm and wrap the power head if you are really worried about it. I agree that you will probably not have problems that time of year on the kenai.

Tilt the motor up while it is running to get the water out of the engine block for 15 seconds and put it back down into the water.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Years ago....**** I hate saying that****.....we were the only boat that did not freeze up over night on a Kenia lake trip. We tag lined our boat out with motor down to face a little weather others pulled theirs up to shore with motors up. We shuttled people and boats back across to the launch. By late afternoon just about everyone was back running or gone. I did see one guy the next night anchor out like we did and swam back.....****!!!!!!

As long as it doesn't get to zero you should make the night. If really worried about it, get up and warmup your engine. It should hold for at least a good 6 hours before freezing up any at all. The wp would freeze quicker if left out of the water.

Default freezing

In the harbors of Alaska there are lots of outboards that do just fine. We tend to worry about the output shaft housing splitting out due to ice expansion if the motor is left up. Granted, we're talking salt water vs fresh but as long as the motor is imersed in liquid, it can't get any colder until the surrounding water turns to solid.