Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Service Recommendations

Smile Fly Service Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good flying service that will take my brother (Alaska resident) and me (non-resident) into a decent drainage for sheep?

"Decent" is subject to interpretation. I certainly don't expect to be dropped into the valley of everyone's dreams, but I don't want to be dropped in death valley either.

We're open to ranges and would either go late August/early September this year, or book for 2009.

I guess what I'm looking for his a high character operator that I can communicate with as we make our decision.

Thanks.

Default Good luck

40 mile and Wright Air are a couple that come to mind.

I will bet you will not get a seat on a plane this year. You need to book now for next year. You may get lucky and get someone's cancellation.

Air operators will want to know where you want to go. By law they cannot say they have a spot where they can take as that is considered guiding. You need to find a spot to hunt then see if an air operator in the local area can take you in there.

Default What the heck....

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Air operators will want to know where you want to go. By law they cannot say they have a spot where they can take as that is considered guiding. You need to find a spot to hunt then see if an air operator in the local area can take you in there.
    are you talking about Please......show us the law you speak of.

GUIDING TAKES PLACE IN THE FIELD

• Guiding doesn't happen over the internet.
    • Guiding doesn't happen on the phone.
    • Guiding doesn't happen in the office looking over maps.
    • Guiding doesn't happen on the dock.
    • Guiding doesn't happen on the ramp.
    • Guiding doesn't happen in the airplane.
    • Guiding doesn't happen standing around the airplane talking after unloading.

Dude...an air taxi driver can fly around and look for game...show a person game...tell a person how big they think an animal is...tell tell a person which way the animals are going to move...tell a person where the hunters should be tomorrow to get a crack at them...tell a person where to camp and the air taxi operator can pick and/or recommend the spot or different spots to drop you off .

Like I said; please show us the law and I will eat humble pie.

I normally ask my pilot which units he drops in then I pick one. I leave the pilot to pick out the spot as he is usually going to have years of experience that will out weigh any research I do. Good flight services are usually out flying around in the summer/early fall dropping other hunters or doing other jobs and they scout out area's in preperation for upcoming hunters. They know where to drop you so I always leave it to them.

How much are you looking to spend? I second 40 mile. They have some reasonable rates are are easy to communicate with. They also know there area's like the back of there hand.

Air taxi can not fly around and look for game,they can fly you from A to B and thats about all a air taxi can do,now if you happen to be a guide with a plane thats a different story,flying and spotting is the name of the game. once again transporters by law can not fly and spot....this year for any transporter with a reputation is booked,40 mi in 09 is a good choice....

Another can of worms

AS 08.54.720. Unlawful Acts.

(a) It is unlawful for a

(12) person to knowingly provide transportation services to big game hunters without holding a current registered guide license or transporter license;

I'm still looking for the rules against spotting game, but I think it might just be in the ethics guidelines for transporters and guides. If that's the case, then it's up to your transporter's ethical beliefs if they will spot game for you or not. I know that before I got into the airplane at 40 Mile Air, Leif made it a point to let us know that we would in no way be spotting game from the air and that his only job was to get us from point A to point B safely. He indicated that he, as a transporter, wasn't allowed to help spot game.

Default was told

from another guide that the rule for no spotting game from a plane was dropped do to some tec wording.

Be warned: The drainages that consistently hold rams are already "claimed" by guides. I would dare say that no transporter is willing to "poach" a guide's area by dropping off DIY competition.

If you want to hunt sheep with your brother start your research for the 09 season now. ADF&G is pretty helpful--harvest data, population trends, hunter pressure etc. Once you select an area then you have to find a transporter willing to take you there.

When it comes to sheep hunting, the guide lobby controls access to the best areas.

Default Any proof in writing?

Hmmm. According to this thread all of the air transporters Ive ever flown with have broken the law every single time I have flown with them. Sounds like this is all un certain. AKDoug your post with the "Unlawful acts" says the pilot needs a Guide or Transporter license. Thats the only "rule" I found too. If it truly is Illegal then there is allot of law breaking going on every year by allot of transporters.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Try this guy...

Bill Wiederkehr. 907-745-4002. Major areas around him have gone to draw, but he knows where he could take you. Good luck.

Default What....

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    Air taxi can not fly around and look for game,they can fly you from A to B and thats about all a air taxi can do,now if you happen to be a guide with a plane thats a different story,flying and spotting is the name of the game. once again transporters by law can not fly and spot....this year for any transporter with a reputation is booked,40 mi in 09 is a good choice....

What law sheep man?

The wish it were so law maybe?

Default Wake up and smell the coffee dude...

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Another can of worms

AS 08.54.720. Unlawful Acts.

(a) It is unlawful for a
    (12) person to knowingly provide transportation services to big game hunters without holding a current registered guide license or transporter license;

That's too funny. Do people really believe that the above quoted regulation is a "law" even relevant to this discussion...oh well.

