Thread: Fall Bear hunt

Default Fall Bear hunt

Looking for a fall bear hunt. As mentioned in my earlier post have lots of time and can go on short notice, to clarify I can't afford a $10,000-12,000 hunt but not looking for a freebee either!

Others on here can tell you better then me, but at this date (getting late to try for fly-in hunts) I think your best bets might be grizz in unit 13, or blackies on the Kenai Pen. Both accessible from the road, and you'd be doing the moose a favor!

Default bear in 13

thinking about hunting grizz in 13. guys in here are saying this is a bad year for berries so far. guess we just have to find them on the move or salmon streams.

Default Fall Brown bear hunt

Thanks to those of you who replied. Received several P.M.'s and hopefully I have chosen the right Outfitter. Look fwd to posting my results when I return.
    Wolfman4895

Default who

So who are you going with?

I'm going with an Outfitter out of Yakatak. Pls don't tell me that's not a good area! Or that my chances are squat! Although I'm still awaiting the contract so it's not too late to pull the pin, as they say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman4895 View Post
    Thanks to those of you who replied. Received several P.M.'s and hopefully I have chosen the right Outfitter. Look fwd to posting my results when I return.
    Wolfman4895

What do you mean by your going with an "outfitter"?

I mean someone who takes another hunting, providing personal services, food, lodging, and other supplies in return for monetary compensation. Although this may not be "Webster" definiftion, I trust it will safice.

Default Good luck

I think Avalanche wanted to know if you were going with a guide or a transporter?

Good luck on your hunt. I hope to see a story with some pics upon your return.

Sorry! Not up with all the different types of guide services. In fact, I had to look-up what a transporter was. I am going (tenatively)on a fully guided hunt with a registered Alaskan guide. We haven't finalized all the plans/contracts yet as we're having difficulty matching avail. dates so I feel it premature to say who!

As I mentioned in last post, having trouble aligning dates! Only dates we can come up with is late Oct to early Nov. Anyone got any experience this late? Will be hunting the coastline. We've been trying for early to mid Oct just north a nd east of King Salmon All opinions/advise greatly appreciated. As I will be tapping my saving I don't want to make a mistake. Can't afford a second go! Thanks

As I mentioned in last post, having trouble aligning dates! Only dates we can come up with is late Oct to early Nov. Anyone got any experience this late? Will be hunting the coastline. We've been trying for early to mid Oct just north a nd east of King Salmon All opinions/advise greatly appreciated. As I will be tapping my saving I don't want to make a mistake. Can't afford a second go! Thanks
    Wolfman, late October or early November is probably a little late; your odds are likely decreasing with each passing day that time of year. Especially in the area that is open north east of KS that time of year. By the way, north East of King Salmon is a long ways from Yakutat too.

How about a little more history on you. Where you from? Ever hunted Alaska before for anything? Ever been to Alaska? Know anybody that has done what you think you want to do? Ever been on any kind of guided hunt at all?

Anyway; if you can only afford one shot at it take your time picking the time and place to go. Get your mind wrapped around the concept that the total experience is what your paying for...not the kill.

Regrouping and going next year might be the best thing for you.

You could do a spring or a fall hunt next year so then you have a few more options to consider.

Do some more research. You are vague about whether your interested in coastal bears or interior grizzlies or just want to go bear hunting.

Keep looking till you find a guide or an 'agent' who you at least are comfortable with over the phone. Check some references. You might think about asking for some references of some of the guides hunters who did not kill too...most every body gives good recommendations if they tag out.

Be cautious about guides and agents offering "late cancellation notices" for this year too.

Wolfman,

PM sent.

