Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat Trophies

Default Goat Trophies

Have my first goat hunt this year, and am trying to get a handle on how I want to finish any trophy I may be fortunate enough to take.

How did y'all do your trophy, and how happy have you been with it? Life-size, half-life, shoulder, skin/rug? Were you surprised by the amount of room it took to accomodate your decision?

Thanks,

Chris

I had mine done as a shoulder mount. They went a little behind the shoulder so the "hump" would show and since I caped it all the way down to the rump. I like it alot, sorry the pics arent the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

I'm going to rug mine if I am successful this year. I just like the look.

I have a full body mount in my house that looks great, my wife even likes it. I thing to get the full benefit of the great hair they have a full body mount or a rug is the way to go.

My goat mount is very similar to tjkanaval's--a "sneek" form with the hump showing. I took out the whole hide, had it tanned and kept the lower half. I use it for a chair cushoin on camping trips.

My next goat will be a full body.

more room and $$$ you have elevate the trophy. goat trophy is the hair, horns are not that impressive. so lifesize would be my choice except i do not have room to display a lifesize the way i would like. mine is as a rug and if i get one with my bow this year it will be a rug most likely. Ther is apicture of mine in my hunting album here. i would not do a shoulder mount for my taste too much is lost. important to decide before your hunt because how you cape it will differ. rugs don't take up much room. a friend i took hunting years ago did not want a rug he got a massive billy,8-1/2 y.o. , i would not let him cape it for shoulder mount. would be at least for 1/2 LS .then he went and looked a various mounts. he was very thankful. he does not have large house but his 1/2 LS looks great above stair. i would be suprised if he does not chime in here.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default I have Pictures

I have pitctures on my website feel free to check it out. Or you can stop by and look at it (if you are in Fairbank area). And feel free to give me a call if you need more info.

Signature below contains website

Tucker
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Here is a goat I killed in Montana back in 2000. I have my 2007 Kodiak goat at the taxidermist right now and am leaning towards a 1/2 mount. I am hoping I can get some good ideas from this thread. Just happen to have another Montana goat tag in my pocket right now, so hopefully I will have a herd in my house soon.

i had a full body mount on my 2007 alaska goat,it was a very big body and the hair was perfect for what i was looking for.this was a once in a lifetime hunt for me so i had him mounted this way so when i walk into my house or just here on the computer i can look at him and it takes me back to alaska everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    a friend i took hunting years ago did not want a rug he got a massive billy,8-1/2 y.o. , i would not let him cape it for shoulder mount. would be at least for 1/2 LS .then he went and looked a various mounts. he was very thankful. he does not have large house but his 1/2 LS looks great above stair. i would be surprised if he does not chime in here.
    Who me??? See attached photo, I absolutely love it everyday! Thanks Ak Nimrod.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1218245333
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default DIY Tanning

I am going for a goat in September. If he has a nice hide, I am going to undertake a Do-It-Yourself tanning operation. (Please no comments about how difficult it is or how dumb I am to try such a thing - heard it already - thanks in advance for your thoughts.) If he has a really nice hide, I am going to have the pros tan it...

Good luck on the hunts boys and girls. Just around the corner!!!!!!!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

tanned the hide and threw it over a chair, did the skull with beetles.
    if my wife gets one this weekend we will likely do the same.
    made burger and stew with the rest... very, very good!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Goat mount

I was fortunate enough to score a nice billy on Kodiak last fall. I made a bad decision at the time though. We caped him out and decided due to distance to hike, time of day(late evening) and the amount of weight over terrain that I would do a shoulder mount. We ended up short caping him. NOT GOOD. It makes me sick to think of that beautiful hyde laying on the rocks as we walked away. I should have loaded the pack with meat and stashed the hyde and returned for it the next day. It is almost like the one that got away. If anyone has any extra hair/hyde I could obtain I would appreciate it. Don't make the mistake I made and not leave yourself enough hair to do a quality mount. Next time will be a rug mount!!! If anyone has any hyde to share PM me and I will pay, help or trade to get what is needed to do my mount properly. Thanks, Kat.

Default Life size this time

If I'm lucky enough to score on a second goat this October, I'm going full body. The first goat I had made into a shoulder mount. The full body seems the way to go if you have the room.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by docdb View Post
    If I'm lucky enough to score on a second goat this October, I'm going full body. The first goat I had made into a shoulder mount. The full body seems the way to go if you have the room.
    Don
    Full Body if you have the room.
    1/2 life if you don't.
    Rug as the only alternative.
    IMHO, shoulder mounts have no gravity, they suck...Thank you again Ak Nimrod for REFUSING to allow me to make that mistake when we were at 4,000 foot of elevation, soaked to the bone, dead tired, and in need of a good meal, plus I was on the verge of hypothermia from bad cloths, you made the *Right* decision!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks to all for your inputs, and especially the photos. You all echo the exact reason I asked - I want to know in advance how I will skin it, should I take one. Fortunately, I'll be hunting with the manager at Knight's Taxidermy, so I think the cuts will be good. Fingers crossed! Even my new bride is game for a life-size mount!

Chris

So,what's the going rate for a full body vs. 1/2 body vs. rug?

Default My prices

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    So,what's the going rate for a full body vs. 1/2 body vs. rug?
    Hi AK Doug,
    My prices are as follows: shoulder mount is $775, 1/2 body with basic habitat is $1100, and a full body mount with a basic habitat is $3225, a rug is $1175. When I did my research on revamping my prices this year, I was about middle ground compared to competition.

Good Luck, Happy Hunting,
    Tracy
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Here is the picture from my Album this was a small Billy 18 month old
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Tracy- Thanks for the response. Since the half-body is as close in price as it is to a rug I will definately consider it. My only issue is how I make my cuts. I know how to cape for a shoulder mount and skin for a rug. What is the procedure for a half mount? BTW..how much salt should we take? I've always gotten my stuff back home fast enough to not need salt, but this trip is going to require it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast