Thread: Smoked Salmon To The Lower 48, Freeze Or Not?

Default Smoked Salmon To The Lower 48, Freeze Or Not?

I'm in the process of smoking some of my less than desirable pieces of king. My plan is to vacuum seal them in my Food Saver as soon as they cool and mail them off to my folks, in laws, and family. I'm curious on the best way to send them without paying a huge shipping cost. Obviously, I think, it would be best to freeze them and ship them overnight on dry ice (really expensive). I am wondering how they hold up if they are not frozen. Should I vacuum seal them and send them unfrozen? Or, should I freeze them and send them while they are thawing? I can't afford the couple of hundred bucks it would be to send all of these packages overnight with dry ice to a bunch of people. Let me know what has worked for you in the past. BTW it's dry smoked at 160 degrees for a few hours, not cold smoked.

The cheapest way to ship fish is to take a flat rate shipping box from the post office, line it with 1" blue board foam, and pack it full of frozen fish. $9 to anywhere in the US, and usually arrives in 3 days.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait a bit later in the year though, I wouldn't want such a package in a mail truck in 100+ deg temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The cheapest way to ship fish is to take a flat rate shipping box from the post office, line it with 1" blue board foam, and pack it full of frozen fish. $9 to anywhere in the US, and usually arrives in 3 days.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to wait a bit later in the year though, I wouldn't want such a package in a mail truck in 100+ deg temps.
    Good point. I'll be shipping to SC and TX. Probably not good temps for fish to be hanging out it.