Thread: pentax

Default pentax

where is the cheapest place in town or by ordering to get the Pentax PF-65ED II with the zoom eyepieceand straight instead of angled??

Call doug at camera land. Click the add at the top of this page to see the pricing but Doug has a habbit of making the pot sweeter for forum members.
    His contact info is

Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Default amazon

i found the same spotting scope on amazon .com for only 649.00 it was the straight body model with the zoom eyepiece included is there anything different form the scope on cameraland

I would highly suggest you contact Cameraland the difference is if you let them know that Amazon has the straight body with the eye piece for $630 I have no doubt that they will take care of you!

Default Boondock

Boondock, in Eagle River, might be worth a call. They gave me a good deal early this year on that angled spotter.

CameraLand's prices are great, but give Boondock a call and compare - with shipping and all, maybe they could change your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Boondock, in Eagle River, might be worth a call. They gave me a good deal early this year on that angled spotter.

CameraLand's prices are great, but give Boondock a call and compare - with shipping and all, maybe they could change your plans.
    I the same setup as you there as well durring the Sportsmans Show. Very good people to work with at Boonies!

Before you dive in and get the scope, realize that Pentax has a large number of eyepieces available for that scope. Zoom eyepieces include the XF-zoom and the XW-zoom. The xf zoom is generally regarded as being somewhat unfriendly to use, having short eye relief and a small field of view. The XW-zoom eyepiece is world-class, but is the size of a pop can (seriously).

Pentax has two lines of fixed-power eyepieces as well - the XF series and the XW series. The XF eyepieces are small and light, but don't give near as good a view as the XW. The XW eyepieces are large - about the size of half of a pop can (or one of those stubby 8-oz pop cans).

The XW-fixed eyepieces are world class equipment according to the Astronomy crowd. I have the PF65EDa with the XW-14 eyepiece, and this gives a fixed 28x. The view is insanely wide and crisp, but only 28x. The XW-10 eyepiece would give 38x, and that might be a bit better for sheep and such.

The 65mm lens reaches maximum resolution at 30-35x. Anything more than that just makes the picture bigger. This is true for ALL scopes. Kind of like blowing up a photograph which was taken with a low-megapixel camera.

Good info on the eyepeices Vek, I would take it a bit farther and say that there are also some amazing eyepieces available from other manufacturers. Due to the Penatax body accepting any standard sized eyepiece your options are extensive, this is one thing that makes them unique in the spotting scope world.

Good point, LuJon. I don't know any more than to say there are a ton of eyepiece options out there for that scope, but only a few of which will rival the pentax XW-series. But they are certainly out there.

Snyd has gone through this recently, and ended up with another brand of variable eyepiece. It's worth a search in this forum to see what he's got.

Default Great setup

I bought the same setup with the Pentax scope and the Xw-14 eyepiece. It is incredibly clear.
    I have a lightweight tripod setup to use in the field but also bought a sturdier used bogen tripod to use at home and out of the car, when weight is not an issue. It is a bogen professional 3046 tripod with a 3063 head. They are fairly easy to find on ebay; I paid just over $100 bucks for it. It is extremely solid and easy to use but much too heavy to carry very far. It is great to leave setup for spotting out of the house.
    Doug is very easy to work with and very fair on pricing.
    DrB

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Snyd has gone through this recently, and ended up with another brand of variable eyepiece. It's worth a search in this forum to see what he's got.
    Yup, I have had both the XF 8.5 (46x) and the XW 14 (28x). Both are excellent eyepieces. After carrying both on a sheep hunt last year I decided I wanted the convenience of a zoom but the XF zoom does not have enough eye relief for me. I then bought the wide angle William Optics Zoom II http://www.williamoptics.com/eyepiec...2_features.php and compared all three eyepieces side by side. Long and short of it is that I sold the XF and XW and now have a 17-52x wide angle zoom on the Pentax. The WO zoom at 52x definitely shows more detail than the XF at 46x and is very bright. I compared the WO Zoom and the XF Zoom side by side a few days ago sheep hunting it has more eye relief than the XF Zoom and to me is also brighter. It also has a larger field of view. Both on EDA II scopes. Also, the WO zoom only weighs 10 ozs. Much lighter than the XW and XF combo. I think the Pentax and the WO zoom is a great combo. You need to do this mod though to get full focus, I took pics and describe it. It's not a hack job to the scope or eyepiece.

