Thread: Sterling Alaska for Moose

Default Sterling Alaska for Moose

Hi everyone, another question if you don't mind. Looking like I'm needing to change plans and instead of going to Graying lake area for Moose hunting I am considering Sterling.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Would this area be okay to take my wife along with me. She can hunt most areas but not too ruff. I don't want to put her in a difficult position. Would I better off taking someone else.

Also any advice as to where to go around there would be greatly appreciated. I am a non resident.

Thanks Ed.

My buddy lives in sterling. He hunts moose in the interior...

Your best bet for hunting around Sterling would be to get a canoe and go back into the Swanson River system. That would be your only chance of getting away from people. Most of the area gets hit pretty hard by the locals in the evenings or on weekends.

Find a place to park where there isnt anyone else parked, and walk to the north. There is moose there, and you'll probably not see another person. If its not accessable by wheeler, your chances are pretty good that you'll not see a single soul. My uncle hunts out there with great success, but hes not afraid to pack a moose a few miles like me.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Thank you everyone for your input. We have decided to rent the cabin in Sterling and my wife and I are really looking forward to hunting, fishing and just enjoying the beautiful wilderness that you are so proud of. Thanks again, and I'll check back in and let you know how we did when we get back. We are going Sept 5th until the 20th.

Anything else you think would be good for us to see or do please let me know. I want this to be a great vacation for both of us.