Thread: Whitter/Seward Report

Default Whitter/Seward Report

8/5 WHITTER
    Took some friends out from Maryland with there kids. Weather was raining and foggy. Went to Knight island and loaded up on sea bass
    Went to near Main bay for Yellow eyes and limited out there and load and behold I started to hook Lings left and right... They were are 33 inch range but I did get one that made the grade 38. Weather cleared up by the end of the day. we did pick up one pink

8/6 SEWARD
    Went to Pony cove. While trying to get my down riggers all set up I notice that my Deep six diver that I set out (boat wasn't moving) was going the wrong way so I reeled it up so it would not get into the engines. When I realized there was something on the end of the line. It was a 17# silver.
    After trolling in the morning we picked up A Pink. We headed out to the Chiswell. Seas were great and so was the weather. At the Chiswell I caught about 2 dozen lings and not one was big enough . My friend caught a 15# yellow eye what a monster. We limited out on yellow eye and decided to heade to Seal rock to show some sea lions and pick up a few bass and maybe see if there a ling or two there. Well again all lings did not make the grade. We picked up a few nice bass. So I decided to head back to Pony cove. Once there we mooched.
    I brought me line to the bottom and slowly reeled up and Wham fish one.
    5 cast after that same technique fish on again. In the end we ended up with 4 silver, 2 pinks, 3 yellow eye and a couple bass. What a great day to be on the water.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sounds like a great couple of days. Too bad about the small Lings though. All we got over the 3rd and 4th was a couple hundred shrimp and one 20# halibut. Don't get me wrong... we're glad to have caught what we did, but it would have been nice to pull in a few silvers or a ling or two after all the effort. Oh, and some better weather would be nice once in a while. This constant rain/mist/fog we've been out in lately is getting pretty old. Whatever happened to global warming?

By the way... What were you using to target the lings?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ling Whitter

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Nice Catch!!!

Looks like it was alot of fun. Gonna head out on Sat. to my "secret" little Lingcod honey hole. So far, weve been 4 for 4 on legal size lings, not too mention always limiting out on the Yelloweyes. Biggest Ling to date is 48 inches.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

That one yelloweye posted was 15#
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary, I've had good luck for lings W of Resurrection Bay and I've had great luck on large black rockfish both within the bay and outside the bay, but not much for yelloweye. Any particular type of area/depth you search for? Have you had any luck inside the bay?

Thanks,

SH

P.S. Planning on being in Seward all week, hope to see you down there.

John

SH, give me a call... I will tell you where to go for Yelloweye.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    8/5 WHITTER
    Took some friends out from Maryland with there kids. Weather was raining and foggy. Went to Knight island and loaded up on sea bass
    Went to near Main bay for Yellow eyes and limited out there and load and behold I started to hook Lings left and right... They were are 33 inch range but I did get one that made the grade 38. Weather cleared up by the end of the day. we did pick up one pink

8/6 SEWARD
    Went to Pony cove. While trying to get my down riggers all set up I notice that my Deep six diver that I set out (boat wasn't moving) was going the wrong way so I reeled it up so it would not get into the engines. When I realized there was something on the end of the line. It was a 17# silver.
    After trolling in the morning we picked up A Pink. We headed out to the Chiswell. Seas were great and so was the weather. At the Chiswell I caught about 2 dozen lings and not one was big enough . My friend caught a 15# yellow eye what a monster. We limited out on yellow eye and decided to heade to Seal rock to show some sea lions and pick up a few bass and maybe see if there a ling or two there. Well again all lings did not make the grade. We picked up a few nice bass. So I decided to head back to Pony cove. Once there we mooched.
    I brought me line to the bottom and slowly reeled up and Wham fish one.
    5 cast after that same technique fish on again. In the end we ended up with 4 silver, 2 pinks, 3 yellow eye and a couple bass. What a great day to be on the water.
    Lings only have to be 34" and not 38", right?

Lingcod . . . .July 1–Dec. 31.
    minimum 35” long with head attached, or 28”
    or greater in length with head removed
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

34". Good. Took family fishing at Chiswells a couple of weeks ago and actually thought it was supposed to be 36", so looks like the four that we kept were legal. I'm not sure where we caught them and can only tell by sight. We were right up against a cliff, fishing as close to it as I dare.

34"????? 35 is the magic number and in Seward the Pos limit is one per person.

Whitter is 2 per person
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I meant to say 35". Darned higher math.

The ones we kept were all at least 36".

I had 5 people on the boat fishing. They all caught lings, plus we had to throw some back that didn't make the measurement.

Default 2 per day/4 in possession

PWS
    Lingcod . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 1–Dec. 31. . . . . . .2 per day/4 in possession
    minimum 35” long with head attached, or 28”
    or greater in length with head removed