This isn't a can of worms either DUDE. It's just more of the same old BULL SYSTEM that guides want everyone who doesn't know any better to believe.

Here's how it is.

Air taxi's are federally licensed and authorized to carry passengers for hire.

Air taxi's are not limited to who they carry for what purpose.

If a person wants to hire an air taxi and fly around and look for game...or flowers it's the same thing. There is no way the State or guides can tell a federally licensed air carrier where they can carry 'the public' or where they can go or not go.

If a person wants to hire a plane...they can.

Not all air taxis are licensed transporters EITHER. That's why some KNOWINGLY provide transportation services to big game hunters; there is an exemption to that regulation.

It wont be long before we see "transporter" licensing go away entirely.

Transporter licensing was "dreamed up" by guides as a way to "control" the general publics access and ability to access game.

It's not working, in fact it's not legal and so the guide board is going to have give up on "the dream".

ANYBODY...show me one air taxi that has been "busted" for Knowingly flying big game hunters without a transporter license or advertising or spotting or flying around looking for game or for 'poaching' a guide area.

It has not happened. "Transporter licensing" regulations can not be enforced on federally licensed and authorized air carriers.

Default All true...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Be warned: The drainages that consistently hold rams are already "claimed" by guides. I would dare say that no transporter is willing to "poach" a guide's area by dropping off DIY competition.

If you want to hunt sheep with your brother start your research for the 09 season now. ADF&G is pretty helpful--harvest data, population trends, hunter pressure etc. Once you select an area then you have to find a transporter willing to take you there.

When it comes to sheep hunting, the guide lobby controls access to the best areas.
    I would dare say that any air taxi who is unwilling to take a client into an area because a "guide" claims the area is not an air taxi people want to hire.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Hmmm. According to this thread all of the air transporters Ive ever flown with have broken the law every single time I have flown with them. Sounds like this is all un certain. AKDoug your post with the "Unlawful acts" says the pilot needs a Guide or Transporter license. Thats the only "rule" I found too. If it truly is Illegal then there is allot of law breaking going on every year by allot of transporters.

It's not illegal friend. It's just another part of the BULL SYSTEM.

I've flown with more air taxi and transporters then i care to remember,and most all we tell you they can not fly for game. Wouldn't that be guiding by law????? alvalanche you've had it to easy hunting the park,get use to the rules buddy.....

Default statutes and reg for big game transporter

PLEASE READ # 9 (1) take every reasonable measure to ensure the safety and comfort of the client, including ensuring that while
    the licensee is providing transportation services
    (A) adequate supplies are present to provide first aid for injuries that are reasonably expected while
    providing transportation services; and
    (B) sufficient supplies are present to provide for emergencies, including food, clothing, and a source of
    heat;
    -24-
    (2) before leaving a client in the field, advise the client of the date, time, and location at which the transporter
    or registered guide-outfitter will pick up the client and the course of action the client should follow if the transporter
    or registered guide-outfitter is unable to pick up the client as planned;
    (3) transport the client into and out of the filed at the planned date, time, and location, unless prevented by
    weather, mechanical problems, or other safety concerns;
    (4) check on or communicate with a client in the field as agreed to before transporting that client;
    (5) clearly define rates and services to prospective clients before booking and acceptance of deposits, and
    shall avoid misleading prospective clients through false or fictitious advertising;
    (6) be willing and capable of making financial restitution to a client for any breach of contract owing to no
    fault of the client;
    (7) avoid staging unused or unattended camps and gear to discourage other users from utilizing a location;
    (8) endeavor to transport all meat of animals taken by clients, in accordance with state statutes and
    regulations;
    (9) avoid using an aircraft in any manner to spot big game for the purpose of taking a specific animal;
    (10) avoid utilizing, in any manner, global positioning system (GPS) or other electronic devices to

Default statutes and reg for big game transporter

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/pub/BGCSStatutes.pdf Please read until your heart is content...........there is not a transporter in alaska willing to loose his lic. for a fly around....

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    I've flown with more air taxi and transporters then i care to remember,and most all we tell you they can not fly for game. Wouldn't that be guiding by law?????
    Most all will tell you that? You are joking aren't you?

Why don't you take a crack at defining "guiding"; according to the law, for the rest of us?

I think maybe you just don't understand the difference between a person hiring an air taxi and a person hiring a guide.

I wont bother to explain to you what it means to hire an air taxi until you understand what "guiding" is not; by law, so let's try this again.

GUIDING TAKES PLACE IN THE FIELD

• Guiding doesn't happen over the internet.
    • Guiding doesn't happen on the phone.
    • Guiding doesn't happen in the office looking over maps.
    • Guiding doesn't happen on the dock.
    • Guiding doesn't happen on the ramp.
    • Guiding doesn't happen in the airplane.
    • Guiding doesn't happen standing around the airplane talking after unloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast