Thread: 30-378 info

Default 30-378 info

Anyone out there shooting or know of some AK Animal hunting good loads for 30-378? I have shot both sierra bullets and barnes original "X" but am finding the 180"s hard to find, now tsx seems to have replaced original. Just tested RL25 with the 180"S and WOW, avg 3450 fps and right @ MOA

With the Sierra's 165 HPBT # 2140,unreal, with RL19, very small sub MOA, I own the flyers, 3600+ fps but the bullets tend to break up after entry on moose, (great ld for sheep,goat n black bear) thus my change to barnes. Sierra with their lead tipped bullets will mushroom in the mag compromising the overall accuracy ( I may be splitting hairs here but accuracy is my goal). Any way I am looking for cost effective options as the barnes tsx are a bit expensive. Pls PM and I will share specific's as to charge weights I have shot,overall accuracy and FPS. FYI I shoot a Sako TRGS, 26" Barrel, factory stuff no mods.
    tks much
    grizschmitz@msn.com

Sure ther are lots of animals to hunt here in AK but why a 30-378?

Ok it's different, it's in a nice rifle, but what can it (and you) do that a 300 Winny can't do?

I generally lean towards bigger bullets for bigger case, more into the 200 and 220 grain and also for the higher velocity, only the strongest built bullets will stay together.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

A friend of mine has a 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird...His rifle spits out 200 grain bullets at 3350-3400 fps and 180 grainers at 3600+...At these speeds, he has had bad luck with even bullets as tough as the Nosler Partition...(I won't even tell you what happen when he hit a muley in the haunches with a 150 ballistic tip at close to 3800!)

Because of this he shoots 200 grain A- Frames because they will hold up at 3400 FPS...

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by grizschmitz View Post
    Anyone out there shooting or know of some AK Animal hunting good loads for 30-378? I have shot both sierra bullets and barnes original "X" but am finding the 180"s hard to find, now tsx seems to have replaced original. Just tested RL25 with the 180"S and WOW, avg 3450 fps and right @ MOA
    grizschmitz@msn.com
    I only know of one person who has used it. He's a friend from down below that uses the cal in 1000 yard competitions, and built up a lighter rifle for a moose hunt he was making up here. He was really set to reach out and tag one a long ways off, and he knew how to do it.

I can't recall which bullet he was using, but I'm sure it was the best he could get. But the point is, his long range shot turned out to be around 30 yards. Long and short of it, he about lost his cookies trying to clean up the mess. Vowed next time he used the rifle he was going to be passing up any shots inside 100 and probably inside 200. Asked me if I had any advice for stalking AWAY FROM a moose so he could get back far enough to shoot it.

Doesn't prove or disprove anything, but it sure is funny to picture a guy backing up to shoot, when all I've ever thought about is getting closer.

Default 30-378

Got a 300 winny and was wanting BIGGER. No plan on any over 300 to 350 yrd shots as accuracy (mine may suffer). Dont plan on not stalking closer either, heck my weapon of choice is my Robertson Stick bow.

The big gains I see (read) have been in energy, expecially down range energy with the 180's. Guess I need to work up some 200 gr loads slow her down and beef up the energy with mass. tks for the input