Thread: sheep hunting

Smile sheep hunting

Can one of you smart guys that know 3 times as much as me, please give me the readers digest version of aiming low/ shoot low, aiming high/ shoot low. I'm an avid hunter who mostly hunts moose, caribou, bear and such which normally is a straight flat give or take trajectory. I understand the concept of shooting low in both cases, just need a little bit of advice as I do not want to make a stupid mistake. I will be shooting a 270 with 130gr. She's on at 100 with a drop of 7" at 300. Without getting in to too much algorithms and such, I figure I will aim approx a couple inches above his belly. Aiming low I will do the same. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank-you.

The advice I will give you is sight your rifle to be dead on at a min. of 200 yards. I took a 168" bighorn in Hells Canyon and the angle was so steep that the 400 yard shot allowed me to hold dead on. If I had a 100 yard zero I would have had to hold a touch High which I hate doing. It is never a good thing when your shooting and the crosshairs are not on the animal.

PS, I was shooting a .270 with 130 partitions.

Default if you have money...

You could get one of the new rangefinders that do the algorithms for you. They just spit out the range you should aim for, then you line your scope up accordingly.

If you don't want to pack a rangefinder, and you're not really really good at estimating range, you should limit your shots to closer range anyway (200-250 yards max). In which case the difference between level shooting and up/down shooting should be minimal.

Also check the archives, this was recently discussed at some length.

I am not the gun nut that some of the folks are on here but I did some research on my rifles trajectory based chuck hawks published info (like him or not I don't own a chrono...), I sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds which should give me a MPBR of ~305 yards with 130grn bullets. There is plenty of math that could move this around a little bit but in minutes of sheep I think it is a pretty accurate estimate. So for me out to 300 I am going to hold dead on and try and keep my heart from shaking the muzzle all over the place.

LuJon has it right IMHO... sight in for 225 to 250...or a 3" high at 100 and you will be close enough at 300. For any shot that range finds for less than 300, regardless of the angle, hold dead on and shoot.