Thread: Valdez Silvers Fished Out Myth?

Exclamation Valdez Silvers Fished Out Myth?

Ok, a friend just walked into the office and popped my little happy bubble. I was planning on going down to Valdez with some relatives around the 8 or 9th of September for Silvers off of Allison Point area. Apparently my friend, who also has some relatives coming into town then, tried to charter a salmon fishing excursion that week and was told by the charter that "sure I can take them out, but do you really want to go then?" Apparently the charter agent proceeded to explain that after Labor day, the rules change for the commercial fishermen and they basically can drop nets anywhere they want and clean the place out pretty much instantly.

I want to believe this is nothing but a silly rumor, yet it coming from a charter who has nothing to benefit from 'staying home' makes me think twice. Should I be concerned? Can anyone explain what the charter captain might have meant?

Wish I could help but I never go down that late, moose killin time. Curious to find out the answer though. Daveinthebush may be able to tell you though.

Default rumor is true

They clean out the bay the Tuesday after labor day. I understand there are still some fish but the numbers are much much lower. Might check out Kodiak about that time. They have some BIG silvers there.

YES, that is what they do.....I heard of this through the Alaska fish and game weekly report, a couple of years ago.

Yes That is a true statement. I'm sure there is an escapment goal seeing that it's a hatchery run. If they are running late will they postpone the cleaning until the numbers are met... not sure.

Default True

This happens every year, like clock work. Escapement goals are not an issue as their are something like 100-200K fish coming back each year, escapement is met handily, before Sept. 7. I have fished on these days and you might pick up 1 or 2 fish if trying hard and long.

Question When?

Can anyone confirm what day the commercial boats will start? I tried to look in the commercial regs but couldn't find it. I will be there that weekend and was hoping to get a few fish.
    Thanks,
    Greg

The boats are usually anchored fairly close to where they want to fish on Memorial day. Fishing begins on Tuesday. Last year most of the seine boats did poorly. However, it's still possible for sporties to go out and troll up a limit. The action dies off quickly in the following days.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 08-09-2008 at 11:12. Reason: spelling

Unhappy Thanks Everyone

So that sounds like a major bummer... I will need to do a quick alternate plan while the relatives are here... Anywhere you would recommend within the driving distance of Fairbanks to get some relatively fresh silvers that time of year? Are any of the creeks in Valdez accessible and legal to fish?