View Poll Results: Best way to Freeze you Fish?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vacuum Sael (Like Food Saver)

77 89.53%
  • Baggie full of Water

2 2.33%
  • Plastic Wrap/Waxpaper

0 0%
  • Other

7 8.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to freeze your catch

Question Best way to freeze your catch

OK, let's hear it. How do you freeze your fish, what's going to keep it free of freezer-burn the longest.

Vacuum Sealer (like Food Saver)

Baggie full of Water

Plastic Wrap/Waxpaper

Other;

after 35+ years here of freezing fish by far for us anyway the vacuum pack(food saver) has worked the best for us.

Default Mixture.

The process I have takes a long time...but I have saved so many fillets doing it this way.

After the fish is cleaned and ready to be put in the freezer I wrap it in plastic wrap pressing the plastic right against the meat.

I then put the fillets in the freezer to "freeze" the juices into the meat...usually one day does it on 30-60 fillets. This aids in getting a good seal when using the vacuum sealer.

I take them back out, and throw them in the vacuum sealer.

Many times if the seal breaks, the plastic wrap saves the meat from getting freezer burn.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Plastic wrap then vacuum seal.

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Ditto . . . .

Definitely.....

Vacuum pack is certainly the best and very handy,but Ive been freezing my reds in the round and glazing 2x for several yrs now,I wrap in sealable plastic and old fashioned freezer paper.It cost me time to be sure,but my expenses are minimal compared to buying another vaccum machine,and the bags.Id much rather spend time handling the fish multiple times,rather than buy/wash more bags.
    If I were going to buy another machine ,Id step up from the homeowner foodsaver type,pumps just arent bombproof enough for me.
    When I fillet as needed,all scraps go back into the freezer till I have enough for a batch to boil down into dog food,gauranteed to get your dogs attn @ grub time.
    Its also important not to overload your freezing capacity either,I have a standup freezer that I crank down for intitial freezing duty.It has coils on three racks and an overhead,more coils the better.I try not to freeze anymore than 20-30 lbs of pre-chilled spaced out fish at anytime.
    The quicker your freeze time the better your overall quality and shelf life.
    Tossing huge quantities of warm fish into your chest freezer is a invitation to a pile of lesser quality fish.
    Freezing I think is one thing thats taken for granted by a great many

ak4195

Growing up, my family froze our fish in a baggy full of water. We didn't have a vac sealer, but I don't remember losing any fish to freezer burn. It was a PITA, that I do remember! I have a Foodsaver now and a friend has one of those $1500 sealers I get to use now and again. I've expirenced bag failure and freezer burn with both machines. I've been thinking of trying a glaze and/or plastic wrap like AkArcher said.

I notice that no one has mentioned freezing salmon steaks. I know that the bones in the steaks pop the vaccum bags, but butcher paper should prevent this. I find that there is less wasted salmon for me and my family when I steak, smaller steaks for the kids, and so on. We filleted all our fish one year to discover this Are we the only ones steaking our fish?

It seems that the key to keeping the fish from going bad is to keep air away from it when you store it.

My Dad had a neat trick to keep from overloading?overwhelming? our freezer. We'd freeze water in milk jugs starting in the spring, by fishing time we'd have a bunch of them in there. My Dad said that the ice would keep the freezer cold without it having to work harder.

Default oh ya

I used to catch a pile of brookie trout on Flat Willow creek in middle montana when I was in high school. We froze them in 1/2 gallon paper milk jugs....not a PITA at all - drop em in till she's full - top with H2O and freeze it. ZERO freezer burn...

Now - where can I gitz me sum 5 gallon paper milk cartons for my kings and silvers and butts????????????

Hmm, smoked salmon steak...wheels are turnin.

one more for ,,Plastic wrap then vacuum seal.

Any seafood you want to vacumn seal (foodsaver or whatever) - first place the contents - shrimp tails, halibut, salmon fillets w/ bones, etc - in a heavy duty Ziploc type bag and face the open end of that bag towards the BACK of the vacumn seal bag you will be sealing. When you do the vacumn seal on the outer bag, you will have not punctured the envelope of that bag and the Ziploc bag will have prevented the juices of your catch from interfering with the sealing of your vacumn seal bag as long as your original meat is not too wet. Hope this helps .

Default Chamber vacuum sealer

A chamber machine. A bit expensive, but way more effective and faster than a suction machine. Bags are way cheaper too. Water is not an issue. Using a funnel to put the fish into the bag keeps the sealing area dry.

Default Dittos

Chamber sealer also. With the amount of meat we process along with our friends my wife let me buy one last year with some of my overtime dollars. Pretty nice when I come home with 120 pounds of halibut from 2 days of fishing.

Thumbs up wow

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Any seafood you want to vacumn seal (foodsaver or whatever) - first place the contents - shrimp tails, halibut, salmon fillets w/ bones, etc - in a heavy duty Ziploc type bag and face the open end of that bag towards the BACK of the vacumn seal bag you will be sealing. When you do the vacumn seal on the outer bag, you will have not punctured the envelope of that bag and the Ziploc bag will have prevented the juices of your catch from interfering with the sealing of your vacumn seal bag as long as your original meat is not too wet. Hope this helps .
    That is interesting...hadn't heard that one before. Gonna have to try it! thx..

Thanks to everyone thats responded so far and to those that have voted.. keep going, this is great!

Gary

Default Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    A chamber machine. A bit expensive, but way more effective and faster than a suction machine. Bags are way cheaper too. Water is not an issue. Using a funnel to put the fish into the bag keeps the sealing area dry.

Looking at Chamber Vacuum Sealers they range from $400 to OMG $7000. Which one do you use?
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Originally Posted by bushboy

Thanks for the great tip! I like to fillet the fish I smoke but also like to steak some out also. This should work!

Eel

If you put a paper towel square folded up at the 'front' of your fish it will absorb the moisture/liquid from the fish and give you a better seal.

Default Thanks for all the responses...but

I know there are many more fishermen out there with some opinions. Don't hold back, take the poll and share the wealth of fishing information that you hold... We all gain from your knowledge..

Thanks
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by TroutsMan View Post
    Looking at Chamber Vacuum Sealers they range from $400 to OMG $7000. Which one do you use?
    Ditto on the Chamber Vacuum, I use the Minipack MP-MV31 from Alaska Butcher Supply. Great machine. I pay $60 for 1000 quart size bags.

Thumbs up Thanks to all who took the poll

Results show significant edge in Vacuum sealing over other methods. Now everyone go out and buy a FoodSaver.

signed, yours truly

Fusad Savver, CEO Vacuum Technologies Inc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast