View Poll Results: We need to know how many will come to this match?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll be there with bells on.

7 35.00%
  • I plan on showing up through the mail. (I'm going Postal)

4 20.00%
  • I can't make it, but wish all a safe match.

9 45.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Outdoor Forum Fun Shoot

Default Alaska Outdoor Forum Fun Shoot

Come one, come all for a fun shoot at Birch wood shooting range. Time and date is range opening till every one that wants to shoot is done for the day. DATE, is the last Sunday in September (28th). Postal Match intranets welcome.

Targets from postal match participants must be into me with a postage date no later than September 28th. use this link for the address to mail to.
    http://www.wildwestguns.com/contact.html

This will be an informal shoot (hats and ties not needed)

The range will be a 100 yard event any rifle any sights. This will be a group shoot, five shots on target, three targets total. And unlimited sighters outside of your measured group.

No limit to what position or what rest used to shoot the group, you want to do the group from your hind legs, or off of a rest, (or anything in between) it's up to the shooter.

Cross firing on targets, means your targets will not be scored. All targets submitted must have your name clearly printed on the target and your screen user name. Results will be posted on this site as to who the winner is. Second to tenth place will be posted along with your three target agg.

We need to know how many want to come for the fun shoot?

All shooter that participate will be responsible for the equipment used and any range fees associated with the use of the range.

There will be a range safety officer in attendance at all times during the shoot. HIS WORD IS LAW. ANY violations of safety will cost your participation in the match to not count for record!

A sign in roster must be filled out prior to the match.

Children under 18 years will not be on or near the firing line without hearing protection.

Bring your own snacks, "no shooter that's has been drinking ALCOHOL with-in 24 hours of the event need apply."

We want everybody to pitch in to do their part to make this a safe and enjoyable event.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-08-2008 at 17:38.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

sounds like fun

1. What target?
    2. What time limit?
    3. Are we competing all together for top dog, offhanders against the benchresters or will we break out each category?
    4. Are re entries allowed or just a one shot (so to speak) deal?

Thanks for putting this together!

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    sounds like fun

1. What target?
    2. What time limit?
    3. Are we competing all together for top dog, offhanders against the benchresters or will we break out each category?
    4. Are re entries allowed or just a one shot (so to speak) deal?

Thanks for putting this together!
    You kinda of caught me their Allen.

1. As it's a match for group size the target does not matter, as long as it paper.

2. That's where you caught me out. Five minutes per target That is the number 5 minutes per target and five minutes per relay. Five shots per target.

3. Yes, it all for group size no different positions, all for one.

4. Not to drag this on, I think an alibi is allowed a re target.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

by re entries, I mean: do we shoot the course just one time, or can we come back and shoot it a couple of times or more...and turn in everything for score..

thanks!!

I'd love to make it, but I don't even know what I'm doing this weekend, so trying to plan out that far is a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'd love to make it, but I don't even know what I'm doing this weekend, so trying to plan out that far is a crap shoot.
    Paul H. It's a date you can mark on your calendar, if you find yourself with the time, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    by re entries, I mean: do we shoot the course just one time, or can we come back and shoot it a couple of times or more...and turn in everything for score..

thanks!!
    Why not? Lets remember we are shooting against postal entrants also. It would not be fair to not turn in three of your best targets. I think that would eliminate any chances for complant? So then it would be your three best targets, smallest groups. Seems fair all around to me. Remember these targets must be signed and turned in by the end of the match. Postal targets must be post marked no later than Monday the 29th. Post office being closed on Sunday the 28th.

Anyone have any objection to the rules please contact me by PM, and we will settle your complant.

Default Postal Rules?

For those going postal, what are the validation rules? Target need by signed by an RO or something to verify that it was actually shot at 100 yards, etc? Can RO be another shooter, etc...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    For those going postal, what are the validation rules? Target need by signed by an RO or something to verify that it was actually shot at 100 yards, etc? Can RO be another shooter, etc...
    They only need to be signed by the shooter. If it's that important for someone to cheat to win, oh well he knows what he is. We can not eliminate every possible way to cheat. I do not have a moving target backer system to eliminate another big source of cheating, so the honor system will apply.

Lets remember by having to have a signed by another shooter or RSO. We have members that live a long way from any kind of organized range. I want them to be a part of the match and attend the shoot through the mail.

The operative word here is fun!

I don't know any one that thinks cheating is fun. We just have to trust our fellow man on this one.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Nice simple rules, I like it! but I dont know what the "moving target backer" reference is for cheating? Never heard of that. No never mind anyway as I think most if not all the guys on this section of the forum are pretty like minded when it comes to fair chase and honerable behaviour.

I am really looking forward to placing in the top ten........... so perhaps you can limit the number of participants to 10!

I will check my calandar Tuesday and let you know if I can make it.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The reason for a moving backer, where rifles that are shoot from the bench are vary capable of making a five shot 100 yard group of one hole.

You have the chance of a competitor shooting one shot or two and the rest blanks. The world record is .009" with five holes in the moving backer. I've seen this framed group, it is vary round. hard to tell it's not just one hole. Remember that group size is measured by extreme spread minus the bullet diameter. In other words the difference in this case from .243 dia (bullet) and the extreme size of the group. The smallest group I ever shot in competition was a .062". A long way from a .009. That group was with a .224 dia bullet, five shot group at 100 yards.

I like the idea! Great thought BIG A. I unfortunately will be on my goat hunt on the weekend, but this could become a monthly thing?

Curt

Big Al,

What do we win? Everyone knows women are the best shot!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I just thought of something, this shoot sounds like it would be a good time but what about splitting it up between "hunting" and competition rifles. I wouldn't stand a chance with my 30.06 against my husbands competition 25.06. And maybe one more split for novice and expert?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I like the idea! Great thought BIG A. I unfortunately will be on my goat hunt on the weekend, but this could become a monthly thing?

Curt
    Go Postal! Nothing says your targets can't be fired prior to the 28th, in fact you would have to fire them before, if you want to get them in the mail prior to that date to beat the deadline. When you are sighting in before your hunt, do the three five shot groups, put them in the mail and go on your hunt. That way you will be in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I just thought of something, this shoot sounds like it would be a good time but what about splitting it up between "hunting" and competition rifles. I wouldn't stand a chance with my 30.06 against my husbands competition 25.06. And maybe one more split for novice and expert?
    What a great excuse for buying a new rifle. I know this would not work with my wife, but for a woman?

In answer to your first question of what you win? Bragging rights and the knowledge that the top 10 will be posted on your favorite forum.

OK, we'll give the postal thing a shot. This just brings out the competitive side of me. Hubby will love this! hahah

So whos really coming and we still on? I need to have other folks see how badly I can shoot (I sucked on Sunday so bad I just packed up and went home)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    So whos really coming and we still on? I need to have other folks see how badly I can shoot (I sucked on Sunday so bad I just packed up and went home)
    I've been wondering about all of the folks that have old bessy tuned in to shoot a half inch or better at 100 yards?

It ain't cold enough to be getting cold feet yet, is it?

I'd like to come, but no guarantees (house building and all....). I wonder if the range would put up a season pass as a prize?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast