Thread: Looking for some information on Hunting Jims Creek

Default Looking for some information on Hunting Jims Creek

I pcsed here to elmendor in march and was wondering if you could hunt jims creek. on sept 1

Quote Originally Posted by Duckaholic View Post
    I pcsed here to elmendor in march and was wondering if you could hunt jims creek. on sept 1
    Nonresident small game licenses $20.00 fed stamp $15.00 state $5.00 then. You have to talk to someone here that hunts it. Too many fish-egg eating ducks for me. Yes even the mallards. Maybe not opening but not long after. I like my duck to taste like duck. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Too many fish-egg eating ducks for me. Yes even the mallards.
    I was warned of this years ago by a guy that used to hunt the area before there was much of a road, just the old Rippey Trail. After several years I have yet to take a "fish egg" puddle duck. Even the blue bills have not had eggs in them. My Jim Lake ducks taste just like my Flats ducks. Of course none of them have tasted like my California ducks from my once in a lifetime trip in January.

Every day out there we see huge flocks of ducks that roost further up the valley and then fly over us out to the flats so any duck that you take on the flats is more than likely also spending time up the Knik. And if they want to they are eating fish eggs if they can find a spawning area. Most the spawning outside of Jim Lake is taking place in the streams on the hillsides so there is minimal likelyhood that ducks are getting up there to feed on eggs. I do think it happens just not as often as some folks claim it to be.

Now on to the more serious question about hunting Jim Creek. People actually do not hunt the creek itself, but hunt the many lakes that it drains. You access the various swamps from off of Maud Road from the Old Glenn Hwy in The Butte area of Palmer.

Opening day is quite the mad house at the one boat launch into Mud Lake where most folks access the upper end of Jim Creek (actually McRoberts creek at this point) From Mud Lake you can go to Gull lake or down McRoberts and into Jim Creek then up Jim to Swan or Leaf Lakes. If you have a mud motor you can get way on back into the swamps beyond Leaf Lake.

The actual Jim Lake is at the very end of Maud Road where the Rippey Trail starts. This is pretty much a canoe only lake since there is no launch on the shore, but it is pretty small and the spots to hunt from the shore are minimal. However, it can be a refuge spot for birds that are pushed out of the larger bodies of water. Most of the time the birds that are pushed out of the larger bodies of water just go out to the flats taking their egg filled gizzards with them.

If you have noticed I mention a lot of traveling on the water. There is not much shore hunting around this area and most of us use boats. There are folks that access some small spots off the Knik using ATVs, but I don't know much about that.

Duckaholic, you mentioned that you pcsed up here, are you civilian or military? Most of the military guys I have met do no use that term.

I am in the military. Thanks for your information. I guess I'll have to find another spot to hunt i thought i could find one i could access with my 4 wheeler. Thanks for your help good luck this season

Take your 4 wheeler to cottonwood flats Parks Highway to Wasilla Wasilla to Knik Goose Bay road go 4 miles to Fairview Loop take it to the 90 degree left use to be now I think its a 4 way go strait follow the signs Happy Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckaholic View Post
    I guess I'll have to find another spot to hunt i thought i could find one i could access with my 4 wheeler.
    Did you read this part of my post?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    There are folks that access some small spots off the Knik using ATVs, but I don't know much about that.
    Now I am not going to draw a map for you using Google Earth, but an afternoon of exploring the Knik on either side of the mouth of Jim Creek will provide you with lots of information for where to access Gull and Swan Lakes along with several smaller lakes along the Knik.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Most the spawning outside of Jim Lake is taking place in the streams on the hillsides so there is minimal likelyhood that ducks are getting up there to feed on eggs.
    Maybe the silvers spawn in the creeks. But the reds spawn in the lakes. And for ducks flying out to the flats from the jim lake area. I don't see it. Just to much safe water between the two places.