Thread: Boat ramp incident

Angry Boat ramp incident

Ok, I was at Whitter on 8/5 The tide was out so I went to the far dock. First lane there was two boats ready to come out. So I went the side next to the rocks. Well No boats but two kayaks on the ramp. So I waited a little bit. They continued to fart around. So I asked them if they are leaving or going. They said they are leaving and I should use the dock next to them. I told them no due to the two boats getting ready to get pulled out. I asked them to move there kayaks onto the dock until they are ready to leave. She said no. Then went on to say this is a kayak ramp along with boats. I agreed but I said it is courteous not to block the ramp. Boats we move or boats to the end of the dock so other boats can launch or recover. She told me what ever. I asked her how long she said she did know.. Well now my fun meter is pegged.

Next thing I saw was in the other dock a fiberglass boat left high and dry on the ramp leaning on it's side.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Was there Sunday the 3rd

and it was an awefull reminder of why I hate Whittier ramps. Sure the conreate was better, but the other ramp as you mention away from the rocks, had large (2') boulders dumped at the end. There was no way to launch over this without risking damage to my trailer. Always a zoo down there. No courtiousy at all.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

While the ramps can always be a PITA, it seems like there has been less traffic out there this season. Could also be I try and time my launch retrieves on non weekend days.

While I enjoy paddling as much as power, some of the paddle folks seem to have attitudes. They could easily enough pull the yaks onto the dock and make room, but why should they get out of the way of an evil fuel burning boat

The kayakers just had a rude and nasty attitude with me. I know not every kayaker is this way but lately they have seemed to think the ramp is there and there only. This is not the first time I had a run in with them.. Must be the dark cloud always over me
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default hook a rope

up to em and pull em out I say

Did you ask them if they payed the launch fees for both kayaks if not tell them to get off the ramp! Either way I would have probably asked the harbor masters office to encourage them to be courtious of ramp usage time

Ramp fee good point
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Where is the friggin harbor master!!??

It's thier job to kick those loafers off the ramp.

Angry Non-regulars

This is just a guess, but it seems that the people ,yaks or power boats, that don't go out very often are completely numb to the routine. They are there for their one big "outting" of the summer and milling about on the the ramp is part of the whole experience. ...Another story, I encountered an older couple taking a giant catamaran out on a loader with a trailer for dry docking, it was a very new 30ft Sea Sport, it isn't trailerable. It was mid-week, empty ramp, place was desserted, the guy was a cluster and an intense moron! We offered to help as he was struggling and very wet past his waders trying to hook up the boat. Instead of hooking on the bow and pulling it up with the crank, he would yell at the loader driver to drive towards the boat rather than use the eye hook. This went on until he finally figuered it out, than had the boat clear from the water yet on the angled ramp as he attempted another stupid thing of placing a rachet strap. He should have got it off the angle and avoid it all sliding off before messing with something else. Time to be loud and rude back and maybe the seagulls will know which ones to target!

I'd of backed her right in and fired up AK grey, bet they would have moved then....launch and get the hell outta the way! donkeys

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    I'd of backed her right in and fired up AK grey, bet they would have moved then....launch and get the hell outta the way! donkeys
    Heck heah I'd bet there was enough room for you to squeeze your boat past them.

First rude boat launch post I have seen this season ... think that it has anything to do with the price of fuel ... Oh yea those kayakers don't burn gas or deisel.

Glad I am semi retired don't see this kind of thing monday through thursday

Default Whittier Ramp

Just curious.........has anyone contacted the Harbormasters office while the ramp jamb is taking place? If so, what was the response, or lack there of?
    On several occasions, I have seen the Harbormaster parked at the far ramp watching the ins and outs, but have never seen any intervention. Just curious if they are aware of what is taking place, and if so, what there response is.
    The intensity at the ramp is often very intense, as everyone on this forum is aware. I was front row and center last week at a verbal (almost physical) altercation. The kayaker with the attitude would push anyones buttons! We all recognize and discuss this ongoing situation, the City of Whittier needs to get proactive before someone goes overboard, literally. Hopefully someone from the City is monitoring this site (as I know they do) and can respond or better yet, react!

Somtime I forget to tilt my o/b jet all the way down I think as I pulled away from the dock to "give them space to launch" I may have had one of those forgetful moments

Default Kayakers on a boat ramp

Call me drunk (which I am, stuck here in bethel and all) but I'de call em' pu$$ies, kayaks are for beach lauching, they could and should have been up on the rocks and clear of the ramp. That's why I like kayaks, I don't need a boat ramp. I love both sports, both calm my nerves and one fills my freezer. Oh well, I've been with the thumb twittlers at the whittier ramp as well, I even turned off my motor to paddle in around a dry suit scuba class once and they just watched me from two feet away as I struggled to get my boat on the trailer without power, if it ever happens again I'll just knock em' down as I power onto the trailer. Please don't hate all us kayakers, some of us aren't so uppety that we hate gasoline, and if I ever have my thumb out, that means I'm up for a powerboat ride back as the weather has turned fowl, and I need a cold beer and a warm bar. Better luck next time Grey, hope to see you on the water one day.

Chris

Default Harbor Master

Sure I went up and asked him to get involved in a guy who had his boat tied up to the dock for 45 min once. I explained why they called it a boat launch not boat parking. The HM got right on his case and untied him and we moved him back.
    But they don't see or hear every thing from min to min, and don't need petty stuff but he's always helped when asked.
    Cheating and sending a good looking wife don't hurt either, LOL.

Anybody know what happen to the boat that was left on the ramp high and dry?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gray,
    Next time ask once and after that just grab those banana boats and shove them out of the way. If the owners say anything give them a shove too. Morons

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    Please don't hate all us kayakers, some of us aren't so uppety that we hate gasoline, and if I ever have my thumb out, that means I'm up for a powerboat ride back as the weather has turned fowl, and I need a cold beer and a warm bar.
    Chris
    I think Chris makes a good point, I am not a kayaker, doesnt mean I wouldnt try it, Something we should be carefull of is forming biases, we are all boaters and I have seen all kinds of bonehead things happen at boat launches, I have seen boats sink while onlookers stood by and I have seen people jamb up the ramp due to their inconsideration (or lack of experience) for others, both powerboaters and non. I dont deal w/ those situations well and probably would have lost my cool.
    Something I have noticed, my attitude towards how I approach a situation has a big effect on the reaction I get. Sometimes gritting my teeth and offering to help the dumb asses to keep things moving can be more productive.

Thumbs down Thats Whittier......

Launching a boat in Whittier is a pain in the butt. I avoid the place except for a spring back bear hunt every couple of years.