Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Derby

Default Seward Derby

I will be there this weekend and next, who else is going?
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I'll be there most of the week . . watch for the "Illini Orange" Hewescraft . . . . Talk to you on the water maybe.

Sierra Hotel

I`ll be there tonight.

Default Heading Over

Heading over that way early in the morning in 17' SeaRunner (Sea Guppy). Is there any problem with parking after launching? I usually try NOT to go on the weekend, but......................Have to go. Tides, weather, seas forecasts look pretty good. Hope the fish pay attention to that.

Default Silvers in the Freezer

Gotta get get stocked up for the winter. The family and I will be there Monday afternoon through Saturday evening. I need to get some time on the water. I've been working way to hard this year. Lookin forward to meeting some of you folks. Look for the North River with two labradors.

I'm heading out early in the morning also. 18' Harbercraft with 50 hp Honda. If the water is decent we're headed out past Pony Cove so no derby for us this weekend.

That was a good question that Sterlingmike had. Since it's the first day of the derby, how tough will it be to find a place to park early tomorrow morning?

I love that you misspelled "universities"

I will be there 16 and 17....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I will be there the 16th and 17th also.

Bookseller. You can fish the derby outside of the bay also. I believe they opened it up last year. I would hate to nail a money winner without a derby ticket.

Default here now

im here now will be here most of the weak posted in open seat forum if ne one wans to hunt I have a ok SS set up for silver hunting must be the reason it is called a coho stop by grill will be going

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Default B 16

oh im in b16 let me know how many burgers and brats to put on

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Default One day trip

Found ample parking at the NE launch area. First time I've used it. Cheaper parking, too. Today, Saturday, was a great morning and early afternoon. Unfortunately, the Silvers didn't cooperate with us. From some of the comments on the radio, It sounds like they were pretty scattered. At the south end of Fox we counted 60 other boats. Fish caught now and then, but not hot. We didn't board a silver. One pink, two chickens. Guess we'll have to come back next week. Hope to make it Thursday and miss some of the crowd..................................

Hope you all had better luck and boated a lot of them. See you there later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Red View Post
    I love that you misspelled "universities"
    LOL, I guess I need to pay closer attention when I copy/paste from emails.

It was a great day on the water but a bad day of fishing.

Chickens - 2
    Salmon - 0
    Ling - 0

We talked to a couple of others and it seemed to be the same story all over. We didn't see one boat with more than 2 and several with 1 or none.

My wife took the boat to Seward yesterday ( sat.) and did fair. 3 silvers, 1 pink, 4 chickens, 3 people on board.

Default Great Water

Saturday: 2 silvers, too many PINKS. Radio chatter told us no one ways doing much better. Sunday: Great water again - went out of the Bay got our limit on silvers in 45 minutes! then limit on Hbutt. Long run to do it though.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default saturday

fishing was a bit slow but i managed 8 silvers 2 kings several pinks a cod and several herring. not to bad for fishing 1 rod. seemed i would catch a couple then have to move elsewhere to find anymore. fished with the fleet between fox and hive. the people who caught the most fish inside the old derby boundaries were at the head of the bay out to caines head. if you really want to find a derby winner there is no reason to go south of lowell point. not my favorite place to fish either but that is where most of the derby winners a caught.

Did ok at pony today what an sunny nice day on the water I even got a sunburn limited on silvers but nothing huge. When I got in to derby HQ a guy from palmer was weighing in a 18.57 fatty silver

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

We didn`t do too hot on silvers but nailed quite a few rockfish...

Silvers-3 (2 were 15 lbs.)
    Pinks-5
    Yellow Eye-7 (5 over 10 lbs.)
    Black Rockfish-18 (15 over 8 lbs.)
    Ling-2
    China Rockfish-2
    Quillbacks-4 (2 over 3lbs.)

Dropped a cylinder in the inboard and limped for about 16 miles but the rockfishing was crazy once we found em. I`ve never tangled with sooo many large rockfish at one time!

Will post a pic or two after I check the card.

Default Non-Pelagic Rockfish harvest limit for AK2AZ

Just a note of caution on the rockfish harvest.

Check out the regs on page 57 for all waters around res. Bay out 3 miles (Gore Point to Cape Puget).

Only 1 non-pelagic rockfish per person per day. This includes any yelloweye, china, quillback, tiger, copper or sivlergrey rockfish (page 11).

So, unless you had 13 people on your boat you kept too many non-pelagic rockfish. May not want to post a photo of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast