Thread: Homer Halibut Reports?

Default Homer Halibut Reports?

Does anybody have any halibut reports from the flat island area? We have been fishing compass rose and the sand flats mostly this summer. We are finding pretty good holes of fish, they are just all little ones. I was hoping some slightly larger fish (30-45 lbs range) have been moving into the flat island / pogi point fishing spots.

Thanks for any info, it will save us some run time and some fuel costs.

Scott

The Water Isnt As Warm As Last Year.....the Size Fish Your After Are Around Elizibeth Island Or Stay Close In The Kelp.....good Luck
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

You might go off of Flat about 10 miles or so. The big key to nice fish is patience. If you wait long enough sometimes they will come up the current to your baits if you get out enough scent. It has worked numerous times for me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

GOOD POINT PIKE, I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR SCENT...WE USE ONLY WHOLE HERRING CUT AND SCENT INJECTED....A CHUM BAG THE SIZE OF A BOWLING BALL AND LOTS OF HERRING OIL....WAIT ONE HOUR AND IF YOU DONT START KILLING THEM.....M-O-V-E....ITS VERY COSTLY TO FISH THIS WAY BUT THE RESULTS CAN BE MIND BLOWING ...HAVE FUN..
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Warning

Quote Originally Posted by boneyardbaits View Post
    GOOD POINT PIKE, I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR SCENT...WE USE ONLY WHOLE HERRING CUT AND SCENT INJECTED....A CHUM BAG THE SIZE OF A BOWLING BALL AND LOTS OF HERRING OIL....WAIT ONE HOUR AND IF YOU DONT START KILLING THEM.....M-O-V-E....ITS VERY COSTLY TO FISH THIS WAY BUT THE RESULTS CAN BE MIND BLOWING ...HAVE FUN..

If you go down by Elizabeth or any of those islands, and you choose to anchor, be careful. The fishing may be awesome, but alot of that is becuase of structure, and when I say structure, I mean ROCKS. Alot of rocks. We already lost one anchor there earlier this year. It quickly taught the importance of picking good tides to fish.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Will the halibut be in the same general spots this weekend as they were in mid-July? We fished 2 good holes close to Homer in July and was wondering if the fish are still close to town (+/- 10 miles) or have they started moving out.

You'll be fine it's still early. I don't think they will have moved much, if any.