Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Hands

Default Fish Hands

I am sure some of you like the smell of fish so much you lament the day it finally wears off your hands after a weekend of successful fishing. I am not a member of that club! So far I have found that the new dial complete foaming soap seams to work the best but I was curious what others have found effective.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am sure some of you like the smell of fish so much you lament the day it finally wears off your hands after a weekend of successful fishing. I am not a member of that club! So far I have found that the new dial complete foaming soap seams to work the best but I was curious what others have found effective.
    If it's real bad, I will wash my hands with milk. Then I'll use some of that "orange goop" that I use after I change the oil in my pick 'em up truck.

Default Fish Hands

We had a friend who was a dentist and he used listerine as a final rinse after you washed and rinsed with soap and hot water. The listerine also helped heal all the cuts and kinks.

Plain old salt works great, but only if you don't have any cuts, . Also works well on cutting boards, sinks, etc.

I usually use dish soap.

Default well

I don't know about you, but I don't like any of that yuckie fishie smellie on my hands so I wear these http://www.frankbeecostume.com/19metalliclame.html then I toss them in the trash with a shovel........

OK - not really.

Soap works fine...usually don't have that so I wash em in the river and call it good till my next shower!

[quote=
    Soap works fine...usually don't have that so I wash em in the river and call it good till my next shower![/quote]

Same method here. My Juneau truck, 91' Jeep Cherokee, and my garage have a distinct old fish smell that won't go away. If you really want the smell and goop off, use the trick we did in the Marines right before inspection. Stiff brush + bleach. Get in the nooks of your finger nails good as that is where the smells like to hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiV View Post
    We had a friend who was a dentist and he used listerine as a final rinse after you washed and rinsed with soap and hot water. The listerine also helped heal all the cuts and kinks.
    I use listerine as well.

When its really bad, I use vodka and a spoon.

Someone told me that using a spoon or any other metal works so Ive been doing it since without noticing a difference. I just chug the vodka. Maybe I should use some on my hands.

Ive tried a lot of thing actually. Sometimes Ill wash my hands with any type of soap but will not rinse it off. Ill leave it on until it dries onto my skin. Then rinse it off 20 minutes later.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

After 4 days of using stinky herring and catching hundreds of rockfish from shore I just dumped some of my gear into the sink with listerine, also washed my rain jacket with a mix of list/water- seemed to work fairly well

Default One more

Wash hands with soap and water, rinse with RealLemon juice.

Keep away from the dogs after that unless you like to be licked a lot....

Default Fish Smell

Lemon Joy dish wash liquid!

Default Baking Soda

Not for your hands. But for the sleeves of my favorite Patagonia poly shirt, which after 3 washings still stunk, a good overnight soak in baking soda and water. Now fresh as a daisy.

fresh lemons, cut them in half and use them with salt as a scrubby on your hands as you would for dishes.

Ditto, lemons here too or the reallemon works as well.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I have heard these work very well.

http://www.kitchencontraptions.com/archives/002924.php

Me, I don't care if my hands smell like fish!!!

Default On my boat

we all use Purell type hand sanitizer. If you have cuts, I usually do from dealing with the butts, you will swear like a sailor! Those teeth and gills can get you sometimes. Mainly just using herring all day and then dealing the fish we caught. Might be a slight hint of fish sometimes, only if you are really sniffing your hands to find the smell though. Works pretty good. Also keep joy soap on the boat, good for your hands and the windows-best defogger you can buy!

Fish leave a smell? Hmmm....maybe that's why my wife avoids me for a few days after each trip.

I rub pike slime all over like after shave, so I might not have the best ideas..... however, anis oil will cover any fish scent that I have encountered. Be careful washing your fishing gear; it kills the luck.

Default After shave?

Good Idea... I was hoping to market a new fish smell after shave, maybe in different scents IE; Sockeye, Pike, Chinook....

You could create a entire line of products TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Scope has surpassed any other typical hand cleaner/sanitizers for fixing those fishy fingers. Dual purpose also.....gargle...spit on hands....rinse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast