Thread: Be careful fishing the Little Su

Default Be careful fishing the Little Su

There was another boat crash tonight.

I will not call it an accident when two boats hit in that river.

You would not go flying around blind corners in your car or rush at great speed into oncoming traffic in your car. Why do it in a boat?!!

Apparently two boats head on same side of river. Both 14-16 foot with 40 horses. One man in river no injuries.

Note to man that fell in river.... If you were in fear of your life you can press charges of Felony Assault. Actually this applies to all involved just talk to the D.A.. This boat was going slow the other boat(hydrolite) ran right over them.

What I heard is the Hydrolite is notorious for running full speed all the time.

----

I have slowed way down in the last couple days. I know what I can easily control but the shore folks may not. Especially when I run the East side of the island and drive between people.

I came up one time and there was elbow to elbow West side of island and a boat coming down sideways. The boat probably came off step and ate rocks BTDT.

--

The closest I have seen in the last couple days has been two guys on shore with a boat right across from them and as I come around a corner going downstream I am coming between them them as a Woolridge is coming upstream between them. I dropped the throttle which is like the breaks in my boat (so long as I am not in a powerslide) and the Woolridge slipped through right before me. As loud as I could I let the shore guys know that there must be enough room for two boats to pass. BTW that is the rule for people wading...you must leave enough room for two boats to pass. I was going slow enough as that part of the river is quite narrow and windy.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

BTW that is the rule for people wading...you must leave enough room for two boats to pass.
    RMiller can ya clarify this so I understand what your saying? As I read it I understand that if I'm out in the water fishing in my waders I need to leave room for two boats to pass bewtween me and the bank on the other side?

Did that happen right below the Boulder hole? We were anchored up there and heard what we thought were 2 boats hitting eachother followed by a lot of angry voices. The HydroLite boat was just a single guy driving it right?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    There was another boat crash tonight.

I will not call it an accident when two boats hit in that river.

You would not go flying around blind corners in your car or rush at great speed into oncoming traffic in your car. Why do it in a boat?!!
    Having been involved in a wreck on that river last year, I have to disagree with your assertion that no wreck on that river is an accident. All are avoidable with proper action from both drivers, but not all involve blatant disregard for others.

Mine, I was going downriver holding to the outside of the curve (which was to my right) at around 18-20mph. The other gentleman was coming upriver at a reasonable speed as well, but holding to the channel, which was his left. when it was apparent he was not steering out of my way, I turned toward the shallow inside (my left) and he also swerved that way, T-boning my boat. This was an accident. Either of us could be blamed, because both our actions caused it, but it was still an accident. He shoulda, coulda woulda stayed to the inside (his right) and given way to the downriver boat. I shoulda coulda woulda just stopped and stayed to my right. I will never again try to dodge a boat by going around it on the side it's supposed to be holding. I'll take trees to the right (there was no room to get any further right for me that time) over more stitches to the face. And, as good a job as Gary at Greatland Welding did repairing my boat, and as much as I like to support his business; I really don't want to require his services for hull repair any more.

Dumb, avaoidable, sure...but still an accident; not a malicious act.

That yellow speedboat I saw out there in June on the other hand....seems like that fella's just out to hurt someone.

you mentioned a yellow speedboat, is this the same idiot that was on sheep???

It is the same idiot that was on Sheep. The troopers are working on getting him. He will get caught eventually. I expect that were going to have a size and or horsepower restriction on the Little Su pretty soon.

AkRoadKill I understand your view.

My woulda shoulda for your incident is what would have happened if you slowed to 1 mph?

--

I had one boat hit me this year while I was backtrolling. He came around a corner and let off the throttle and drifted into me.

I just chuckled and he went by with an "I'm sorry" and my "its O.K."

If he had taken the same action as he did , in this woulda shoulda, he would have passed me on my left, I'd have throttled back up and my wife wouldn't be afraid of the river.

If you're getting at whether or not I'd have drifted into him anyway, I don't think so. Easy to second guess now, but I had to do something at the time. I made the wrong call and it hurt! fortunately, no permanent injuries, and nothing life threatening.

just a snippet out of ak boaters handbook, im sure (hope) you allready know but thought id throw it out there for all to see...

Head-On Situation (Rule 14)
    (a) When two power-driven vessels traveling in opposite or nearly opposite
    directions are in risk of collision, they are in a head-on situation.
    Each shall turn to starboard, so that they will pass port-to-port (just like
    cars on a road).
    (b) A head-on situation exists when a power-driven vessel sees another
    power-driven vesselís bow dead ahead or nearly so.
    (c) If there is any doubt as to whether a head-on situation exists between
    two power-driven vessels, assume that it does exist and be prepared to
    signal intentions.

The rule about shore anglers leaving enough room for two boats to pass on the deepest side of the river is posted at the Burma Little Su landing.

So today my son get his hook snagged on bottom and I position the boat to get the hook free. This guy in a Phantom or Phantom look alike comes barreling along and as he is getting closer I am thinking "is he just gonna run us over?".

He drops the throttle about 30 feet behind us and goes around shaking his head like I am doing something wrong.

He only could see us for about 500 feet and he has 30 feet of river on the deep side to go around.

Dude, dont go down during King Season if you cant handle that.

--

Second I come around the last pier just before the landing and I see a lot of the people still have thier lines in the water so I look behind to see if I am dragging lines and I hear my son screaming at me. I look forward and see a line stuck to the front of the boat. I drop the throttle into full reverse and the line gets reeled off the boat. I could not see whos line it was so I just yelled out at the whole dock. I said "Could you not hear me coming for the last ten minutes!" I got a reply of "no wake zone". These guys could see me for 10 to 20 seconds before I even got to them to boot.

I am still pissed. I was not in the no wake zone and I had gone out of my way to drive down the center of the river so not to run over the pier fishermans line of silvers.

There were not that many boats at that time. Was it too much to reel in 20 feet of line for what 10 seconds for me to go by? I believe that when I looked back that the cast was thrown in front of me.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Dont these people know how hard it is to get on step with a boatload of silvers.

i hear ya, things are definately changing down there. everyone has an attitude. people just arent as friendly or corteous as they used to be. i just try to stay away from everybody anymore. even boaters who boat out and fish from shore are giving dirty looks if you come by. it may be time to find a new place to call home. i definately dont need fish bad enough to put up with idiots and $@#holes.
    something i thought was odd last night. i "try" (just one more cast...) to stop fishing around 9:30 so i can get back and loaded and home at a reasonable time. i want to be loaded up before dark. my boat has headlights so i can see pretty darn good at night i just dont want to. anyway...im at the landing around 10:30. i couldnt believe how many boats were heading out as i was loading up. and im talking little boats with absolutely no lights, full of people, more than likely no pfd's (they werent wearing any, anybody!). i dunno people are gonna do what they want but i would never try to navigate the lil su at night with no lights or safety gear.

thank goodness my annual Valdez 10 day derby trip is right around the corner! i need a vacation!

I've got an 18 foot with a 65hp but its pretty slow. maybe 18mph upstream. My friends always give me a hard time about how slow it is, but I always remind them I've gotten them back alive for many years now

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Mine, I was going downriver holding to the outside of the curve (which was to my right) at around 18-20mph. The other gentleman was coming upriver at a reasonable speed as well, but holding to the channel, which was his left. when it was apparent he was not steering out of my way, I turned toward the shallow inside (my left) and he also swerved that way, T-boning my boat. This was an accident. Either of us could be blamed, because both our actions caused it, but it was still an accident. He shoulda, coulda woulda stayed to the inside (his right) and given way to the downriver boat. I shoulda coulda woulda just stopped and stayed to my right. I will never again try to dodge a boat by going around it on the side it's supposed to be holding. I'll take trees to the right (there was no room to get any further right for me that time) over more stitches to the face. And, as good a job as Gary at Greatland Welding did repairing my boat, and as much as I like to support his business; I really don't want to require his services for hull repair any more.

Dumb, avaoidable, sure...but still an accident; not a malicious act.

That yellow speedboat I saw out there in June on the other hand....seems like that fella's just out to hurt someone.
    See thats my fear. There are so many places upstream where you need to be in the channel, especially if you're like me and don't have a tunnel hull and can't run super shallow. I just pray the other driver is experienced with that river and understands that I'm not going to ram him, I'm just following the channel.

I see from reading these post that nothing has changed on the Lil Su as far as boater problems go. I worked that river when the weir was above Burma Rd back in the early '90's for a few years. A weekend never pasted that some one was asking us to call 911 about an accident. I have to agree with the poster that there should be a motor restriction should be on that river, I've been hearing that for years to no avail. I've seen everything from canoe's to rafts to jet ski's to big Woolridge's on that river and I'd say at least 90% of the boat drivers had no clue on how to run a boat let alone who has the right of way. Just my nickles worth..................

Exclamation The law

the law says the down bound vessel has the right of way the up bound vessel should always yield.... The best way to do that is to come to a stop and hold to the shore and let the the down bound vessel no matter what it is pass Safely..
    I too have been hit on the little su and have never returned

Default Yellow jet boat.

I know the name of the guy in the yellow jet boat. What did he do up at sheep creek? He has always had no respect for others. If anyone wants his name just pm me and I will give it up. I hate it when I see him on the river. Keep waiting to hear about a crash that involves him.