Thread: Dog Tattooing

Default Dog Tattooing

Seeing the micro chip thread i have also been meaning to ask you guys if anyone knows of someone who will tattoo my dog around anchorage?? I would like to get his ear or thigh tattooed here soon. thanks if anyone knows!
    Steve

Hi Steve,

They have pretty much phased out tatooing, its still available but I couldn't tell you where. I do know they no longer do it on the ear because the ear can be removed if he/she was ever stolen. (I know sick).....But it has happened. We bought our girl in Canada and she came with one on her inner thigh. Which I thought was great but I also micro chipped her.....Tattoos really do nothing unless you know where to trace them back to or who its registered with...
    Not to mention, they do fade....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Smile

Yes, all that is very true about tattoos but, there are three different manufaactures of the micro chip, and if someone steals your dog, and they swear its their dog, they do not have to let you get the dog scanned unless you were to press charges or sue them. Also what happened to my mom was her dog was lost, and scanned by the local vet, who did not have the right scanner. the vet didnt have a universal scanner, and when they do i understand all it does is give them a series of numbers that they still have to call all three manufactures to figure out what kind of chip is in the dog. With the tattoo i can have pictures of it, just in case, i really want to make sure no one get my pup
    Steve

Default hard to find

I had one of the people that worked for me do it and it wasn't cheap. Alot of artist won't do it because they feel that it's beneath them and if you find a vet I guarantee they will screw it up. The other thing is that you will have to knock the dog out with travel pills to get them managable to hold them still enough. Most people will tattoo their AKC number on the inside of the leg.

Hi Steve,

The Fairbanks pound used to do them.
    Actually most everyone has the universal scanner now, even the dog clubs (cook inlet, AK kennel club etc). It comes up with who its registered with , it tells them its avid or home again. As long as the chip is a 125khz the universal scanner can read it. You can even get your own scanner now, for $100 the last time I looked.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

For our rabbits, we use the EZ Tat......

http://bunnyrabbit.com/price/tatoo.htm