Thread: To the entrance and beyond......?

Question To the entrance and beyond......?

Question: Can anyone tell me what to expect when the NOAA forecast for Cape suckling to Gore point calls for seas to 4 feet.( or 7 feet or ??) I understand that paricular area forecast includes 100 Miles out into the Gulf. I know that the Big name charters out of Valdez go out there quite often for the big fish. Are things usually calmer in the early morning or evening ? Is there usally a swell? I have logged 2K GPS miles in two summers running around PWS and I feel its time to go out. Thanks for any info.

just be ready for a arse whipp'in when the weather report is wrong or it blows up in a hurry.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

there was a good thread a couple of ones down, titled "rough ride back to seward" that has some good info on the noaa forecasts and what information they use to determine them. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    just be ready for a arse whipp'in when the weather report is wrong or it blows up in a hurry.
    What Steve said. It can go from flat calm on top a 2 ft swell to triple the swell with a 3 foot wind chop on top of it in 20 mins.

Don't ask how I know.

Thanks for the replys. I expected alot of what was said. Dad spent 20 years with USCG and little bro 4, both with Arse Whippins' a plenty. Just trying to find some fish that might be worth the $30 a pound that I have been shelling out this summer. Heading down on Saturday AM for the last try at breaking the 100lb mark. I should be down there right now according to NOAA. Looks like by Tuesday the SE wind will quelch any hope of open water. Anybody know where the guys from Fairbanks were fishing a few weeks back that boated 6 100lb fish in 2 hours ???? I know they weren't out at Seal Rocks...........................

Default How Far?

While I usually put in at Seward, I often venture out east towards PWS and fish along the Capes east of Seward. It is basically open, unprotected water and good anchorages that are out of the weather are a good distance away if you are caught in the wrong spot. This last week was absolutely incredible. The seas were as flat calm as I have seen it when going over towards Puget Bay on Friday. After limited out on Silvers, Lings, and Butts' going back was exactly the same. Getting past Thumb Cove in Resurrection Bay was interesting as there was a huge storm building in the mountains and the wind was howling from the Southwest which makes for a nasty crossing sea. There were some really nice, steep, and mean looking 6-8 footers in there. I saw a few light 17 foot aluminum boats that were going out turn around at Thumb because it was too rough - and it probably was. But, I would say go for it if you have a boat that can do it, watch the weather, have a backup plan for when thing go to you know where, and really, really pick your days if you want it to be an enjoyable experience.