Thread: Stiff Mauser Bolt

Default Stiff Mauser Bolt

I have a FN Mauser in .458 Win Mag that has a stiff bolt on closing. It slides back and forth like butter, but when closing down the bolt it is difficult to do with the buttstock still on the shoulder. Sometimes it even seems to hang up and the bolt has to be pushed forward with a fair amount of force before pushing it down.

I know it's not supposed to be babied when working the bolt, but it's stiff enough that I can't do it from the shoulder on a regular basis. Bringing the gun down from the shoulder gives me enough leverage to close the bolt down fairly easily. I compare this gun to my Kimber Montana which can be closed with the flick of a few fingers and wonder why the Mauser isn't the same.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Offhand, it sounds like a locking lug issue. I know the lugs can be polished.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I have a FN Mauser in .458 Win Mag that has a stiff bolt on closing. It slides back and forth like butter, but when closing down the bolt it is difficult to do with the buttstock still on the shoulder. Sometimes it even seems to hang up and the bolt has to be pushed forward with a fair amount of force before pushing it down.

I know it's not supposed to be babied when working the bolt, but it's stiff enough that I can't do it from the shoulder on a regular basis. Bringing the gun down from the shoulder gives me enough leverage to close the bolt down fairly easily. I compare this gun to my Kimber Montana which can be closed with the flick of a few fingers and wonder why the Mauser isn't the same.
    This is an easy and fun repair. You need to acquire some lapping compound in 320 to 400 grit. grease based is what you need.

Disassemble the bolt take the firing pin and spring off. Get a big old worn out towel, put the lapping compound on the threads of the bolt shroud and some on the inside of the threaded portion of the bolt. Cover your chest and lap with the towel, set in front of the TV, put a good movie in the DVD and run the shroud in and out of the bolt body. It will take a while as these parts are hardened.

If this does not cure the problem, let me know as you have another problem involving the trigger.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Are you using handloads or factory? If factory closes fine, then your not sizing the cases enough. If it not the ammo, I would take it to a gunsmith, might be a short chamber or something else. JMO. Good luck. J.