Thread: seating irregularites?

Default seating irregularites?

I have been work on new loads for my 375 H&H and when I seat the Barnes 300 GRN TSX I am getting irregularites that can run anywhere from .010 to .020th difference in OAL. I'm using redding dies. Any thoughts on this. I've checked everything and it's all tight and I'm not crimpping.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I have been work on new loads for my 375 H&H and when I seat the Barnes 300 GRN TSX I am getting irregularites that can run anywhere from .010 to .020th difference in OAL. I'm using redding dies. Any thoughts on this. I've checked everything and it's all tight and I'm not crimpping.
    Are you compressing powder? Sometimes that can push the bullet back up as soon as it is seated. Also, OAL is measureing form the bullet tip, there may be variations in the ogive of the bullet which is where the seating stem contact the bullet, not the tip. Normally this will just be a few thousandths, maybe .004"-.006". If all is screwed down tight and locked (dies) your powder may be pushing, that is a very long bullet. Try seating it out .030" longer, and do ten of them and see if those are all the same length. You can always seat deeper later. If these ten are the same length, it is likely powder. What is your powder and charge for this load?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default +1 on compressed charge

Tried to load the 270 Speers over a load that ended up being compressed in Remington brass. New brass at that. Bullets would push back up, I could watch 'em in the loading block. Didn't happen with W-W brass, nor in the Remingtons where I could crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I agree with Darreld and Murphy on the potential for creep. But to follow onto Murphy's point about the orgive.... Have you measured the length of the bullets to see if that also is varying about the same amount? It's easy to imagine a little runout at the tip when they make those bullets, even if dimensions to the orgive are identical. With lead-noses spitzers I'd expect as much variation as you're getting just because of the noses getting dinged around in handling. Without the lead, there's still the possibility of the bullets coming out of the box with variations simply due to runout before the bullets went in the box in the first place.

Default Runout

I had similar problems with my 338 loading Hornady SST with the ballistic tips. Had good success seating the bullet in increments and rotating brass 1 or 2x until fully seated?? Anyone ever had to do this?

A rather simple way to keep control of OAL is to measure with an ogive checker, measure from the base of the ctg to the end of the ogive checker with the loaded round inserted.

I have used this type for years with complete satisfaction. NOTE: you do not need the base piece. Just measure from the blade of your caliper.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...-0X&type=store
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Many different brands of comparators out there. They're the ONLY way to measure for oal in my opinion.

til later