Thread: Hot & Low Alt vs Cold and High

Default Hot & Low Alt vs Cold and High

Just wondering what some of you have experienced with changes in elevation and temp. Unfortunately I'm sighting in at 95 degrees and 50 ft elevation and traveling to 1000 to 1500ft in elev. and I would imagine the temps should be in the mid 30's to mid 40's. Yes I do plan on making it to the range when I get to Anchorage but I was just wondering what you have experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering what some of you have experienced with changes in elevation and temp. Unfortunately I'm sighting in at 95 degrees and 50 ft elevation and traveling to 1000 to 1500ft in elev. and I would imagine the temps should be in the mid 30's to mid 40's. Yes I do plan on making it to the range when I get to Anchorage but I was just wondering what you have experienced.
    I've read more than I've experienced, but my experiences line up with what I've read so I tend to believe it. The biggest worry is in developing max loads in cool weather such as spring in Alaska, then hying off to a really hot place like Africa. Murphy should pipe up because I'm sure he has personal experience with that great continent. But based on going from warmer to cooler climate myself, no probs. Also not probs with altitude changes of at least 6000 feet. I've read references about changes in trajectory when you get lots higher- like over 10,000 feet- but I have no direct experience.

In your case I'd bet it's a non-issue. I regularly sight in at sea level and 60-70 degrees, then climb to 1500-2000 feet and near freezing without the slightest effect.

For the temps and altitudes you quote I would not expect a sig impact on accuracy, esp if using some of Hodgdon's Extreme Powders that claim relative temperature insensitivity.

It will be virtually unoticeable. Definately want to recheck your zero upon landing. Ae you bringing backup rifle too?
    The more important thing is knowing where you rifle puts the first shot from a cold barrel. I will sight in a rifle, then clean it and put a fouling shot down it. And put it away after I run a dry patch throught it the week before the hunt.
    Best of luck on your hunt.

Unless you're shooting really long ranges the differences you're talking about would not add up to anything significant. The ave .06 bullet will have about a 1" difference in drop @ 500 yds between sea level and 2000'.

However...depending on what powder you're using, significant changes in temp might possibly result in different burn rates, different pressures, different velocities and different POI. Some powders might deliver up to 2/sec per degree of abient temp change. Load development and sight in @ 80 deg and hunting @ 20 deg could change your velocity over 100 fps, and pressure and POI.

Hodgdon Extreme powders are temp stable.