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneid...toAlbum13.html

Here is something I posted on the birdforums last winter when I got the eyepiece:

I spent some time with it today and found that even though the xw14 is a little brighter this zoom is definitely bright. I did not feel at all that is was dim in any way. It is also neck and neck with the xf as far as brightness at higher power. Plus the zoom goes to 52x where as the xf is 46x. It made a difference today. I was looking at a sign about a mile away. There was lettering that I could not read with the xf at 46x but I could read it with the zoom at 52x and it was sharp. The extra power made a difference. I checked and rechecked a few times. I could not read the lettering with the xw 14 or the zoom at any lower power. 52x did it.

This zoom is clear and sharp all the way up to 7.5. The fov at 7.5 is so close to the same as the xf a 8.5 that I call them equal. In other words at 52x I can see as much as I can with the xf at 46x. The zoom must have a wider fov than 60. Must be 66 instead of 42 at 7.5. Maybe the WO rep that told me it was 42 at 7.5 was mistaken. Obviously it has much less fov than the XW 14 which is 70. But, for me that's ok. I have to say that for my eyes it's as sharp as my pentaxes. I think the xw has more contrast or something though. The view with the xw14 really is nice. But, with the zoom at higher power I can see more details.

One other thing I noticed. After comparing today I noticed that when using the xw it is easy for me to move slightly and get kidney beaning because of the wide fov and/or er. I have to be carefull or I loose the image. I have never really tought of it much until today. But, I found that with the zoom it did not happen.

I didn't really find anything wrong with the views with this eyepiece.

Bottom line is that if you replace the plastic compression insert so the eyepiece drops in a little further so you get full focus I say this is a keeper. I could see using my PF 65 EDA II with only this eyepiece for hunting and general viewing and it would work great. It gives bright clear views and is capable of showing more detail at 52x than the xf at 46x at long distances.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Pf-65ed

Snyd,
    Is the mod. needed for the WO eyepiece on the PF-65ED spotter also?
    Is the WO eyepiece waterproof?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cutty View Post
    Snyd,
    Is the mod. needed for the WO eyepiece on the PF-65ED spotter also?
    Is the WO eyepiece waterproof?
    Thanks!
    Yes, the mod is needed for any Pentax scope. The zoom just needs to drop in the scope body another 8th of an inch or so in order to reach full focus at infinity.

WO does not say it's waterproof, that would require another piece of glass in the eyepiece barrel. But, it is a sealed eyepiece like any other astro eyepiece. I have run mine under the faucet with no problem. I did not however run water into the eyepiece barrel. But then again the eyepiece is always on the scope and it is a pretty darn tight fit. I don't think it will be a problem unless I actually submerged the scope scope for awhile. And I mean like letting it sit in water for a time. On this last hunt I had the scope in temps from below freezing up to 60+ with humidity and had no problems with fogging or condensation in the eyepiece. I'm not worried about using it in rain. I just can't see a few rain drops causing a problem.

It's the same eyepiece they put on their "water proof/all weather" big dog SWAN 83 APO spotter. Meaning that the scope and eyepiece combo is waterproof as long as the eyepiece is on the scope. The only difference about this eyepiece is that it is not the standard astro 1.25 barrel. It has some sort of proprietary connecting system like swaro, zeiss or nikon, etc. The connection to the scope is "water proof/ weather proof". http://www.williamoptics.com/telesco..._features.php#

EDIT: Keep your eyes peeled on ebay or WO's website. I got mine from WO on ebay for about 200 bucks. Sometimes they sell demos for a discount also.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default xw's

What about the XW fixed eyepieces. Do you have to modify for them to
    go in that last 1/8"?

Quote Originally Posted by cutty View Post
    What about the XW fixed eyepieces. Do you have to modify for them to
    go in that last 1/8"?

No, only the William Optics Zoom II. The Pentax XW's are fantastic by the way. Arguably the best astro eyepieces made. I had wanted to try an XW10 on mine but never did. That would be 39x.