Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trad shooters

Default trad shooters

looking for some people that shoot long or recurve bows that live in Palmer geting board shooting by my self.

I'm off knick river road. I plan on starting wing shooting practice when I get back from my sheep hunt. Drop me a PM.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

pm me as well...
    I live close by and shoot longbow.

hehe someone said wingshooting?

Wow this picture is 4 or 5 years old now. I shoot birds with my bow frequently. And of course these birds were shot inthe air. I call and decoy them. That was my best day of wingshooting I have ever had.

Run Rabbit run!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice shootin!

Man the grouse lords must have been angry at me or something today. I saw only 1 grouse and missed a 17 yard shot... my only one too! DOH!! Oh well i diddnt want that one anyway.

I normally like to surround them first with arrows then finish it off

out hunting moose today and had to settle with 2 grouse. Put the stalk on two blackies but wasn't able to get close enough. Real fun day though the animals were out playin today.

Bowhunter89

Cool, I've taken Grouse on the ground or roosting but haven't yet conected wing shooting. Focused on bigger game now but watch out birdies, Tracy and the State of Alaska wont let me hunt sheep forever!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

haha rick. The only reason why I was able to connect to these ducks while in flight was the simple fact of sheer quantity of birds. I was on the swamp when the sky turned black with the northern flights coming into south central. I got about 20 shots and turned 5 into kills. I practice shooting ariel targets as well. Get yourslef ( or better yet make them ) some flu flu arrows and give it a whirl. One of the few things that are easier than what it looks and sounds like.

I have been shooting trad for a few weeks now. Slowly getting better at it. I have found that I shoot much better when I just let it happen over trying to think about my aim. Hope that make sense. I can put a group in an 8 inch circle at 10 yards these days, working on getting it down to 4 inches before I move on to 20 yards.

Going out to look for berries tomorrow and will take the bows along in case we see any grouse or ptarmigan. I am sure the birds will enjoy the laughs as we practice missing them.

not to be a smart @$$ but that is why the call it instictive shooting i have the same problem though you just have to pick out a small spot on the target. you do that and you'll get it every time.(almost

Haha i dont know about that TRADHNTR there is a lot of form involved and a MUCH longer learning curve with no sights than one with.

Still, it's hard to find any better way to shoot (traditional) for self-satisfaction. Keeping it simple can be hard work for some folks to get the hang. Takes time and practice. But the rewards are awesome.
    Life Member, Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Haha I guess I just cant appreciate my quick learning curve as a young person.

I just like to hear that there are just still men in this world that like to challenge themselves. The only form you need is to pull the bow all the way back to a consistent anchor point and the rest will take off from there. Good shooting

p.s how old are you bowhunter89. Don't tell me 89 was the year you were born.

Yeah trad hunter I am 19 years old born in 1989 haha. This picture was taken my freshman year in highschool. I just completed my freshman year in college and am shipping off to my sophmore year in college shortly.

With form your draw is very important to draw and anchor in the same place every time but there is more to it. The slight bend in your elbows, not gripping your bow, straight back, head position, blah blah blah. The thing I hate about discussing this is that proper form is the ONLY way to get truly good at archery. BUT overthinking these few but all important techniques causes many to have bad form and all kinds of other quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    Yeah trad hunter I am 19 years old born in 1989 haha. This picture was taken my freshman year in highschool. I just completed my freshman year in college and am shipping off to my sophmore year in college shortly.

With form your draw is very important to draw and anchor in the same place every time but there is more to it. The slight bend in your elbows, not gripping your bow, straight back, head position, blah blah blah. The thing I hate about discussing this is that proper form is the ONLY way to get truly good at archery. BUT overthinking these few but all important techniques causes many to have bad form and all kinds of other quirks.
    Gripping the bow too much is my biggest problem.

Seems to be a very common problem. Lucky for you its one of the easiest to fix too

I'm about ten mile outside of Palmer. I shoot a recurve, I have a 3-d deer set up in the woods if you want to come practice.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast