Thread: What would you pay?

Default What would you pay?

I thought I would get some other boater's opinions on what my boat might re-sell for after I repower it with twin diesels.

I currently have a 1986 Seasport Pilot 27' with twin gas 4-cyl. Boats like it are selling around $60K today. I only know of three of these boats with twin diesels. The unique thing about it is that it is trailerable without a permit, but it has twin I/O power.

The repower will be around $60 - $70K total. I have seen some newer and larger Seasports with twin diesels around the $110K - $130K range. I would probably like to sell my boat in 7-10 years and hope to get $90K - $100K in today's dollars.

What do you think? Would you seriously consider this tralerable 27' glass boat with twin diesels at around $90K?

I personally wouldn't buy an over 20 y/o boat with new engines for ~80% of what a new boat would cost.

In terms of $'s you'd probably be better off selling the current boat with the gas engines and buying a new boat w/ diesel power then sinking all that $ into the re-power.

Default I'll bid on it

Let's start at a ......

Buk Fity!

Sea sport does not make a 27 foot boat anymore. They do make several 26 foot models and all of them can be purchased with one diesel inboard. New cost for one of these boats would range from 160-175k I am estimating with a trailer.

But why pour 60-70k into a boat now and hope you can get 100K down the road? I bet you could sell it for approximately 60K the way the boats sits today. Unless you plan on putting several hundred hours on the boat each year for the next 6-7 years I would just keep it as is or sell it now and get what you really want.

Smile

Try talking to Boondocks the Sea Sport dealer in Washington, or go to their used boat site and look at what's out there. Twenty-year old boat is not going to fetch the big bucks, and add the words "repower" and your really emphassing the age. Money range also: Financing from a bank stops being available after something has past a certain age, so your buyer is going to have to be loaded. Thus, the question is why would someone who can spring out a 100k buy a really old boat? (Just a crazy theory from another Sea Sport owner.)

Great input...

My thing is that I like the boat, it's in great condition, and I like having twins, as the redundancy has taken me back to shore when one power plant goes down. It's far easier to navigate into the slip with the twins also, and they don't offer a twin diesel installation on the new Seasports.

Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll sleep on it some more. BTW, replacement costs for a boat like this in 7-8 years will likely be around $200K, so it might not be such a bad deal selling this twin diesel at that time for around half the cost of new.

Thanks for the opinions.