Avalanche: To answer your questions, I'm from the northwest and all of my hunting has been in the foothills of the Rockies or the adjacent Plains leading up to them. Have hunted(and guided) for elk,moose,black bear Mtn lion, mule deer and whitetail deer. Have only been to Ak as a tourist and have only seen a handful of grizzly/brown bear and that was from a distance. I do know of several friends/aquaintance who have gone after both and have been successful and unsuccessful. I have leaned on their experience and contacts but none have openings for this fall. One nagging thought that keeps haunting me is the cost to get to an AK hunting camp. I have always wanted to go to Africa and it is no more $ to Fly from Seattle to S. Africa as it is to fly from Seattle to remote AK! Something seems a lillte odd when you consider the miles.Perhaps I'm too impatient and should heed your advice and regroup for a later date. Perhaps I should reconsider Africa vs. Alaska for my once in a lifetime hunt?

Why only once in a lifetime? Save your bucks and do it every few years... Oh wait, maybe you're married...

Brian

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Miles?????

I have always wanted to go to Africa and it is no more $ to Fly from Seattle to S. Africa as it is to fly from Seattle to remote AK! Something seems a lillte odd when you consider the miles. should reconsider Africa vs. Alaska for my once in a lifetime hunt?[/quote]

MILES???? heck the airlines have always raped us locals for trying to stay in state.... it is often cheaper to fly Fairbanks to Seattle or Vegas then it is to fly Fairbanks to Anchorage... Not to mention the additional 10,000 % They add on of you want to see a village.

Miles have nothing to do with it. it is called captive audience.
    Last edited by Vince; 08-17-2008 at 22:04. Reason: mis quote

Avalanche: To answer your questions, I'm from the northwest and all of my hunting has been in the foothills of the Rockies or the adjacent Plains leading up to them. Have hunted(and guided) for elk,moose,black bear Mtn lion, mule deer and whitetail deer. Have only been to Ak as a tourist and have only seen a handful of grizzly/brown bear and that was from a distance. I do know of several friends/aquaintance who have gone after both and have been successful and unsuccessful. I have leaned on their experience and contacts but none have openings for this fall.
    Good info. That will likely bring you some more suggestions from this forum.

Still not clear if you just want to bag a bear or you want a grizzly or a brown bear...maybe that doesn't matter much.

One nagging thought that keeps haunting me is the cost to get to an AK hunting camp. I have always wanted to go to Africa and it is no more $ to Fly from Seattle to S. Africa as it is to fly from Seattle to remote AK! Something seems a lillte odd when you consider the miles.
    It doesn't matter if a person is hunting or fishing or just 'touring'...for what it cost to come to Alaska and do this stuff a person can go anywhere in the world and do about the same thing for about the same money.

You just have to decide where in the world you want to go.

Perhaps I'm too impatient and should heed your advice and regroup for a later date. Perhaps I should reconsider Africa vs. Alaska for my once in a lifetime hunt?
    Trust me. If you go to Africa or to Alaska it will very likely turn into a once in a lifetime "annual" trip for ya!

I know of a place in Africa you could go to in January and have the hunt of a life time if you are into an old school style African hunt.

It's a safe country, on a private preserve. It's completely off the radar of the dudes doing the usual run of the mill African hunts.

You would live in a comfortable but primitive bush camp for 14 days. You would have a vehicle, a driver, trackers, packers, skinners and an interpreter. You would hunt with out a white professional hunter telling you what to do or what to shoot or judging your game for you. It would cost about the same as it would for a guided grizzly bear hunt in Alaska with a 'real deal' guide....provided you don't accidentally kill a female animal!!!

You could shoot a western roan and a western hartebeast and OR a western cape buffalo.

You could shoot some other stuff too for VERY reasonable "slaughter tax"; like bafons cob, 3 differnt types of dikers, waterbuck, warthog, and baboon.

It's a spot and stalk hunt not sitting in a blind inside a fenced area shooting farmed game over a water hole. It's like going back in time.

Avalanche: Want a brown bear, will settle for a grizzly! Have black bears out my back door, literally. As time is ticking down, unless I get a "call" in the week I'm going to pospone my plans and regroup ,as has been suggested. Thanks