Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help for the Kenai in Sept.

  1. #1

    Default Help for the Kenai in Sept.

    Hi all,

    My family and I would like to go down to the Kenai in September sometime to fish for silvers/rainbows/dollies. We live in Healy and have not really ever ventured down that way but have a lot of knowledge on the parks streams and some great spots in and around Talkeetna that we could trade for info on this trip.

    I am looking at what would be the best time to go in september in order to have a good chance of catching a silvers and resident species? Also as we have little to no familiarity with the area we would like any info on accessibility/camping options to the river.

    My ultimate goal would be to rent a raft for 2-4 days and spend a lot of time fishing and camping the river but I have no idea who to rent from or where to put in/take out. Or if this is even a feasible option.

    Also i'm assuming flesh/eggs will be the ticket at this time but any other advice on tackle/techniques would be greatly appreciated.

    Sorry to sound like such a newbie but we've just never had the opportunity to go down that way and want to be able to make the most out of it. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    In September you will find 90+% of the people are targeting trout. I fish the upper River quite a bit in September and it is rare that I hook into a silver. For the trout beads are what most people use. Matching the size and color can be a challenge at times. There are a couple places to put in. The first is at Kenai lake, and the second is "Sportsman's" or otherwise known as the Russian launch. Most people take out at Jim's landing. If you do not take out at Jim's you will go down through the canyon (where you should have a little experience before to do it for the first time alone). If you do float the canyon you will come out at Skilak lake where you will have a 6 mile long row (unless you have a small motor). This can be VERY TOUGH if the wind and/or weather is against you. Lot's of folks have had to wait out the weather before rowing to the take out on Skilak. Be very cautious of Skilak. It can be mean. Hope this helps.

  3. #3

    Default

    I noticed your comment about upper Kenai silvers in Sept. Do you think lower Kenai fishing in Sept (for second-run silvers) is also much more hit and miss as compared to fishing for first-run silvers in late July and August? I'm only asking because I'm planning on fishing the Kenai in Sept this year but in the past I've only fished it in August. I like the fact second run fish are larger and the crowds much lighter but I'd hate to get there and the silvers be few and far between. (I plan on fishing the Soldotna area from roughly Sept. 8-12).

    Seems like around 2/3 of people have a favorable opinion of fishing for Kenai silvers in Sept and 1/3 seem to indicate it's usually not so great (as compared to late July and August). Anyway, just wanted to see what you think about the lower Kenai for the time period I plan to fish it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tom

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    In September you will find 90+% of the people are targeting trout. I fish the upper River quite a bit in September and it is rare that I hook into a silver. For the trout beads are what most people use. Matching the size and color can be a challenge at times. There are a couple places to put in. The first is at Kenai lake, and the second is "Sportsman's" or otherwise known as the Russian launch. Most people take out at Jim's landing. If you do not take out at Jim's you will go down through the canyon (where you should have a little experience before to do it for the first time alone). If you do float the canyon you will come out at Skilak lake where you will have a 6 mile long row (unless you have a small motor). This can be VERY TOUGH if the wind and/or weather is against you. Lot's of folks have had to wait out the weather before rowing to the take out on Skilak. Be very cautious of Skilak. It can be mean. Hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    pm sent check your messages
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default Ssshhhh...

    Dont tell anyone. September fishing for Silvers is outsanding. The locals are out hunting and the tourons (sorry) are mostly gone. Quiet river, lots of fish. Do both. Enjoy!

  6. #6
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    The locals are out hunting and the tourons (sorry) are mostly gone.

    Not all of us tourons are gone.
    Some of us don't like all them dang tourists around when we're trying to fish!!
    I spend the whole month of September chasing chrome on the KP!!!
    There are still too many locals around though...............don't they know it's huntin' season!!!

    If you're in the area of Cooper Landing during between Septer 2nd and 27th drop by Cooper Creek campground site #20 for a beverage and some BSing!!

    See ya on the creek bank!!

  7. #7

    Default centennial campground

    I was thinking of taking my 4-year old daughter on a primarily camping, but also fishing excursion the weekend of Sept. 20/21. I'm considering Centennial Campground because I'd heard it had decent shore access and chances of getting a silver or two. Anybody have an opinion on this or suggestions to alternative sites? I really just want to do the overnight-in-a-tent thing with her, as she's not done that yet, but figure a couple extra salmon in the smoker can never hurt.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks for the input, Go Fish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Dont tell anyone. September fishing for Silvers is outsanding. The locals are out hunting and the tourons (sorry) are mostly gone. Quiet river, lots of fish. Do both. Enjoy!

  9. #9
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default a little off topic - but...

    Are there any float options (1 man cats) for the lower kenai? Where can you put in take out at?

    I have never been in the canyon and don't really want to try it in a 1 man cat - I don't have a lot of experience.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •