Thread: Modifying a Keene A5

Default Modifying a Keene A5

I live in Georgia and the gold is real fine here, i have an A5 and I plan on taking out the carpet. I need you old pros to tell me what to put in it and the format. In other words say rubber mat first for x number of inches and then miners moss.

I was thinking the ribbed rubber matting might be best for the whole sluice, but I don't want to do anything till I get some good advice! I just want to be sure that if this fine stuff gets in my sluice it will stay there. I also want to be sure the riffles function properly with whatever I install.
    Thanks guys
    Duts

Default I missed the 2

This is about an A52 sluice, the 2 didn't make the page....

How fine is fine? If it's really fine stuff here is what I would do to that sluice.

Black ribbed mat for the first 6" then put a piece of burlap down and the put the miners moss on top, snap the stock riffles in it and your good to go!

Screen your material down to 1/4" minus before running it in the sluice and you should be in great shape!

I have the same sluice and bought the "new style" double ribbed carpet and put it in, works MUCH BETTER at catching the fines then the older style carpet, that's always worth a try to, not sure how fine of gold your getting in that part of the country. You can get the new style right from KEENE on their web site.

Let me know how you set it up and how it worked for you.

Curt

Default Sounds good!

That is about what I was thinking except for the burlap, what does that do make the riffles lock down tighter or something. I also thought about putting another strip of the ribbed matting at the last six inches to catch those last chance guys. But I don't know if all that is necessary.

Our gold is not like beach gold but it is a little on the fine side, we don't get a lot of big pickers or nuggets it is mostly flakes. I just check my tailings and I see some is getting through, I think I may have caused some of that. I was running my sluice a little to deep and overloading it to, I am not very patient so I have a tendency to dump to much in at one time, near the end of the bucket.

I just want to set my sluice up to work as effectively as possible, I don't think your going to get it all with a sluice. My buddy is kind of making me paranoid, because he was doing some things wrong and was losing gold for a year before someone set him straight. He can't imagine how much gold he lost, so I don't want to follow his example.

I don't get out enough to find much anyway, I just enjoy messing with the equipment and thinking about it. I will be going wen the weather cools down some, and I will let you know what I did and how it worked. Thanks for the info and good luck to you.

Duts

If it's bigger then flour gold, (small flakes and such) Then don't bother with the burlap, I would go with the new style double ribbed carpet under the riffles and the black ribbed matting for the first 5"-6" and that should catch 99.99% of it all. If you are losing gold then there is a problem with the set up (angle), water flow (to much) or feeding (to much not letting the riffles clean them selves). I check mine all the time and have never found gold in my tailing's. I run mine at about a 2" grade difference from the top to bottom and I have about 1" of free board left on the water level. Classify it down to 1/4" minus and run it so you have 50% of the carpet showing behind each riffle.

If you would like I could send you enough "new style" carpet for that sluice, it sure made a difference. I have enough to make it a one piece run. Let me know, if so just pm me you mailing address and I'll send it off.

Curt

Default Sluice set up

I just missed your message Curt, I would have taken you up on that very kind offer, and I thank you very much. I decided to go with your suggestion, I bought a foot of the ribbed matting and the rest nomad. I think the carpet would have been fine, and I would have been glad to pay you for it, but you are very nice to offer it.

I think the problem was mostly me running the sluice to deep, I know Keen makes a good sluice so it was me. The day I checked the tailings I know the box was to deep, and I was feeding it to fast, and I forgot my screens so I didn't classify the material. So heck I would have been surprised if there was not some flakes in the tailings. I just mostly wanted to jazz up my sluice, I just love to throw money away on stuff I don't need.

That carpet in the sluice now is just a year old, used maybe ten times so it was fine. But boy won't she look perty now, all the beavers will be talking. Heck I might even attract a moccassin with all that perty blue Nomad. I am about to join a new club that has some excellent properties here in Georgia, so I want to get everything right. I hope to finish this year with a bang, I haven't done squat so far.

I will let you know and thank you again for your help, it is nice to meet good folks on these forums.

Best of luck
    Ron Moore

Hope your set up works out, remember, don't be afraid to try different things, i.e. water flow, feeding and classifying. Good luck on the hunt and post the results so we can all enjoy!

Curt

a good source is looking at the alaska gold forum ..... doing a search for the pop and sons sluice setup .....

they recover alot of fine gold and also go from nome to all over the place and get good results.. They have great gold recovery with most of what they do if not all..

I did alot of thier mods and a few of my own and it works pretty well and I seem to get a better amount of fines compared to the stock A52